Zika - ugh

Just got an email from RCCL (which is why I'm posting here) with a travel warning for Zika for 3 of the ports we are visiting next week - Puerto Rico, Saint Maarten and Haiti. My first thought was not to get off the ship, but if I use the 20% DEET spray recommended by the CDC it should be OK, right? I don't want to be walking around in a state of high paranoia. :( Need some reassurance.

Just got an email from RCCL (which is why I'm posting here) with a travel warning for Zika for 3 of the ports we are visiting next week - Puerto Rico, Saint Maarten and Haiti. My first thought was not to get off the ship, but if I use the 20% DEET spray recommended by the CDC it should be OK, right? I don't want to be walking around in a state of high paranoia. :( Need some reassurance.

I have been to these islands numerous times at all times of the year and, luckily, have never been bitten by a bug of any sort. This has all been without bug spray of any kind. (Perhaps I'm fortunate but I object having chemicals such as bug repellent on my skin).

It seems to me RC has been sending out the warning email for over a year now in order to keep,travelers informed.

It is your decision as to what precautions, if any, you choose to do.

(If I were expecting a baby I would be apt to cancel the cruise).

I'm past childbearing age so that isn't an issue lol. I'll def do the bug spray for my peace of mind but I just have visions of running and screaming whenever I see a mosquito. Hmmmm maybe I need to look into a mosquito netting suit of some sort. :') You know how some people seem to attract mosquitoes - lucky me. My husband and I can be outside and he won't get any and I'll get a dozen. Hopefully the bug spray helps. Wonder if you can use that stuff on your face. :confused:

I have been to these islands numerous times at all times of the year and, luckily, have never been bitten by a bug of any sort. This has all been without bug spray of any kind. (Perhaps I'm fortunate but I object having chemicals such as bug repellent on my skin).

It seems to me RC has been sending out the warning email for over a year now in order to keep,travelers informed.

It is your decision as to what precautions, if any, you choose to do.

(If I were expecting a baby I would be apt to cancel the cruise).

I'm on Harmony right now, 22 weeks pregnant. I've seen one mosquito, ON the ship. (in the Sabor Mexican restaurant... [emoji848]) None off the ship. Haha. We are in Haiti today, no bugs except the odd ant. Are you pregnant? I definitely don't think you need to worry. Bug spray will be fine if you feel you need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If by OK you mean you won't Zika virus....well there's no vaccine or medicine for Zika so if you use an insect repellent incorrectly or somehow manage to get bitten by an infected mosquito you might get it. Not trying to be a scaremonger, but anyone telling you not to worry is.....probably understating the risk.

Not pregnant and if do get pregnant it will be the second coming so unlikely lol.

Thanks for the info, I can't believe the only one you saw was onboard. Do be careful though!

I'm on Harmony right now, 22 weeks pregnant. I've seen one mosquito, ON the ship. (in the Sabor Mexican restaurant... [emoji848]) None off the ship. Haha. We are in Haiti today, no bugs except the odd ant. Are you pregnant? I definitely don't think you need to worry. Bug spray will be fine if you feel you need it.

I had a doctor's appointment this morning, BEFORE the RCCL email - Murphy's Law. So much on my mind with another medical issue that Zika never even crossed my mind until I saw the email. It's the second time I saw her in a month too. Never even dawned on me.

And before anyone mentions it, yes, I let my doc know that I'm here and she wasn't worried either. ;)

Obviously your baby and your body is your business and I really couldn't care less about you being in Haiti while pregnant but I did want to provide this link to what the CDC says about Zika Virus in Haiti. In a nutshell:

• Public health officials have reported that mosquitoes in Haiti are infected with Zika virus and are spreading it to people.

• The mosquitoes that spread Zika usually do not live at elevations above 6,500 feet (2,000 meters) because of environmental conditions
  • Many people infected with Zika virus do not get sick. Among those who do develop symptoms, sickness is usually mild, with symptoms that last for several days to a week.
  • A pregnant woman can pass Zika virus to her fetus. Infection during pregnancy can cause serious birth defects.

Again, you do you, but I wanted to provide an official source to accompany your anecdotal report of only seeing one mosquito in Haiti for anyone else who might be reading.

If by OK you mean you won't Zika virus....well there's no vaccine or medicine for Zika so if you use an insect repellent incorrectly or somehow manage to get bitten by an infected mosquito you might get it. Not trying to be a scaremonger, but anyone telling you not to worry is.....probably understating the risk.

No of course no one can say "YOU WILL NOT GET ZIKA" but on the other side of the coin I know you (or should I say "I") can also get overly paranoid to the point of not enjoying myself, so sometimes a little reassurance not to be overly scared is a good thing if that makes sense.

Obviously your baby and your body is your business and I really couldn't care less about you being in Haiti while pregnant but I did want to provide this link to what the CDC says about Zika Virus in Haiti. In a nutshell:

•  
  • Public health officials have reported that mosquitoes in Haiti are infected with Zika virus and are spreading it to people.

•  
  • The mosquitoes that spread Zika usually do not live at elevations above 6,500 feet (2,000 meters) because of environmental conditions

• Many people infected with Zika virus do not get sick. Among those who do develop symptoms, sickness is usually mild, with symptoms that last for several days to a week.

• A pregnant woman can pass Zika virus to her fetus. Infection during pregnancy can cause serious birth defects.

