Anyone ever used Marriage license+ID?

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone has ever used their marriage license+ID instead of passport? ---Just married so my wife's passport is "out of date". Just wondering how smooth this will be as I'm hoping for no issues. On their website it says if there was a name change recently just bring the marriage license and your ID. So hopefully it will be easy p-z

If your wife's name on the cruise booking is her married name, and her passport is still valid and in her maiden name, then the marriage certificate is a valid document to act as a bridge between the two different names.

My understanding was that an expired passport works the same as a certified birth certificate in proving citizenship on a closed end cruise. A valid govenment issed ID would be required if the passport is expired.

Your other consideration is name on reservation. They have to match or you need a "bridging" document that shows the connection, which would be the marriage certificate (certified probably best).

We ran into this a few years ago with new DIL. Valid passport in old name, reservation in married name; with the marriage certificate all was good.

Now, if the passport is expired that might be an issue if you are using it for ID. I have heard TSA will not take an expired DL because it's no longer a "valid" ID. Since I am not driving the plane I don't see an issue, but apparently they do.

If it were me I would have a certified copy of my birth certificate just in case they won't take the passport.

Crap, sorry all. Yeah we are bringing ID+Passport+Original Marriage License. Not birth Certificate. --Passport is still good for her, for around 6 more years.

Cruise Documents

s.gif

s.gif

Q: Does the name on my reservation need to match the name on my passport?s.gifA: Yes. It is important that the name on your reservation be exactly as it is stated on your passport or other official proof of nationality. If your name has changed since your document was issued (e.g., marriage or divorce), it is required that you update the document with the new name or provide an official supporting document (e.g., a state, county or province issued marriage license, divorce decree or legal name change document) of the name change. All documents must be the original or a notarized copy. Additionally, if you are using an identification (e.g., driver's license) and a citizenship document ( e.g., birth certificate), then BOTH documents must match the name on your reservation. Otherwise, it may result in delay or possible denial of boarding.

Crap, sorry all. Yeah we are bringing ID+Passport+Original Marriage License. Not birth Certificate. --Passport is still good for her, for around 6 more years.

Cruise Documents

s.gif

s.gif

Q: Does the name on my reservation need to match the name on my passport?s.gifA: Yes. It is important that the name on your reservation be exactly as it is stated on your passport or other official proof of nationality. If your name has changed since your document was issued (e.g., marriage or divorce), it is required that you update the document with the new name or provide an official supporting document (e.g., a state, county or province issued marriage license, divorce decree or legal name change document) of the name change. All documents must be the original or a notarized copy. Additionally, if you are using an identification (e.g., driver's license) and a citizenship document ( e.g., birth certificate), then BOTH documents must match the name on your reservation. Otherwise, it may result in delay or possible denial of boarding.

When you get back from the cruise have your wife send her passport + marriage license to the passport agency and they will endorse the pass port with her new name. This is a free service.

s.gif

Just change the name on the cruise reservation to match the passport. Then you don't have to bring other "stuff"

Just got off Oasis, my first cruise, and I was in the same boat (no pun intended). Our reservation was in my married name, and I brought my DL (with married name) passport (with my maiden name), certified copy of my marriage license, and my birth certificate, just to be safe. I'd rather have more documents than necessary than not enough. When checking in, they told me to keep my marriage license on me for customs, in case the agent asked for it. Well, when coming through customs after debarkation, they took a quick look at my passport and driver's license and sent me on my way. Never asked for any other documentation. When leaving ports, I never had to show any other documentation other than my SeaPass card. Hope that's helpful!

No need for the marriage lic...only BC and DL...that's all you need on a "closed loop" cruise.

When in port, always take your DL with you...it's the same size as your room key..and you should ALWAYS have ID on you!!!

When you get back from the cruise have your wife send her passport + marriage license to the passport agency and they will endorse the pass port with her new name. This is a free service.

Only if you change your name inside the first year of having a new passport. After that time it's not free.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/services/correction.html

The OP says his wife has 6 years left; that means she's 4 years into her passport. Not free.

why? She has a passport

It was said because all the OP said originally was "wondering if anyone has ever used their marriage license+ID instead of passport?"

Taking marriage license and ID, and NO passport, means they need the BC as well. Sicne that's all the info originally given it was a totally fine answer. :)

Yeah I'm not sure about taking the BC, that would have the wrong name too lol

Most people (at least American women who tend to change names, going on Caribbean cruises where BC&ID is possible) don't take their marriage certificates when traveling with a BC and ID, even if they changed their names. They just assume that everyone knows the custom and it will be fine. And it's usually fine (unfortunately). Taking the marriage license is crossing the T and dotting the I and making absolutely sure it'll work.

But I would totally do as cruisinfanatic says..."Just change the name on the cruise reservation to match the passport. Then you don't have to bring other "stuff""

Change it to her maiden name and just use the passport.