Power strips on breakaway

Surge protected devices are prohibited. Simple, inexpensive power strips are fine. Surge protectors are hazardous when used in shipboard wiring systems, and in fact are not needed to protect electronics.

There has been a big discussion on this site quite recently covering this so a search should help.

In the meantime the answer is:

Power strip - yes as long as it has NOT got surge protectors - they are a major fire risk to users and others on the ship and will probably be confiscated on sight. Nothing allowed to be plugged in unless you are in the cabin at the time. Staff will remove any chargers if plugged in if the cabin is unoccupied at the time, including any devices plugged into the new USB sockets in re-furbished ships.

Standalone Surge Protectors - No - same reason.

Any type of power strip, with or without surge has a higher risk of malfunction than a normal extension cord. There is a bunch of wiring inside that strip that could short out, etc.

Some of the ships now have USB plugs below the bedside lights. Apparently it is policy that you can NOT leave items plugged in when you are not in the room. Staff has been instructed to unplug them. Not talking extension - just a simple USB like your phone.

Please be aware -royal caribbean has implemented new changes -my power strip(non-surged) & extension cord were confiscated at security screening. My carryon bag went through the screening machine & was pulled off by an officer who requested that I open the bag & inquired did I have any electrical cords -they proceeded to do a through search of my bag -the officer was displacing items -in his search for this "contraband " -that I attempted to assist him & said no I believe the item is over on this side -at this point he stated for me to remove my hands from the bag that I was not allowed to touch the bag during the search --so I stood by quite annoyed I may add -as I observed him completely undoing my hard work of arranging everything in the bag the night before. Upon finding the bag that contained the items he examined them and informed him that in fact the power strip was a non-surged item -he informed me neither the strip or extension cord was allowed my set & sail pass was examined & I was given an receipt for confiscated items & informed I could pick them up when I returned at customs. Mind you I had the same items when i traveled in July last year -no problems!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A few years ago, Carnival did a clamp down on extension cords. Within a short period of time if my foggy memory serves me right, they reversed that decision.

I wonder if that "rent a cop" in the above example was overly aggressive. Those extension cords would probably get through checked bags just fine.

I always carry an extension cord with my CPAP. Never had a problem myself. Good news is that the cord on the CPAP itself is close to 10ft long.

The short, white power tap or outlet is what we cruised with, along with multi-port charging adapter - no issues and no surge protection.

I leave the Belkin power tap at home for other modes of vacations & travel needs.c1dfb118e18310ff1fb3089918b84c7b.jpg

via Nexus 5X on Nougat 7.1.2 using Tapatalk, VPN secured.

I got a cheap plastic power strip at Walmart, a few years ago. No surge suppression. It weighs almost nothing and is ideal for cruising. Never had anyone say anything about it, though now NCL is asking people to unplug everything when not in your cabin.