LIVE BLOG WITH PICS: Freedom OTS - Western Med - 21 May 2017

Yesterday was NAPLES... (except it wasn't)

I've been to Naples before, on previous cruises.

The port town itself is filled with pickpockets, graffiti and trash. A real shame, as it has some impressive history and points of interest.

If you're going to use Naples to go to Pompeii that's fine, the coaches will take you straight there I'm sure.

So we spent the day on the ship. It was blissfully quiet. Again most of my time was enjoying peace and quiet in the adults only solarium, being visited by the magical drinks genies.

c81cfba25da2b46c7c69febce1135abb.jpg

I grabbed a quick lunch in windjammer where they had a make your own kummelweck (?) sandwich station. The beef was just as good as everyone said.

Then back to the solarium for more sun, swimming and cocktails. At 18:00 I hit the sauna and steam room to sweat the suntan lotion out of my pores, before getting ready for the second formal night.

Managed to catch a quick sunset on the helipad...

aa005e11a0e7d17f53f1bcfc4b2819f9.jpg

Before dinner in Giovanni's with the group of LGBT people we met at the informal get together each night. We ate SO MUCH FOOD. I had scallops to start, and a fillet steak for mains. Both were plentiful and perfectly cooked.

569b44aadb54b3df11bbd4f3303c55cd.jpg

98893a09714f8e3a88832b14c3560c1d.jpg

After that I was so full and tired from a day in the sun I grabbed a cocktail walked slowly back to the cabin via the outside promenade deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Being from the UK, do you prefer primarily-American cruise lines or does it not realy matter? Have you ever tried P&O, Fred Olsen, Saga, Thomson, etc?

Hey there!

So I've mostly sailed Royal Caribbean. I've done one cruise with Princess and am doing an NCL cruise next week.

I haven't done P&O, Fred Olsen or Saga as they're aimed at a much older demographic than myself, being as I am 31.

I like my cruises energetic, fun, on big new ships. Something I don't think you'd get on those lines.

I am enjoying your review of your trip. Just a quick personal preference question: being from the UK, do you prefer primarily-American cruise lines or does it not realy matter? Have you ever tried P&O, Fred Olsen, Saga, Thomson, etc? I have just always wondered if there is any real advantage or disadvantage to some of the package deals that Thomson has, or if P&O is liked by many Brits. Can't wait to read the rest of your review :)

I have cruised a few times now with thomsons and love them. Mostly all British onboard and they are modernising their fleet. They are also now part owned by RC.

I have cruised a few times now with thomsons and love them. Mostly all British onboard and they are modernising their fleet. They are also now part owned by RC.

Thank you for the information! I have wanted to cruise from Thomson for a while now, I like some of the itineraries that they offer from La Romana, Majorca, and Gran Canaria. It is harder for an American like myself to get onboard, because you have you book flights with the cruise, but I've heard of Americans that get themselves on Thomson ships by just calling Thomson. If I find a good enough deal and itinerary, I plan on doing it! I have come to love the Thomson fleet. However, it has also been in talks for a few years now about moving to England, so if that happens, all of my issues will be resolved :)

Hey there!

So I've mostly sailed Royal Caribbean. I've done one cruise with Princess and am doing an NCL cruise next week.

I haven't done P&O, Fred Olsen or Saga as they're aimed at a much older demographic than myself, being as I am 31.

I like my cruises energetic, fun, on big new ships. Something I don't think you'd get on those lines.

OP, I understand what you mean about wanting a more upbeat-style cruise. Different strokes for different folks! I am really enjoying your writing style, thank you for writing this review! Is there a way I can access your previous reviews?

Enjoy the rest of your Freedom cruise, and your Jade cruise as well!

A young fella like you should be able to walk from the Vatican!

I wish do there was a convenient metro stop for it though

I have a tip for people doing their own version of Rome in a day. Get off the train at St. Peter's And then start your homeward journey from termini. This is the best way to make sure you get a seat on that train back. Some people start at termini at work their way back but I do like a nice sit down

Agree about Naples! Didn't they used to say See Naples and die?

Thank you so much. By Day 4 we should have adjusted to the European times, and ready to start drinking. :)

Hey DawnGecko! [emoji112]

So yesterday was Day 4 of our cruise, La Spezia for Florence/Pisa. They started promoting 10 drinks for $75 plus tax in the bars last night, and via the cruise compass and over the PA system today - Day 5.

