Excursion help please

Lois R

Good morning:)......ok....another question please.........I am staying in Barcelona 2 nights pre-cruise. I was going to book

a tour with "Barcelona Day Tours" for the 2nd day..... I have read alot of threads over on the Spain forum that paying for

a tour is not really needed. Would ya'll agree with that assessment ? I have read there are "Free walking tours"........

I am weighing the pros and cons before I pay the Tour Company any money. Free is always good;)

Barcelona is great. We've only spent two days there and like any major city there's no way to see it all. Personally I would take the tour, maybe even the first day, and wander on my own the second day. A warning here is that the pickpockets were working the area around Sagrada Familia really heavily when we were there. Of course that's an unfortunate truth in probably most major city in the world so just a reminder.

Consider the hop on hop off bus in Barcelona which will take you to most of the important sights. Barcelona is a walkers paradise and the distances seem to melt away.

If you are in the market for a custom leather jacket, try Pelleteria Solsona on Rambla de Catalunya 14. If the elderly owner is there and you manage to leave without buying something, it will be a miracle! We bought a jacket one year and brought it back the following year to have a stitch repaired. They did it perfectly and with no charge.

Gaudi's Parc Guell is a must-see. You need transportation to it from the center of town. The hop on hop off bus drops you near it at the bottom of a very steep hill you have to climb. Or take a taxi. There is lots of walking inside the park but it is spectacular as are the views over the city.

if you can get tickets in advance to la Sagrada Familia you will have made a wise investment. We took a tour which brought us to Park Guell and the cathedral, and our tour guide had tickets which bypassed the ginormous lines inside the edifice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Barcelona is great. We've only spent two days there and like any major city there's no way to see it all. Personally I would take the tour, maybe even the first day, and wander on my own the second day. A warning here is that the pickpockets were working the area around Sagrada Familia really heavily when we were there. Of course that's an unfortunate truth in probably most major city in the world so just a reminder.

Hi Randy,:) thanks for the reply. I can't do it on the first day...the tour company has availability for day 2, which I am fine

with to be honest with you. I can walk around the area on my own the first day.........if the Market is within walking distance

of my hotel I will probably do that......not sure how I am going to feel after flying all night....will just play things by ear on

arrival day.

Lois, we've visited most everything in Barcelona on our own without a guide, and only using public transport. It's not that hard to do. If you want to take a guided tour, by all means do it, but there is no compelling need, IMO. There is enough to see on your own in two days...you will want to come back, I think! And it's relatively easy to DIY.

I'd concentrate on the stuff close to town and not go too far out, if you only have two days. Park Guell, while definitely worth the visit, is a ways out and may eat up a lot of time. We didn't get there until our second visit.

I'd definitely buy tix to Sagrada Familia a few days ahead of time, so you can actually get in. Try for one of the other Gaudi buildings too if that interests you - Casa Mila or Casa Batllo. Then spend the rest of the time seeing sights close to your hotel, in the Gothic Quarter and the Harbor.

If you have time, head out to Barceloneta and Parc de la Cuitadella to enjoy the open air and the different views. Montjuic is nice but again it's a bit far out, and it's huge, so it eats a lot of time. It's worth the view at sunset if the weather is nice, but it will take time to get there.

There is a ton to do in BCN. Have fun, don't try too much, and arrange a second visit!

Lois, we've visited most everything in Barcelona on our own without a guide, and only using public transport. It's not that hard to do. If you want to take a guided tour, by all means do it, but there is no compelling need, IMO. There is enough to see on your own in two days...you will want to come back, I think! And it's relatively easy to DIY.

I'd concentrate on the stuff close to town and not go too far out, if you only have two days. Park Guell, while definitely worth the visit, is a ways out and may eat up a lot of time. We didn't get there until our second visit.

I'd definitely buy tix to Sagrada Familia a few days ahead of time, so you can actually get in. Try for one of the other Gaudi buildings too if that interests you - Casa Mila or Casa Batllo. Then spend the rest of the time seeing sights close to your hotel, in the Gothic Quarter and the Harbor.

