How to dress for Alaskan cruise in June

centraltexcruiser

Hello,

My family and I are taking the Alaska Hubbard Glacier Northbound RC cruise in June and I still am not sure what to bring. Rain coat? How thick? Rain boots? Sweats? I did some research on average temperature there in June, but still confused on what type of clothing to bring. Any tips?

Thanks!! [emoji305][emoji926]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Be ready to dress in layers. It can be quite warm if the sun if out in full force and cold if there is a strong wind or rain. You don't need a full monsoon raincoat a light one will do the job just fine if you have other layers underneath. I've never been a fan of cotton as once it gets wet it takes for ever to dry.

Hello,

My family and I are taking the Alaska Hubbard Glacier Northbound RC cruise in June and I still am not sure what to bring. Rain coat? How thick? Rain boots? Sweats? I did some research on average temperature there in June, but still confused on what type of clothing to bring. Any tips?

Bring layers. Light weight layers. Bring a raincoat, light weight. Weather can be sunny and warm or cold and rainy. It will vary day to day.

I agree: layers, layers, layers. I'm from a place where we don't own raincoats...or umbrellas...and forget between rainstorms how to work the windshield wipers in our cars...so I don't really have much rain gear. When I go to Alaska I take an (extremely tacky but effective) good quality emergency poncho and about three other layers, plus knit hat and gloves for glacier days and an extra pair of shoes for hiking (because they're likely to get wet).

As others have said layers are key because weather is not predictable.

Could be rainy, sunny, windy, partly cloudy or a combination on the same day.

We prefer a waterproof jacket with a hood, fleece or sweater and long and short sleeve shirts.

Waterproof pants, long pants and shorts (you don't know what the weather will be like).

Sun Glasses and a Hat.

Two pairs of shoes such as sports shoes and even low cut hiking shoes which work good in all sorts of weather.

Keith

Hello,

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Check the Roll Call board to find other members who are on your cruise. If you are on the June 2nd Radiance of the Seas sailing, maybe I will see you on board.

Bring layers. Light weight layers. Bring a raincoat, light weight. Weather can be sunny and warm or cold and rainy. It will vary day to day.

The "lightweight" could be the most useful advice I've read. I keep seeing layers, but with no qualifying information. There is a big difference between a long sleeve shirt and a puffer jacket.

Use SEARCH THIS FORUM with the words 'pack' or 'packing' and you will find many past answers to this question.

And look closely at the photos in past trip reports. In the background you'll see people standing around in jeans and sweatshirts, jackets, with a small backpack.

What to pack is pretty much the same throughout the Alaska cruise season. The key is LAYERS.

The layer next to your skin is changed daily so I pack several short/long sleeve Tshirts/tops. I wear cotton because it's comfortable. I wear cotton at home in Seattle and it works for me in Alaska.

The next layer is for warmth and can be re-worn a few times so 3 hoodys or fleece pullovers.

The outer layer should be a waterproof jacket, preferably hooded.

For pants a couple of prs of jeans and khakis. Add a pr of shorts in case it gets warm enough, and a bathing suit if you think you might swim.

Shoes are a pr of sneakers and a pr of walking shoes. Several pr of smart wool socks because I don't want to be bothered doing little bits of wash every night.

And a daypack so you have somewhere to store your layers; if the day warms up you have a place to store your jacket , or the day turns sour you can pull a hoody out of your daypack. The pack is also a great place to store your wallet, camera, sunglasses, binoculars, gloves, hat, snacks, etc. (Don't bring an umbrella - they're dangerous on crowded sidewalks and block people's views.)

Hope this helps.

Use SEARCH THIS FORUM with the words 'pack' or 'packing' and you will find many past answers to this question.

And look closely at the photos in past trip reports. In the background you'll see people standing around in jeans and sweatshirts, jackets, with a small backpack.

What to pack is pretty much the same throughout the Alaska cruise season. The key is LAYERS.

