United flights between SEA and EWR

For anyone flying from SEA to EWR, be aware that United is changing their schedule. Our 3:15 flight from SEA got changed to 12:50. Doable, but tighter than I like.

I don't know what it is about this route, but every time I fly to Seattle, the schedule gets changed. The westbound flight got changed a few months ago--three hours earlier. Now the eastbound flight is more than 2 hours earlier. What gets me angry is that in both cases, I found out by going to my reservation on United's website to check something. No notification, I found out by accident. And no, it wasn't in my spam. And then when I accepted the change, I didn't get a confirmation of that. So I had to call and listen to Rhapsody in Blue (which I USED TO love) for 10 minutes until I got some clueless woman, and then it took several minutes to get her to send me the confirmation.

So if you're flying United to Seattle for a cruise, check your reservation!

Good advice to check your seats. I just found out by accident also, that the upgraded seats that we paid extra for six months ago were no longer our seats. Our seats were changed to the last row in the aircraft! After an hour hour on the phone and insisting on our original seats we did get them back. Ours is an 11 hour flight and we booked early so could upgrade our seats. I don't understand how they give away seats that have been paid extra for. Sorry for the rant!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good advice to check your seats. I just found out by accident also, that the upgraded seats that we paid extra for six months ago were no longer our seats. Our seats were changed to the last row in the aircraft! After an hour hour on the phone and insisting on our original seats we did get them back. Ours is an 11 hour flight and we booked early so could upgrade our seats. I don't understand how they give away seats that have been paid extra for. Sorry for the rant!

You need to check on those seats weekly and more often the last couple weeks before your flight.

You must remember - it is a seat selection, NOT a seat guarantee. It is not specific to United. Read your ToCs for the flight; well, you don't have to, just know it is like it is. The could have done a change of aircraft and those seats don't exist. There are multiple permutations of a type of aircraft and just because, say you see a 757 on the route does not mean it is the one with 24 Premium Economy seats or the one with 18 and it's subject to change. If you don't get back into the front of coach, you should request and get back your upgrade money.

Yes it happened to us as well! Caught it by accident paid for extra leg room and few days before our flight our seats were all over plane, my husband's seat was moved at the very back of the plane and my seat was not next to my husband n my daughters were all moved all over the plane! Received no advance notifications at all!!

You must remember - it is a seat selection, NOT a seat guarantee. It is not specific to United. Read your ToCs for the flight; well, you don't have to, just know it is like it is. The could have done a change of aircraft and those seats don't exist. There are multiple permutations of a type of aircraft and just because, say you see a 757 on the route does not mean it is the one with 24 Premium Economy seats or the one with 18 and it's subject to change. If you don't get back into the front of coach, you should request and get back your upgrade money.

Very true, but unfortunately it seems to happen with great frequency. We've been affected on our last 3 UA flights...all with purchased seats in E+. I now put flights in the app where it's very easy to check the seat assignments regularly.

You need to check on those seats weekly and more often the last couple weeks before your flight.

I agree. I don't trust United any farther than I could throw a 747. I discovered the first change when I was double-checking that the personal info was complete. I discovered the second change when I was looking at seats (not signed in) to see how crowded the flights look. Our seats were marked as taken, and when I accepted the change, yes, those were still our seats. I don't know how long these would have been our seats if I hadn't accepted the change. At some point, would a lack of response from me cancel our reservation?

Slidergirl is right about the multiple configurations. In this most recent change, it was more than that, it was from a 737-700 to a 737-900. Economy plus seats on the 737-900 vary from 39 to 51, depending on the configuration you get. And if your Economy Plus seat on the 737-700 was 7A 7B or 7C, it no longer exists (a lavatory is there). (Gotta love Seat Guru!) And that takes me back to my main complaint--lack of communication. If your seat number is gone, you end up wherever the computer plops you down--and nobody tells you!

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Exactly! Everytime we have had a schedule change, the seats were changed. It is up to the passenger to keep abreast of the airline's changes. We are FF passengers on American, who does notify us of a time change, but not always of a seat change. We paid extra on BA last year for upgraded seats. The aircraft was changed, and the seats no longer existed. BA didn't bother telling us. We did get a refund, however.

I do (have done) everything in my power to avoid flying into, out of, and/or though EWR (Newark). Don't care what airline it is. I do realize that metropolitan New York people sometimes don't have a choice ........... and often very low fares are available to me if I do Providence to Newark, than on............ never had a flight that was not delayed or in the case a commuter flight canceled........ No Way !........ A Rhode Islander