2fdb106804946b4f3e2d9c0d9263769c.jpg

Absolutely loving your review and writing style. We also love Freedom and hope when we are able to do the Med cruise, she's one of the ships we can choose. My boys love her, and are big flowrider fans, so that's why we've sailed her so often. And to be able to combine touring the Med with flowriding, it's a win-win.

I'm planning for 2020, after my oldest graduates from college and my younger one graduates from HS. It will be a big grad present for both. Saving up mileage to cover air as much as possible.

So many great tips on touring on your own. Did a cost conversion for your lunch in Rome and right now, it's only about $28.10 USD so not a bad lunch for 2.

Looking forward to more.

Thanks.

Yesterday was NAPLES... (except it wasn't)

I've been to Naples before, on previous cruises.

The port town itself is filled with pickpockets, graffiti and trash. A real shame, as it has some impressive history and points of interest.

If you're going to use Naples to go to Pompeii that's fine, the coaches will take you straight there I'm sure.

First, I'm loving your review! We are on the Freedom for a 21nt B2B in October, which will combine your itinerary with the TA.

Second, I couldn't agree more about Naples. We will be visiting Pompeii (my DH hasn't yet seen it, and everyone should, because it is amazing)... and then returning to the ship. I have no desire to ever visit Naples again after having seen it once. I love Italy, but Naples was everything you described it as! I usually describe it as "The armpit of Italy". Lol

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using Forums App

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I was wondering the same , waiting patiently on the end[emoji41][emoji41]

He flew home on the 28th, and is still alive and kicking, for those concerned!

Hello all!

Sorry for the radio silence! The end of my Freedom trip didn't go as planned sadly, so live blogging kind of went out the window.

My travelling companion, Alan, came down with a case of suspected gastro / food poisoning from something he'd eaten in Rome.

Doctors confirmed it wasn't Noro as we'd been sharing the same cabin/bathroom etc for days and I was absolutely a'OK. But he got admitted to the ship's hospital and kept there for a day whilst they gave him medication and IV fluids, and then put in cabin isolation for our last sea day. Poor thing.

The ships doctors and nurses couldn't have been nicer however, really professional and a great hospital facility they've got onboard. Really reassuring.

Like most of the sea days before it I spent the day in the Solarium - sunning myself and drinking many cocktails, between trips down to the hospital on Deck 1 to see Alan.

I had a Pasta Masterclass in Giovanni's Table at 11:30 which I popped along to. It was good fun. First we were greeted with champagne, we watched two of our group make four types of pasta (lasagne, spaghetti, linguini and ravioli), and then we had a four course lunch with wine. Not bad for $26 really!

Then back to the solarium for more sunning.

In the evening it was clear Alan wouldn't be joining me for dinner, so I joined a gay couple we'd met at the LGBT Meet Up for dinner in Chops Grille.

I started with French Onion Soup (amazing), the Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail (a little underwhelming), and then I had the 20oz Porterhouse T-Bone for an upcharge - it was AMAZING. Tell you what though, I felt it for the next 12 hours. Fatty McFat.

I wombled my way back to our cabin, and got stuff packed for the next day (we were wheeling off ourselves so no need to put out night before).

Disembarkment the next day could best be described as "organised chaos". We walked off at 08:30, and the terminal building was gridlock.

Remember that Thai group I talked about earlier in the blog? Well they decided to use the baggage reclaim area as their meeting point, they accounted for nearly 50% of the 3200 passengers. That's 1600 people just stood by baggage reclaim, not leaving, not moving, not being helpful. It was so frustrating. It took us a good 10/15 mins to fight through the stationery mass of people, before heading to a coach.

Once we were on the coach we had to wait 20 mins or so for a driver to turn up, all the meanwhile the InterCruise reps looked a little lost and confused. We just sat tight with our bags. Eventually we got the the airport and checked in for our flight at a little check in area specifically for cruise passengers.

That was five days ago. Thankfully Alan is MUCH better now, almost back to normal - and I'm currently running around packing bags for my next cruise which departs in 10 hours. :)

I'm so sorry to hear that Alan fell ill during your cruise, but thankful that he's feeling better and you didn't catch anything.

Looking forward to your next report, and reading the end of this one. Have a safe journey!