P&O What do we need to know?

We have booked a cruise on the Pacific Dawn. We have cruised many times with P&O, but our last cruise with them was in 2012. Since then we have cruised several times on Princess and once with Celebrity.

Is there anything we need to know that might have changed since 2012?

The thing that annoyed me the most was the procedure for booking a table in the MDR. You need to call and select from the available times or book with the reservation Ladies outside the MDR. This has to be repeated everyday, either the night before or on the day. Even with this system, there was always a lineup to get into the MDR.

There are limitations on what drinks you can bring onboard.

Quote from P&O web site.

"The following beverage items cannot be brought onboard any P&O Cruises’ ship:

• Plastic and glass bottled drinks (opened or unopened), including water;
  • Slab packs (cartons) of canned drinks;
  • Tetra pack drinks (including fruit juice poppers).

Each guest may bring onboard a maximum of 12 canned drinks loosely packed in carry-on (hand) luggage."

My last P&O cruise was in 2015 but I am going on a comedy 3 dayer in July if there is anything in particular you want me to suss out, just let me know.

Thanks for the offer. My cruise is a 'last-minute special' later this month. If you want me to check out anything for you, please let me know. :)

The thing that annoyed me the most was the procedure for booking a table in the MDR. You need to call and select from the available times or book with the reservation Ladies outside the MDR. This has to be repeated everyday, either the night before or on the day. Even with this system, there was always a lineup to get into the MDR.

I agree that P&O do not do 'Your time dining' well. (That is a massive understatement). :) I plan to go to the reservation desk when we board. On our last couple of cruises on P&O, one of us went out during our meal to book for the next night, until they asked us if we wanted the table for the rest of the cruise. When we left the dining room, there was always a queue.

We have cruised with 'Anytime dining' on Princess and whatever the equivalent is on Celebrity and had no problems whatsoever, so I can't work out why P&O can't do it better than they do.

We have booked a cruise on the Pacific Dawn. We have cruised many times with P&O, but our last cruise with them was in 2012. Since then we have cruised several times on Princess and once with Celebrity.

Is there anything we need to know that might have changed since 2012?

I sincerely hope the food service is better for you than it was for us on the Pacific Dawn going to NZ (Feb 2014). We'd enjoyed the food service so much on the now-retired Pacific Sun that this was a definite comedown. Perhaps it's been refurbished recently?

2012 P&O Northern Qld

2014 P&O New Zealand

2017 P&O South Pacific Islands

2018 Royal Carribean Around Australia

I sincerely hope the food service is better for you than it was for us on the Pacific Dawn going to NZ (Feb 2014). We'd enjoyed the food service so much on the now-retired Pacific Sun that this was a definite comedown. Perhaps it's been refurbished recently?

2012 P&O Northern Qld

2014 P&O New Zealand

2017 P&O South Pacific Islands

2018 Royal Carribean Around Australia

I understand that the Pac Dawn has been refurbished recently but that won't help with the food. I hope it is OK. :) Anyway, I am sure we won't starve and it is only a short cruise. :)

There will likely be a Bianco night and a Gatsby night, both are great fun. MDR is open for lunch on embarkation day (before 1.30pm generally).

I don't think I would bother with Gatsby, but Bianco could be OK. Do people go to dinner in costume or is it just for a party later?

Most appeared to be in costume and in the mood before they went to dinner. :)

Presumably 'Gatsby' refers to the Great Gatsby novel set in the 1920s. Correct? I presume with 'Bianco' people wear white. Do many wear a white shirt with black pants? Or do most dress totally in white?

I don't think I would bother with Gatsby, but Bianco could be OK. Do people go to dinner in costume or is it just for a party later?

Some people go to dinner dressed and then go the party, others do neither, some do one or the other. Most people do something even if it is just a white shirt. The parties are fun and the DJs and Band play music that will get your feet tapping.

Presumably 'Gatsby' refers to the Great Gatsby novel set in the 1920s. Correct? I presume with 'Bianco' people wear white. Do many wear a white shirt with black pants? Or do most dress totally in white?

I bought head bands with the feather on top ($2 from the reject shop) for all the girls (in our travel party to wear and they had black and white type outfits. I bought white suspenders ($3.50) for all the guys who wore black/dark shirts and most of us had jeans on.

For bianco we had white shirts and again most had on jeans.

I suppose you wear what you want, you do not have to dress up to party and it is really just about getting in the mood.

I bought head bands with the feather on top ($2 from the reject shop) for all the girls (in our travel party to wear and they had black and white type outfits. I bought white suspenders ($3.50) for all the guys who wore black/dark shirts and most of us had jeans on.

For bianco we had white shirts and again most had on jeans.

I suppose you wear what you want, you do not have to dress up to party and it is really just about getting in the mood.

Thanks. :)

• 3 weeks later...

We got off the Pacific Dawn on Saturday. It was the second cruise with P&O and will probably be the last. We were on the Aria last October and had the Premium drinks package, at that time it included Tea, Coffee, and Hot Chocolate... Excellent value I thought!