The layer next to your skin is changed daily so I pack several short/long sleeve Tshirts/tops. I wear cotton because it's comfortable. I wear cotton at home in Seattle and it works for me in Alaska.

The next layer is for warmth and can be re-worn a few times so 3 hoodys or fleece pullovers.

The outer layer should be a waterproof jacket, preferably hooded.

For pants a couple of prs of jeans and khakis. Add a pr of shorts in case it gets warm enough, and a bathing suit if you think you might swim.

Shoes are a pr of sneakers and a pr of walking shoes. Several pr of smart wool socks because I don't want to be bothered doing little bits of wash every night.

And a daypack so you have somewhere to store your layers; if the day warms up you have a place to store your jacket , or the day turns sour you can pull a hoody out of your daypack. The pack is also a great place to store your wallet, camera, sunglasses, binoculars, gloves, hat, snacks, etc. (Don't bring an umbrella - they're dangerous on crowded sidewalks and block people's views.)

Hope this helps.

How often is it warm enough to swim in June?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agreed that all our comments about layers should be qualified with "lightweight." Lightweight layers you can mix and match and pull off when you get hot. If you take a parka you'll be sorry..

Mostly don't stress about taking the perfect high-tech stuff if you don't already have it . You'll survive as long as you have several light layers and SOMETHING waterproof or highly water resistant--and two pairs of walking shoes (or one pair of quick-drying hiking sandals) if you intend on doing much outside.

I guess I should say that you'll probably survive. Alaska's a wild place. ;)

Edited by Melinda Brasher
writing error

• 4 weeks later...
How could does it get on glacier excursions. We're Floridian and don't really own scarves. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it for us to buy some.

I find a good scarf adds significant warmth by keeping my neck warm and blocking drafts coming in around the collar of a jacket. It doesn't have to cost a lot and doesn't take much space in luggage and daypack. I live in California and don't ever recall using one at home but it is part of my standard packing if traveling anywhere cool to cold. You don't need a bunch. One that goes with your outer layer will do. A wool hat and knit gloves are the other two things I take along to increase comfort in the cold without needing much space.

would it be unusual for me to just wear my clothes from the day (jeans) to dinner?
This is Alaska you're talking about. Capital of casual. Unless it is a formal or Gala night nothing wrong with jeans and a nice shirt especially on busy port days that leave just before dinner time (or after). Most mainstream lines have gone to much more casual "suggestions" for attire in general and, in the case of HAL, have pointed out the casualness in their "what to bring for Alaska" brochure where it says....

Alaska is a pretty casual place, so our “dress code” is not about fashion so much as being comfortable, so that you can enjoy each day to the fullest, no matter the weather.
Most lines would follow this sort of advice.

How could does it get on glacier excursions. We're Floridian and don't really own scarves. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it for us to buy some.

Did one yesterday onto a glacier in Denali. It was 81 when we took off but only 40 about 6000 feet up. Lightweight jackets were all anyone had. It was great.

Here is a link to my packing list....its been developed over many years of Alaska cruising! https://zest4travel.wordpress.com/2017/02/20/what-do-i-pack-for-alaska/

Thank you so much for your list. I found it very useful but can you tell me how long you were in Alaska for? I will be there for 5 day land and then week cruise. I would think I may need more?

Thanks! :)

Just a quick update on what is needed for a glacier cruise. Yesterday we did the Prince William Sound cruise out of Whittier and it was warm and sunny. My husband wore shorts (!) and I didn't even pull out my gloves.

Bottom line: be prepared for anything

As far as how much you need: we are a family of four (kids are 12 and 15) and each had a wheeled carryon for the one week land portion. We rented a car a stayed at Girdwood, Homer, Seward and now Whittier. This was mostly quick dry, active clothing with some jeans and tops thrown in for dinner, etc. We have one checked bag for the 4 of us with our cruise clothes that never came out of the trunk.

Getting on the ship today!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk