LIVE BLOG WITH PICS: Freedom OTS - Western Med - 21 May 2017

I am just off the May 14 sailing too and loved every minute. I will definitely do a detailed review but might take me a week or so. I have kept all the compasses to photograph for this review and to answer any questions with. We also had an interior cabin but on deck nine so think it was a bit bigger than yours. We were very pleasantly surprised by it and had expected smaller. Might be hard to tell looking at your double bed. Two singles in ours and definitely looked more spacious.

Have a fantastic cruise. Hope weather stays good. We had great weather. Will get going on review very soon. Sitting at my pc now and still feeling motion of the ship, even though it was only rocking on the final day.

So we're just back onboard from a good few hours in Marseille!

We hadn't really planned anything for this stop other than getting off the ship, going into the old port town and mooching about. So that's what we did.

When we got off Freedom, via the Deck 1 gangway, we were met by RCCL photographers and ground staff trying to sell us a €23 round trip into Marseille on a coach.

We however knew there was a free shuttle bus into Marseille. It's a 5 minute walk from the terminal up the pier road - and easy to spot with the pop up banners.

It was a 20 minute wait, and we were crammed on like sardines, but hey it was free. The journey took about 10 minutes and drops you off on the seafront in the city centre. It picks you up again from the same spot.

We walked around the city centre, taking photos of the buildings and scenery. The old port harbour is amazing. So many ships!!

12d6de7ae472d47b2c4b9223e0699da4.jpg

From there we walked up to the shopping street, Rue Saint-Ferréol, to pick up some new shirts for formal night, and to send a postcard.

We took a few scenic detours down towards the port again.

3253c2264d9aeefd108916a136b9632a.jpg

Walked back along the front to the bus stop, caught the free bus back to the ship and are now in the windjammer having lunch.

Apparently on Freedom it's Taco Monday! Nom!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Busy day in port today, which might explain why the shuttle buses were so rammed.

Currently docked in Marseille:

- Freedom of the seas

- Crown Princess

- Costa Magica

- Costa Pacifica

- Seabourn Encore

30e8baada0eac9c0fdaf43dde1826504.jpg

04212631c304dab1e30d9eb7ca5fc839.jpg

Also in Marseille, not visiting but in dock, is Celebrity Constellation. Having her "bold refit".

d7b43f2d60f349a7f468f61fb1a3a138.jpg

Have also noticed that Freedom is missing her Starboard Crown & Anchor. Wonder if she's having the lighting fixed?

5bb8cc1d88ec5f8e522a956c95721570.jpg

Nice photos. Hope it stayed dry for you. Looks a bit dull. It was in high 30s there last Monday. Was my least favourite port but expected that. Old port is charming however. I just walked about there and took the little train to Notre Dame de la garde.

Love your review! We've sailed Freedom years ago. Have they put any water slides on the pool deck?

No slides. But wouldn't be surprised to see them added soon. She's due for an update in the next year or two.

Nice photos. Hope it stayed dry for you. Looks a bit dull. It was in high 30s there last Monday. Was my least favourite port but expected that. Old port is charming however. I just walked about there and took the little train to Notre Dame de la garde.

It was dull in the morning, but has really brightened up in the afternoon. Currently 25c and glorious sunshine on the pool deck.

This afternoon had been ALL ABOUT the cocktails and the solarium.

It's currently 17:30 and it's still super sunny 25c (77f) and clear skies.

We've spent the afternoon in the solarium sunning ourselves and working though the cocktail list.

Apologies to my American friends for any unintended Speedo shots, we're European - it's how we roll.

5e67210e1c121a1a18667ae1f7df88ed.jpg

4625347c9d44b94b2456f7733042b502.jpg

The solarium has been quiet, peaceful and not over crowded. I mean you can even see from my pics that we have FRONT ROW POOL-SIDE LOUNGERS - how often does that happen?

My ONLY issue with the solarium on Freedom is that the staff don't seem to police the over-16 policy. We had to put up with noisy kids in the hot tub. Thankfully they didn't stay long.

Now if you'll excuse me there's a G&T floating in the pool with my name on it...

94d9522a7c3b883c7be0a8f41fa75a46.jpg

We've just got to Barcelona El Prat Airport.

We picked up our luggage after a fairly long wait at the baggage carousel. Customs and passport control were a breeze with out e-passports.

As soon as we headed out of the baggage reclaim hall it was easy to spot the Royal Caribbean hosts on the left, near Cafe Jamaica.

We've had our luggage taken off us, and been assigned to the 'purple group' with stickers and shortly we'll be boarding a coach to the cruise terminal/pier.

Did you book your flight through Royal? Is that how you were met before and after flight by Royal Host???

Hi, looking forward to hearing about your adventures. We are a family of 6 on the same cruise (first time cruisers) in July. I saw a copy of the compass and saw there were two formal nights, one being tonight .. do you mind letting me know how dressy everyone is. I was just going to have my sons wear shirt and tie without a sports coat.. But, if anyone is really dressed... we need a sports coat I will go buy them one..rather not get them a suit.

Hi, looking forward to hearing about your adventures. We are a family of 6 on the same cruise (first time cruisers) in July. I saw a copy of the compass and saw there were two formal nights, one being tonight .. do you mind letting me know how dressy everyone is. I was just going to have my sons wear shirt and tie without a sports coat.. But, if anyone is really dressed... we need a sports coat I will go buy them one..rather not get them a suit.

Shirts and ties are fine for your boys for formal nights.

KDNURS,

We got our flights bundled as part of a promotion thought Royal Caribbean.

There was a host waiting before the BA check-in desk, and at the arrivals hall where we landed.

That sounds awesome..I will have to watch for this bundle promotion in the US if they offer it. I have booked this itinerary for June 2018 on Symphony of the Seas. I am following your cruise to get ideas because I have never sailed outside the US and I am kinda lost. So far I have learned a few things from you and will continue to follow with note pad in hand...THANKS!!! :D

Tonight is formal night and we have 19:45 reservations on the deck 5 dining room. Mostly because we LOVE Nadia the waitress.

Hope I'll do for formal night. Everyone is looking SUPER FABULOUS tonight. Sparkly dresses, tuxedos and cocktails!

They definitely dress up more on European cruises than Caribbean ones.

4a6e84b86784d0fce235cfe889bcbc7d.jpg

dddcba2a5f2381035a5408ed872ba2c8.jpg

Also, sunset is at 21:00 so we've not seen it yet but the wake is pretty amazing.

e91b8e034ee003397fcd37ca95f61bd4.jpg

Tonight was our first formal night. Nights 2 & 5 of this cruise are formal.

I went into Marseille to buy a white shirt from Zara as the one I brought was creased as f***.

We dressed up and headed out for a cocktail. Everyone on the ship looked amazing! Tuxedos, cocktail dresses and diamonds galore! I felt underdressed in my suit! So glam!

717535dff1e6bdb42265c3577bf8f6d6.jpg

But then we went up to Olive or Twist, and had a gin martini and then suddenly I felt fine!

8c5bc6310ca23ed8752b2a167c413061.jpg

We popped down to Deck 4 to see some last minute sun and watch the wake before dinner...

a52a3612f332a7a1ffa217ca5fe8eeb4.jpg

Then for dinner I had...

To start: Royal Shrimp Salad & Escargot (forgot to take pics; but you know what they look like)

For mains: Lobster (from the specials upcharge menu)

b5c9aae06a4d4ec26c3603486bad82f4.jpg

And for dessert: Lemon meringue pie

6be945a5f9c6156e682a54a40799de62.jpg

Now we're back in R-Bar for the LGBT drinks!