Excursion help please

Lois R

Lois

As many have mentioned, one cannot see Florence in a few hours. But you can soak up the ambiance and experience the living museum that is Florence.

I can send suggestions of places for lunch if you wish.

Florence is extremely hot and crowded in the summer months with tourists but many Florentines leave for vacation.I would suggest going to the library and borrowing an eyewitness guide to Florence and then mapping out what you want to see knowing you will be facing crowds.

It's also true that many of the museums will have long queues to get in. If you can get tickets online in advance that will help.

The bus sounds like a convenient method to get to Florence.

My DD lived in Florence for awhile and I was lucky enough to spend some time there.

Lois

As many have mentioned, one cannot see Florence in a few hours. But you can soak up the ambiance and experience the living museum that is Florence.

I can send suggestions of places for lunch if you wish.

Florence is extremely hot and crowded in the summer months with tourists but many Florentines leave for vacation.I would suggest going to the library and borrowing an eyewitness guide to Florence and then mapping out what you want to see knowing you will be facing crowds.

It's also true that many of the museums will have long queues to get in. If you can get tickets online in advance that will help.

The bus sounds like a convenient method to get to Florence.

My DD lived in Florence for awhile and I was lucky enough to spend some time there.

Hi, yes, I think for my first time visiting, the cruiseline's offering will be good:)

I would LOVE some lunch suggestions:)

Thank you so much!

Edited by Lois R

Hi, yes, I think for my first time visiting, the cruiseline's offering will be good:)

I would LOVE some lunch suggestions:)

Thank you so much!

Florence is one of my lifetime favorite Italy cities. First visited Florence in 1985 and have been back several times. For a nice lunch with a view I would recommend Golden View Open Bar. Cross the Porte Vecchia from the heart of Florence, near the Uffizi Gallery, and take the first left on Vie de' Bardi. Golden View will be on the left. Good food, vino, and a great view of the Ponte Vecchia from their outside terrace.

Thanks Randy, have a question......I was planning to do the Accademia Museum to see DAVID........not the Gallery though.

Is this near the restaurant?.....I don't know the distance from one to the other.......

Thanks Randy, have a question......I was planning to do the Accademia Museum to see DAVID........not the Gallery though.

Is this near the restaurant?.....I don't know the distance from one to the other.......

Distances are hard for me to judge in Italian cities. I get so energized that walking five or six American blocks doesn't bother me. You really should see David....absolutely glorious....but you should go to Ponte Vecchia too. Like someone else said there is so so much to see in Florence you could spend days and probably weeks and not see it all. Kind of half way between David and the Ponte Vecchia is Piazza della Repubblicia. There are three pretty good restaurants there and we like Fiorino D'Oro the best. Not quite the view of overlooking Ponte Vecchia but still a nice atmosphere of an Italian piazza and it is, as are all, a "sidewalk" restaurant.

Edited by Randyk47

Lois,

You will receive lots of suggestions about what tours to take, and to be honest all of them will be worthwhile.

My personal vote would go for hiring a taxi when you arrive. They sit just by the dock and you can negotiate with them. I'd take the route up to Pisa, but not to stop there for any time, just to take a photo of the Leaning Tower, and then back in the taxi and on to Lucca which is one of the loveliest of Italian walled cities if that isn't too big a word for such a small place. There is a lot to see in Lucca and it is all walkable. You will find lots of local food for you lunch. There are also a number of interesting houses and museums open to the public.

Florence is indeed a wonderful city and if at all possible deserves a whole trip on it's own. Lucca on the other hand will leave you feeling more relaxed and you'll feel you have seen most of it.

In Palma I wouldn't bother with any tours but simply take the SS bus into town. It normally drops you off by the Cathedral. There isn't too many tours in Majorca worthwhile. There may be one to the caves of Drach. Another to Soller perhaps via the trolley bus. Majorca became over touristified in the 60's and 70's because it was a cheap short flight for most of Europe. But Palma has been reclaimed back to a rather elegant, dignified and refined capital. Just behind the cathedral is now a pedestrianised old town fall of small tapas bars and old palaces. I'd waste an hour or two just wandering around aimlessly.

Ask anything more about any of your other ports after you have researched and made a shortlist.

Hi Jeff:)...Thanks for your suggestions........I am traveling solo and a cab by myself to Florence is not appealing to me.

If I go with the cruiseline, at least there will be some other folks to chat with:)....

Randy, maybe my question was a bit confusing....do you know if the restaurant you recommended is near The Academmea

Museum? I don't mind walking:)

Jeff, we have a day and 1/2 in Livorno.......I could do Lucca on the morning of the 2nd day.....and thanks for the tip about Mallorca......that

sounds good.......just to walk around:)

If you want company then of course the coach trip will be best if you cannot find company for a taxi. However if it is a chargeable coach trip, check prices and check with TA for up to date taxi trips prices as some of the SS prices are way over the top. Also, on a Pisa / Lucca trip coaches will spend too long in Pisa and not enough time in Lucca.

Anyway .... that's me done. Enjoy your choice.

Jeff, I was not trying to be rude......I honestly do appreciate your suggestions:D,,,,,,,,first time visiting these places so it is alot

to process.

Randy, maybe my question was a bit confusing....do you know if the restaurant you recommended is near The Academmea

Museum? I don't mind

Then I would do the easy walk to Piazza della Repubbilcia and eat at one of those restaurants.

An easy way to get an overview of the main sights of Florence (or most anywhere in Europe) is to go to Rick Steves' web site and view episodes of his TV shows. He has one episode on Florence and another on other Tuscan cities (as I recall, Lucca is included). Not only does he give some background and history, but you also see locations, which can be very helpful when you're in an unfamiliar city. A fun way to prepare for your cruise stops.

Lois,

Take a look online at the map of Florence, it should give you an idea where you will be when you see the David. I am a little confused by your email that you are going to see the David but not the gallery. The David is in the Galleria dell'Accademia, which is on Via Ricasoli in the San Marco area.

I have not taken the bus through Silversea and I do not know exactly where it will drop you.

I stress to you that in August many Florentines are on vacation out of Florence and many restaurants are closed. On August 15th it is a national holiday where many places are closed as well.

You will need good and sturdy walking shoes and you will need to have an idea of what you want to see which is why I and others have suggested that you need to do a little research now so that you can plan accordingly. Believe me, it will pay off greatly, you will have some peace of mind and a plan.

i know most libraries do have the eyewitness guides which you can borrow, maybe you can even get a copy on ebay.

i will try and help as i can.

Hi,:) my post was not clear......I know David is in the Accemdia......I was referring to the UFFIZI Gallery.....I was not planning to do both.......

I have good walking shoes:D....I wear them on a daily basis when I walk in the evenings every day.

I will sit down with my friend GOOGLE and read more closely about Florence.

Hello Spins.

You mentioned earlier that August 15 is a national holiday and many places will be closed. My DW and I will be on the Muse in Taormina on the 15th. Will it be worth venturing into town or should we just stay on the ship?

Thanks.

I checked the itinerary again and we are in Livorno on August 16th and 17th:)...so no worries about closures for me:D

Good morning:)......ok....another question please.........I am staying in Barcelona 2 nights pre-cruise. I was going to book

a tour with "Barcelona Day Tours" for the 2nd day..... I have read alot of threads over on the Spain forum that paying for

a tour is not really needed. Would ya'll agree with that assessment ? I have read there are "Free walking tours"........

I am weighing the pros and cons before I pay the Tour Company any money. Free is always good;)