Live from the Encore: Unfortunately not the Seabourn Standard!

No USB ports in any cabin. An astonishing oversight. The new Regent ship, Explorer, has them everywhere. That ship isn't perfect either for different reasons, but who doesn't need to recharge some kind of electronic device these days?

Less than $20 gets you a surge protected extension with several plug ports and a couple of USB ports. Very handy because many hotels don't have USB ports either.

Thanks for that information, Mr.L. I hope they are also aware that things are not always going smoothly with the existing ships as well. And plan to do something about it asap. It is a shame when a favourite and much loved line takes a dip.

In so many ways I think Tihany and Keller are taking Seabourn for a ride. They have too much input with little benefit IMO. Having said that, with all the problems with Encore, we loved our cruise on Encore in March. We are on Quest in October and already missing the Sushi Restaurant :D

In so many ways I think Tihany and Keller are taking Seabourn for a ride. They have too much input with little benefit IMO. Having said that, with all the problems with Encore, we loved our cruise on Encore in March. We are on Quest in October and already missing the Sushi Restaurant :D

Couldn't agree more. The emperors aren't wearing any clothes. We will avoid Encore until these issues are resolved but don't plan on abandoning SB, in fact we will be crossing the Atlantic on Odyssey in October and are thoroughly looking forward to it.

Less than $20 gets you a surge protected extension with several plug ports and a couple of USB ports. Very handy because many hotels don't have USB ports either.

FYI, like most cruise lines, Seabourn does not allow surge protectors. Here's a quote from their list of prohibited items.

*Electrical devices such as small fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords without surge protectors are allowed onboard when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

Here's a discussion from another website.

Surge Protectors

Add surge protectors to the latest in a list of banned items for cruising. If you are bringing an outlet adapter to increase the number of outlets in your cabin, make sure that it doesn’t have a surge protector on it.

It might seem weird that they aren’t allowed. However, recent studies by the Coast Guard show that they can mess with the ship’s electrical system, increasing the potential for a fire. Instead, just bring an outlet tap with multiple plugs and no surge protector.

FYI, like most cruise lines, Seabourn does not allow surge protectors. Here's a quote from their list of prohibited items.

*Electrical devices such as small fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords without surge protectors are allowed onboard when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

Surge Protectors

Add surge protectors to the latest in a list of banned items for cruising. If you are bringing an outlet adapter to increase the number of outlets in your cabin, make sure that it doesn’t have a surge protector on it.

It might seem weird that they aren’t allowed. However, recent studies by the Coast Guard show that they can mess with the ship’s electrical system, increasing the potential for a fire. Instead, just bring an outlet tap with multiple plugs and no surge protector.

Interesting. I will need to check mine and buy a new (and probably cheaper) one if necessary.

What do you mean you "haven't got any extra tips." Do mean mean "given.?" If so tips are included on Seabourn so no need to ever tip extra. Not only is it not necessary to tip but I feel strongly that doing so to a few individuals not only undermines the whole tips included policy but is quite unfair to all of the hardworking crew whom you have not tipped. Rewarding good service on Seabourn can take the form of a good word to that person's supervisor or glowing remarks on the questionnaire in addition to a nice "equitable" donation to the Crew Welfare Fund.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What do you mean you "haven't got any extra tips." Do mean mean "given.?" If so tips are included on Seabourn so no need to ever tip extra. Not only is it not necessary to tip but I feel strongly that doing so to a few individuals not only undermines the whole tips included policy but is quite unfair to all of the hardworking crew whom you have not tipped. Rewarding good service on Seabourn can take the form of a good word to that person's supervisor or glowing remarks on the questionnaire in addition to a nice "equitable" donation to the Crew Welfare Fund.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Usualy I left € 50 per week in the cabin

I have been an ardent cruiser solely with Crystal for the past 16 years. I am going to abandon it for the time being to explore other ships. Seabourn is the premier one on my list, and I have already reserved a cabin for the inaugural sailing on Ovation next May. I am a bit skeptical after reading all the comments.....Regent and Cunard are on my list too.

I fully understand that cruise lines try to lower their costs to maintain a healthy profit, but there is always a breaking point to be loyal customer.

Any suggestions to a newbie will be immensely appreciated.

Edited by SwankPooch

What do you mean by "inaugural" sailing? Encore will have been in full service for well over a year by April 2018. Try not to be alarmed by too many negative comments. As with any brand new ship, it's true that Encore has had some teething problems caused by poor design decisions (Retreat, laundry and TK Grill) and some cost cutting is rather too obvious, but one person's perfect cruise is another's "cruise from hell". It's a very personal perception. My advice would be to go with an open mind and be prepared to be very pleasantly surprised. If you are accustomed to sailing in larger ships then I don't suppose you'll have any issues at all.

Here's hoping that by the time SwankPooch sails on the Ovation the issues identified on Encore will have been addressed for this size of ship and it will be more like the Seabourn experience we are all used to.

I have heard tons of positive comments from Crystal cruisers (Seabourn is their first preference) and I am willing to give it a try with an open mind. A few bumps here and there aren't going to deter my love of cruising. Nothing is perfect is this universe.

I have heard tons of positive comments from Crystal cruisers (Seabourn is their first preference) and I am willing to give it a try with an open mind. A few bumps here and there aren't going to deter my love of cruising. Nothing is perfect is this universe.

the main reason for booking is the service - if the service is partly not existing then there are large bumps! Try first one of the smaller ships and then the encore and you will see the difference!

BTW: Crystal is a very good product but the small cabins are a joke (even a standard balcony cabin on a costa ship are larger)!

What do you mean by "inaugural" sailing? Encore will have been in full service for well over a year by April 2018. Try not to be alarmed by too many negative comments. As with any brand new ship, it's true that Encore has had some teething problems caused by poor design decisions (Retreat, laundry and TK Grill) and some cost cutting is rather too obvious, but one person's perfect cruise is another's "cruise from hell". It's a very personal perception. My advice would be to go with an open mind and be prepared to be very pleasantly surprised. If you are accustomed to sailing in larger ships then I don't suppose you'll have any issues at all.

SwankPooch posted that he's booked the inaugural sailing of the Ovation, not the Encore.

Surge Protectors

Got myself a GE brand non-surge protected extension with two US plug ports and two USB ports from Walmart (are Seabourners allowed to shop in Walmart :evilsmile: ) for just $15.

SwankPooch posted that he's booked the inaugural sailing of the Ovation, not the Encore.

I realised my error after posting but my point stands. I hope SB learns the lessons from Encore and doesn't repeat them on Ovation. And I also stand by "wait and see".

I realised my error after posting but my point stands. I hope SB learns the lessons from Encore and doesn't repeat them on Ovation. And I also stand by "wait and see".

Sounds like you'r not an inaugural voyage kind of guy. You should just wait a few months to make sure SB is doing it right for you.

I've sailed on the Quest and Odyssey before trying the Encore on its first cruise from Athens to Singapore six months ago. I was thoroughly impressed, so much so that I really don't want to sail on the other ships again unless the itinerary was really good.

I just booked an 18 day cruise on Encore for July ( 2017 ).