On this trip, it was going to be another $182 to upgrade to the All Inclusive package... Are they kidding me.. All I wanted was an occasional Hot chocolate at night before bed! The cost of the hot chocolate was $4.50 to purchase on its own, why not include it with the beverage package that went up to $12 for a cocktail!. Not happy at all.

We got off the Pacific Dawn on Saturday. It was the second cruise with P&O and will probably be the last. We were on the Aria last October and had the Premium drinks package, at that time it included Tea, Coffee, and Hot Chocolate... Excellent value I thought!

On this trip, it was going to be another $182 to upgrade to the All Inclusive package... Are they kidding me.. All I wanted was an occasional Hot chocolate at night before bed! The cost of the hot chocolate was $4.50 to purchase on its own, why not include it with the beverage package that went up to $12 for a cocktail!. Not happy at all.

I got off the Pacific Dawn on Saturday 27/5 - I was lucky enough to sail on 2 back to back cruises at a last minute price - handy as I was a Solo Cruiser.

I don't drink - just water with lemon for me so didn't even consider a drinks package.

I'm not too keen on P&O normally but the price & timing was very convenient so off I went!

This ship is newly refurbished & the public areas are very nicely finished.

Not a fan of the Pantry so tended to frequent the Main Dining Room for most meals which were adequate - hey I wasn't doing the shopping, preparation, cooking or cleaning up afterwards so had nothing to complain about!

The difference I noticed between my preferred Royal Caribbean & this cruiseline is that there is little to no interaction with the top crew members & passengers.

I have no idea who our Captain was for instance.

Having said that the Cruise Director with his outlandish suits each evening was outstanding! He was also a hoot at Trivia & I suspect most other organised activities!

What I found really outstanding was the Welcome Back goodies in my Cabin when I returned for the 2nd leg - Fruit Basket, canapes, Priority Tender ticket, plate of Petit-fours the next night - most appreciated - I will be keeping an eye out for future last minute prices!

Gae

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The drinks packages work for some but not for most, that is why they are a great money spinner for them.

I pay as I go when it comes to drinks on P&O due to (what I consider) the high cost of the packages. $4.50 for a hot chocolate is not a bad price but as you say, why isn't it in the package (like on some other lines).

I got off the Pacific Dawn on Saturday 27/5 - I was lucky enough to sail on 2 back to back cruises at a last minute price - handy as I was a Solo Cruiser.

I don't drink - just water with lemon for me so didn't even consider a drinks package.

I'm not too keen on P&O normally but the price & timing was very convenient so off I went!

This ship is newly refurbished & the public areas are very nicely finished.

Not a fan of the Pantry so tended to frequent the Main Dining Room for most meals which were adequate - hey I wasn't doing the shopping, preparation, cooking or cleaning up afterwards so had nothing to complain about!

The difference I noticed between my preferred Royal Caribbean & this cruiseline is that there is little to no interaction with the top crew members & passengers.

Having said that the Cruise Director with his outlandish suits each evening was outstanding! He was also a hoot at Trivia & I suspect most other organised activities!

What I found really outstanding was the Welcome Back goodies in my Cabin when I returned for the 2nd leg - Fruit Basket, canapes, Priority Tender ticket, plate of Petit-fours the next night - most appreciated - I will be keeping an eye out for future last minute prices!

Gae

Glad you had a great time Gae.

This depends on the crew , last cruise we were lucky enough to be included in the meet the Captain and Officers drinks and canapes event, the Officers were snobs I had no time for them, but the Captain his name was Othello Ghoshroy he was the nicest bloke and was a surprise how friendly he was, we are sitting at a table with two other Ladies and this Officer came over to our table and started chatting with us, he had no name badge on, and his shoulder badges meant nothing to us, so we were all chatting away in a friendly manner to this fellow, but we still did not know who he was, until one of the Ladies at the table asked him "What do you do on the ship ? " and his reply was "Oh I'm the Captain" , which was very funny,

This depends on the crew , last cruise we were lucky enough to be included in the meet the Captain and Officers drinks and canapes event, the Officers were snobs I had no time for them, but the Captain his name was Othello Ghoshroy he was the nicest bloke and was a surprise how friendly he was, we are sitting at a table with two other Ladies and this Officer came over to our table and started chatting with us, he had no name badge on, and his shoulder badges meant nothing to us, so we were all chatting away in a friendly manner to this fellow, but we still did not know who he was, until one of the Ladies at the table asked him "What do you do on the ship ? " and his reply was "Oh I'm the Captain" , which was very funny,

Nice to hear he had a good sense of humour! [emoji4]

Gaechann you scored well getting Willie. He was the CD on our 2nd cruise and we are up to over 20 now and never had a CD who comes anywhere near Willie Lee.

We were on a south pacific cruise which included Anzac Day. As you know he is a real clown but on Anzac Day he was totally transformed. He presided over the dawn service and a later service in the theatre. Excellent all round.

I just wish there was a way of finding out what ship he is on and when. He seems to be on Pacific Dawn a lot but he also has time off and my luck would have me sailing when he's back in the UK holidaying.