If you have time, head out to Barceloneta and Parc de la Cuitadella to enjoy the open air and the different views. Montjuic is nice but again it's a bit far out, and it's huge, so it eats a lot of time. It's worth the view at sunset if the weather is nice, but it will take time to get there.

There is a ton to do in BCN. Have fun, don't try too much, and arrange a second visit!

Thanks for your input:)....I appreciate it very much......gives me some more food for thought. I guess I haven't

researched enough...........what is the Sagrada Familia? Family of Sagrada.......

Lois, Sagrada Familia is truly amazing. We were last there in August, 2012 and spent over three hours there. We just used the audio head sets and found them very good. They had lots of information and you could skip the more detailed parts if you wanted an overview. I kept tapping into the more detailed bits which is why after three hours I still didn't see everything. We are planning to go back in 2018. The advice to buy tickets prior is a good one. We went as soon as Sagrada Familia opened which meant the crowd was small when we first arrived.

Julie

Lois, I have not read all of the posts on this thread so my apologies if I am repeating anything.

Anne Marie and I love Barcelona and have been there many times including pre cruise stay, day stays overnight stays and we will be there again next year on a post cruise stay.

It is fine to walk around the city as mentioned. With a map you can see lots of things. (be sure to visit the meat market too).

The point I wanted to make (and sorry if this has been made already) is Barcelona is one of those cities where pickpockets are out there.

This is a city where we leave all jewelry in a safe (hotel pre and post cruise and ship when on a cruise) except for an inexpensive watch. Also this is a place where I just carry some money and one credit card and leave rest in safe as well and I use a travel wallet which I keep under my shirt. I use an average price camera and leave my better one in Hotel or Ship. And do not carry passport around as I wouldn't do in any city anyway unless I was required by the local city or country.

Once again it's a lovely city but as long as we've been going there it has more pick pocketing then you see in the average city (like a Naples) and just feel that taking extra precaution is wise. My other recommendation is just to be observant as you walk the city. When it is more crowded that is when you just have to be a bit more careful.

Keith

HI Keith, thanks for your reply. It is always welcome. It sounds like I should not even wear a cross body bag:eek:.....

fortunately my shorts/pants all have pockets........maybe I should just bring a credit card and some cash, along with my

hotel key and put them all in my bra area:eek:....seriously.

Lois, a cross body bag is what my wife often uses, although in Barcelona. This is just one of those places that

I wear a wallet that goes over my neck and under my shirt. It's probably one of ten places that we do this (Naple,

Lima, Buenos Aires, etc.) With lots of tourists there that time of year they just target them. Odds say you won't

have an issue but it's just one of those cities that have more issues with pick pockets and it has been going on

as long as I can remember. Police a bit better now then they were many years ago.

If you are not taking photos the cross body bag would be great. I just would be concerned holding a camera and someone

cutting it off you.

Lovely city.

IMG_4804.jpg

Early in the morning before the tourists and locals are out and about.

IMG_4808.jpg

IMG_4821.jpg

IMG_4805.jpg

Keith

Keith, your pictures are AWESOME:D......thanks for sharing......I am no longer a camera person and so picture taking is

not what I do anymore. So, I will find a small crossbody bag and use it.:)

The Sagrade Familia is the one thing you must see in Barcelona. We are awed every time we go there. Tickets are timed admission, and you can (and should) buy them online before you leave. You don't need a tour there - in fact this cathedral is probably best experienced alone. It is an amazing and very moving experience. You will need to take a cab from your hotel (which as I recall is near the old cathedral). The Boqueria market off Las Ramblas is an easy walk from your hotel, also worth seeing.

The HOHO bus in Barcelona is excellent - there are a couple routes which will take you to everything you need to see EXCEPT Sagrada Familia. The HOHO bus departs from Placa Catalunya at the top of Las Ramblas, also a short walk from your hotel. The Cathedral Barcelona (old Cathedral) is also a worthwhile sight, and is right across the plaza from your hotel. A good spot to see while jet lagged.