Again, you do you, but I wanted to provide an official source to accompany your anecdotal report of only seeing one mosquito in Haiti for anyone else who might be reading.

No mosquitoes spotted in Haiti. The one I saw was on a sea day, on the ship. The CDC has the same info for Jamaica and Cozumel also, for anyone wondering. I did read all of that and discuss it with my doctor before booking the trip.

Guest maddycat

We were at all three ports earlier this month and never saw any mosquitoes. My husband is usually very susceptible to mosquito bites and didn't have a problem. However, we didn't venture very far from the port areas. I'd take extra precautions if I were going to the rain forest in Puerto Rico.

I agree with the other replies--I wouldn't let it worry you too much.

We went to Costa Rica last November and came back with only a couple of bites after a week of hiking through rainforests and hanging out at the beach. Didn't use deet, but stuck with natural repellent bracelets and repel lemon eucalyptus.

Have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow, pregnant and in Haiti [emoji15]

Yes. Along with several other women on this cruise. Not to mention the Haitians who are pregnant and live here. Thanks for the judgemental and unnecessary comment. [emoji1360]

I received an email warning about the Zika virus on Belize from a cruise line for one of my previous cruises. I began limiting my excursions to ones in which I would not be in places where it would be highly likely that I would get bitten. I read reviews and chose to skip the ones where people complained of bug bites.

I think many areas are treated for mosquitoes, so the odds of getting bitten in those areas are very low. I have never been bitten by a mosquito while on an excursion. I did get bit by something once on the ship. I use bug spray when getting off at each port. If I was pregnant, you couldn't pay me to take the risk of getting off of the ship at a port where the Zika virus is prevalent. It is not worth it. Also, I read that if a man gets infected, he may experience no symptoms but can pass it on sexually.

We are making 4 stops and only one has no Zika warning - Bermuda. San Juan I'd like to walk around for sure, and also Saint Maarten. If I had to skip Ladadee I'd be fine, will decide on that one once on board. The hubby and I aren't really lie on the beach people, we like walking and touring the ports so a beach day for us is kinda meh anyway. But on the other side of the coin we already have four sea days so it would be nice to get off for a little bit and not have five - it's only a 9 night cruise - 5 sea days would be a lot.

I received an email warning about the Zika virus on Belize from a cruise line for one of my previous cruises. I began limiting my excursions to ones in which I would not be in places where it would be highly likely that I would get bitten. I read reviews and chose to skip the ones where people complained of bug bites.

I think many areas are treated for mosquitoes, so the odds of getting bitten in those areas are very low. I have never been bitten by a mosquito while on an excursion. I did get bit by something once on the ship. I use bug spray when getting off at each port. If I was pregnant, you couldn't pay me to take the risk of getting off of the ship at a port where the Zika virus is prevalent. It is not worth it. Also, I read that if a man gets infected, he may experience no symptoms but can pass it on sexually.

No of course no one can say "YOU WILL NOT GET ZIKA" but on the other side of the coin I know you (or should I say "I") can also get overly paranoid to the point of not enjoying myself, so sometimes a little reassurance not to be overly scared is a good thing if that makes sense.

Yes, I understand what you're saying. I guess if you were looking for reassurance that everything is going to be OK, I was the wrong person to respond, because I'm not convinced.

No mosquitoes spotted in Haiti. The one I saw was on a sea day, on the ship. The CDC has the same info for Jamaica and Cozumel also, for anyone wondering. I did read all of that and discuss it with my doctor before booking the trip.

Oops, I misread your post, I see now that you said you only saw ants in Haiti, my mistake. You're right that Cozumel and Jamaica are also at the same 'alert level' ,so to speak, as Haiti. There's an interactive map on the CDC site I linked if anyone wants more info on where else besides those places and Haiti (because while it's true that you haven't seen any, it's also true that they are in Haiti below 6,500 feet) public health officials have reported that mosquitoes are infected with and spreading Zika virus to people

Just shower in DEET every morning and we will be fine lol. I hope that stuff isn't stinky or sticky. Never used it before.

I just got the same thing for the Western Caribbean oasis I sale on June 4. Ugh. I think the chances of contracting Zika. I don't plan on doing anything different.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I was on a Caribbean cruise in the height of Zika panic last summer. We left from Puerto Rico and spent 4 days there after the cruise including a visit to the rainforest. I bought mosquito repellent wrist bands and super duper insect repellent with Picaridin that I found on line. No bites, only time I ever saw a mosquito was when I stupidly left the hotel room sliding door open with the lights on at night and invited all the bugs in!

We will be on Allure in July, I'll just get the wrist bands and repellent again. I am more concerned about bringing it home in my blood to our hometown mosquitos than getting sick.

Remember there are people who live in these environments day in and day out vs. just visiting for a few hours. Here in SW Florida it is an every day occurrence- we've just got a can of OFF by the back door and we do a light but thorough spray if we're going to be outdoors.

If you're only going to be on the beach in Labadee it is hard to imagine there being much of a threat but a bottle of OFF or Deep Woods spray should be adequate I'd think. Personally I go for deet, with all the scares we've had in FL over the years (encephalitis, zika, etc.) I'm personally not one to mess around with lightweight solutions. If you're going on a hike or into the woods in any of these ports, long sleeves/pants could give an additional level of security.