Question for Pam in California - Bringing Ashes on Board for Scattering

rayandshirl

I have already made arrangements with Princess to have my husband's ashes scattered on an August cruise to Alaska.

I will be purchasing the required biodegradeable urn this week.

Pam, my question for you (and thank you for your post on your experience; it really was a road map for me to follow) is did you pack the biodegradeable urn in your suitcase or did you carry it on the plane?

I do thank you.

We just scattered my mom's ashes in the Pacific Ocean on a Princess ship this last week. You are required to carry the ashes through security at the airport and security in the cruise terminal. I carried my mom's ashes in a biodegradable urn which I placed in a Princess bag. I placed bubble wrap around the urn so it wouldn't get crushed on the plane or going through security.

When you approach TSA agents at the airport notify them that you have human remain ashes in one of your carry-ons. They will assist you with getting the ashes through security. In our case when I approached the individual who checks your passport and airline ticket I told them about the ashes. They told me what line I needed to be in and told me to inform the TSA agent in charge of the scanner/xray. That individual placed an object underneath the container holding the ashes which was placed in one of their trays and sent it through the machine. Everyone of the TSA agents we came in contact with was so nice and each one said they were sorry for our loss.

I did the same thing at the terminal but they just ran it through after mentioning the ashes to the person running the machine.

Princess should send you a letter informing you what you will need to do in order to spread the ashes. We had an appointment with one of the officer the day after we embarked the ship. He took copies of all the paperwork they require, and asked when we would like to spread the ashes. He notified the appropriate individuals on the ship and we showed up at the assigned time. He took us to the back of the ship to a small open area off deck 7. He told us we could have as much time as we wanted and even volunteered to video tape or take pictures of the event for us. After tossing the urn in the water we stayed until we couldn't see it anymore. The officer was very helpful and understanding. They recorded the event in the ships log and gave us a copy. Very nice touch.

You have no idea how relieved I feel after reading your post. I do have a letter from Princess (I scanned documents to them initially with my request to spread my husband's ashes) letting me know that they will contact me once I am on the ship.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at the air terminal and the cruise terminal.

I will do exactly what you did and know it will come out fine. Thank you again.

Just another mention of how well Princess handles this event. When I arranged this for my sisters ashes, Princess had a letter in my cabin waiting for me with all the details. We met with the staff person to discuss if we preferred a sunrise or sunset time to carry this out. At the selected time, Princess had the back of the ship roped off on deck 7, with crew members on either side guaranteeing our privacy, had a table set up with a beautiful arrangement to place the container while we filmed the entire process. We were not rushed, in fact just the opposite, we were told to take all the time we needed. Kudos to Princess for the way they handled this sad time. We also got a copy of the captains log which told the time and the exact coordinates latitude and longitude of the spreading of ashes.

I took my Mothers ashes in carry on with death certificate and note saying she had had artificial joint ...over kill perhaps but TSA did look at it all ,they were respectful .

I have looked into this some and have read others experiences in doing this on another Carnival Corp line. The link posted above with TSA and airline requirements states the container must be able to be x-rayed - do you (or anyone) know if salt urns meet that criteria?

We prearranged a meeting with the officer prior to our cruise. We were told they would be expecting us at the prearranged time. At the prearranged time we went to the customer service desk and told them we had an appointment about scattering ashes at sea. They contacted the assigned officer who came immediately to talk with us. They took us to a semi-private area where we discussed the process and selected a time.

I suggest, if you have not received a letter in your cabin by the end of the first day that you contact the customer service desk and ask to speak with the officer assigned to assist you.

Just a note: we brought along a copy of the death certificate, the application and permit for disposition of human remains that was provided by the mortuary and a copy of the description of the urn. The officer did make copies for their records to show they were in compliance with international laws.

Princess does not charge a penny for this service. Like said earlier, everyone was wonderful and very helpful.

Make sure you have an email from Princess and carry it with you on the ship.

My mother brought her mother's ashes on board to scatter at sea. Princess was suppose to email the ship with a copy to my mom. Well, they didn't. The crew on the Ruby did work hard to get permission from both the captain and the environmental officer and the ashes were scattered.

We did the scattering at the aft end of the ship on the Deck 7. The ship provided a couple of people block off the area so we could have the ceremony in private. They provided a small table and a Bible.

As mentioned earlier there is no charge.

to the op, i'm sorry for your loss. i hope your experience is a serene, calming good-bye to your husband. thank you to everyone for telling of your experiences. i am heartened to hear how wonderfully you are treated by security and especially by princess at this very emotional time.