Keith, your pictures are AWESOME:D......thanks for sharing......I am no longer a camera person and so picture taking is

not what I do anymore. So, I will find a small crossbody bag and use it.:)

If you get one of the travel crossbodies (Travelon, etc) they have a metal cable embedded in the strap, preventing a cut and grab, and mesh in the sides to prevent slash and grab. As long as you are at it, make sure the bag (or your wallet, or both) is RFID blocked so your credit card is safe.

If you get one of the travel crossbodies (Travelon, etc) they have a metal cable embedded in the strap, preventing a cut and grab, and mesh in the sides to prevent slash and grab. As long as you are at it, make sure the bag (or your wallet, or both) is RFID blocked so your credit card is safe.

Thanks...I know what you are referring to.........I have some cross body bags here at home......will see if I will use one of

them or go shopping for a new one:).......

Thanks...I know what you are referring to.........I have some cross body bags here at home......will see if I will use one of

them or go shopping for a new one:).......

Hi, just keep in mind the conflicting desire not to be injured against protecting possessions.

It is in my view much much better to keep the essential stuff in the hotel safe ie passports, tickets, credit cards etc but just have with you what you need for the day. If you are not carrying a camera and only small amounts of cash for the day it is better to have cheap bags that can be snatched easily than have bags that attatch them to you and might involve pulling you along the pavement or road or bad people using knives to cut them away from you. These attacks are becoming increasingly violent with people on bikes and motor scooters and motor bikes.

In other words, let them have the stuff and do all you can to be physically safe. My strong suggestion is forget trying to keep hold of your bag and do the opposite ie let them have it. It is unlikely to happen anyway.

Enjoy your trip.

On my first visit to Barcelona, reading and hearing all the warnings about pickpockets frightened me so much that I could not relax and enjoy walking on Las Ramblas. I relaxed a lot more on my following visits. I always take a purse with a strong zipper closure and leather strap that I can wear crossbody on all trips to Europe as well as to my local shopping mall in the US. It's a good precaution. I also don't carry my passport or more cash/cards than I need - anywhere.

I've only met a few people who have been victims and most incidents seem to have been on public transportation or in crowds. So I avoid those things in Barcelona, and you might want to do the same. Also met several folks who had things stolen from fanny packs or backpacks. Probably not a great idea either. But generally speaking, i feel a lot safer walking around most cities in Europe than big cities in the US. Barcelona is a super fun city, so be sensible - but have fun!

On my first visit to Barcelona, reading and hearing all the warnings about pickpockets frightened me so much that I could not relax and enjoy walking on Las Ramblas. I relaxed a lot more on my following visits. I always take a purse with a strong zipper closure and leather strap that I can wear crossbody on all trips to Europe as well as to my local shopping mall in the US. It's a good precaution. I also don't carry my passport or more cash/cards than I need - anywhere.

I've only met a few people who have been victims and most incidents seem to have been on public transportation or in crowds. So I avoid those things in Barcelona, and you might want to do the same. Also met several folks who had things stolen from fanny packs or backpacks. Probably not a great idea either. But generally speaking, i feel a lot safer walking around most cities in Europe than big cities in the US. Barcelona is a super fun city, so be sensible - but have fun!

Hi, too bad you felt so scared you didn't enjoy your trip:eek:....not sure when walking around how I would avoid crowds...I am

not going to be sightseeing in places that don't have other people. And I am planning on gong to the big market everyone

talks about.......I will just be careful.....your first sentence almost sounds as if you wish you stayed inside your hotel:(

I will see about either not using a crossbody bag at all or a smaller one than I normally use and I will just stay aware of my surroundings.

I am going on tours with the cruiseline but I haven't booked anything in Elba.......have any of you been there before?

Is it one of those "walkable on your own places"? I looked at the Italy forum but it must not be a very popular stop......

the only threads I could find were quite old.