Colonnade Seatinng

bspill

We don't pay the price of a "luxury cruise" to eat cafeteria style. We always head for the main dining room. We regularly meet people on luxury cruise ships who have never even thought of trying the MDR for breakfast and lunch. Amazing!!!

We are not fans of the vast and rather impersonal MDR (even for dinner) and would far rather eat outside at the Colonnade or Patio Grill - although we have yet to take a cold weather Seabourn cruise. It's fun to take a look at the beautiful displays and see what is available. Vive la difference anyway - it makes for more room in all three venues!

We are not fans of the vast and rather impersonal MDR (even for dinner) and would far rather eat outside at the Colonnade or Patio Grill - although we have yet to take a cold weather Seabourn cruise. It's fun to take a look at the beautiful displays and see what is available. Vive la difference anyway - it makes for more room in all three venues!

I agree, it is great that Seabourn offers choice in dining (most of the time!). I also love to eat outside, particularly on warm weather cruises. Although on our Seabourn Antarctica cruise, we also ate out on the back deck of the Colonnade as well as the Patio Grill on a few occasions! I must say the copious supply of rugs and heaters did make it more pleasant. Drinking a cocktail, and eating succulent prawns while the snow fell around us, was quite surreal!

Cataloger54,

Isn't that why God invented room service?

The room service menu is very basic and limited and uninteresting for lunch. At lunch if I go to the Colonnade, I can see what is offered and pick what I want. Even if the understaffed staff at peak time had time to go to the Colonnade and load a plate for me for delivery, I would not know what to tell someone to bring me from there to my room, or how much of each, without first checking it out in person.

Of course, ideally, on a luxury cruise, on a nice day, I would sit outside, as others also enjoy, with good table service, and good food ( like I had on my first SB cruise on the Odyssey September 2015) and without having to jocky for position or worry about bugging others. But the thread is about Colonnade seating issues and problems that can occur, so I commented on possible, though not ideal or elegant, solutions when in a pinch.

I am aware of God's granting of room service menu dining alternatives 24/7, with the expected half hour or so wait. We certainly have used room service, e.g., for breakfast when we have early morning excursions and will not see food for several hours,

and can designate the time in advance.

It is good that we all enjoy different things. I wouldn't dream of sitting in the restaurant during the day when I can sit outside and enjoy warm sea breezes and beautiful views. I suppose that comes from living in wet, windy but wonderful Wales :D

We enjoy all Seabourn has to offer in each dining venue inside and out. As small Cruise ships go Seabourn offers a delicious variety and quality of produce each day. An atmosphere that is relaxed especially in the Colonade. Our favourite thing is to share a table with fellow travellers of the world. A request to clear a table is usually done before I can chose my breakfast or lunch.

MDR equally atmospheric in a more formal way much enjoyed also.

Edited by koalapanda

And a sincere bravo to all of you who love the cafeteria. We use it when in a hurry. But we are thrilled to have you there so we can enjoy the quite and comfort of the main dining room at breakfast and lunch.

A cafeteria? That's the last word I would use for the very pleasant, friendly ambience of the Colonnade!

And a sincere bravo to all of you who love the cafeteria. We use it when in a hurry. But we are thrilled to have you there so we can enjoy the quite and comfort of the main dining room at breakfast and lunch.

Now you've made me curious - I will be trying it out to see what I have been missing!

The choice seems to depend on your personality and what you need and enjoy most. Although we are not madly gregarious, we find the atmosphere in the MDR, particularly at breakfast, a bit like being in an old-fashioned hotel with few guests - almost funereal.

We have nearly always been lucky in finding adequate space in the Colonnade - OK sometimes the tables need clearing, but to us not a big problem. I like to choose my own fruits etc. at breakfast, which you cannot do in the MDR, whereas in the Colonnade you can have everything served to you, or choose some of your food yourself. Nothing beats like being in the outdoor area - hardly every completely full - on a lovely day, preferably with views of an attractive port. Perhaps we appreciate this more coming from a rather cool and damp country!

We are lucky to have the choice, and it all pales into insignificance today after the happening in Manchester last night. Makes me realise that most of the subjects discussed here are very first world, and we are all fortunate to be alive and well and well off enough to enjoy the joys of cruising.

Cafeteria? In my world, and I admit it's limited, a buffet restaurant offers you your own table and the opportunity to select your entree's from those on display either free standing (desserts, salads, rolls) or hot entree's behind a spit guard. A cafeteria exposes you to the challenges freely described in this thread: the obligation to share a table, when busy an over-taxed wait staff that can't keep up thus uncleared tables and iffy wine and beverage service, the opportunity of eating too much (and oh am I susceptible in this department), and a sense of chaos overall. The label you use is immaterial. It's the reality that counts. But don't get me wrong, I LOVE it that so many folks love to eat at Colonnade, La Veranda, or whatever you want to label it. And in other contexts, I enjoy eating in buffet restaurants both inexpensive or, say, the Sunday brunch at The Breakers in Palm Beach.

Thanks "lincslady" your post reiterates our sentiments.

A true appreciation for our being so blessed to be able to enjoy cruising. The Manchester bombing affect us all who live freely in this wide world. Life is a precious thing. The small things that are NQR are but fleeting and improve our tolerance and patience.

Aboard the Sojourn, we have two individuals who wait in the morning for the Colonnade to open and immediately save their favorite table. They then proceed to Seabuurn Square for a half hour or 45 minutes leaving that table unavailable for others until they return for breakfast. Maybe if that practice was discouraged, it would be easier to find seating without having to "hunt around".

Aboard the Sojourn, we have two individuals who wait in the morning for the Colonnade to open and immediately save their favorite table. They then proceed to Seabuurn Square for a half hour or 45 minutes leaving that table unavailable for others until they return for breakfast. Maybe if that practice was discouraged, it would be easier to find seating without having to "hunt around".

Have you spoken to any staff about this unacceptable behaviour

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Aboard the Sojourn, we have two individuals who wait in the morning for the Colonnade to open and immediately save their favorite table. They then proceed to Seabuurn Square for a half hour or 45 minutes leaving that table unavailable for others until they return for breakfas

Maybe if that practice was discouraged, it would be easier to find seating without having to "hunt around".

What rude and selfish behaviour! I would probably wait 10 minutes or so - but then would have no hesitation in sitting myself down! I know that Seabourn staff are reluctant to upset 'guests' but would certainly take it up with the Hotel Director. I'm curious - what on earth are they doing in Seabourn Square if it is time for breakfast?

Why would you do that? Why would you even think of doing that? What extraordinary behaviour.

I know this language is not politically incorrect, but this behaviour is selfish and without regard for other guests and staff. Besides, if it is for the coffee the staff are happy to bring you an espresso to your table.

Tolerating this behaviour is not right either.

My husband and I often go to the Square for a pre breakfast coffee before heading to the Colonnade. But I can't imagine pulling the old beach lounger stunt and marking our table there first.

But speaking of behavior in the Colonnade (which, to reassure those who have not yet cruised Seabourn, bears very little resemblance to a "cafeteria") on our Antarctica cruise where it was indeed busy every morning there was an old lady who every morning sat down at a table for six by herself. Whenever someone asked if they could join her she always said she was waiting for her family. During the entire 24 day cruise we never saw anyone else at the table with her. Don't know if it was wishful thinking on her part or what but I actually found it rather sad.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is not something to complain about. It is easily dealt with. If a saw a table saved for more than ten minutes with no one using it I'd simply remove the articles used for saving, hand them to the nearest server and sit myself down.