Defending cruise ship staff

superola

In two different service jobs, I hav been the victim of abusive behavior. Both times, I was grateful for the support of kind people--in one case my co-workers, in the other case, a customer.

Personally, like a few others on this board, I cannot stand by and allow severe verbal abuse (ethnic or racial epithets, foul language) and I have stood up to it on a couple of occasions. I do see the point of those who say it is not my business but I would be ashamed of my own cowardice if I ignored that sort of thing.

Great idea to start videoing!

In two different service jobs, I hav been the victim of abusive behavior. Both times, I was grateful for the support of kind people--in one case my co-workers, in the other case, a customer.

Personally, like a few others on this board, I cannot stand by and allow severe verbal abuse (ethnic or racial epithets, foul language) and I have stood up to it on a couple of occasions. I do see the point of those who say it is not my business but I would be ashamed of my own cowardice if I ignored that sort of thing.

It is unfortunate that some people abuse and some keep out of it but you have to think if it was yourself,wife or family member that was being abused or assaulted you would hope someone would come to help you thats why i think we all if possible should be prepared to help someone.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Just because someone is good at dealing with it does not mean its right.

As a teacher I have just had to gently explain to a pair of quite mouthy and 'entitled' parents why their daughter (who worked her way through the schools behaviour system to its extreme level in various ways) cannot go on an upcoming trip. Got some stick for it but holding my ground....apparently she has to go because its all shes been talking about this week.

As a retired teacher I can relate. I consoled myself with the thought that I only had to put up with the kid for the rest of the school year, while Mom will have to put up with the little monster she is creating for the rest of her life. Or, 'the best revenge is living well'. Which I am. Sometimes on a cruise ship.

I was on Celebrity Equinox a couple of weeks ago at the Solarium (restricted to 16 and over) and there was a woman there with 2 little kids. The pool butler went over and spoke to her. She wasn't happy and then another woman, apparently the mom, arrived and the first woman told her the kids weren't allowed. They both gave the pool butler more lip but eventually left in a huff. I waited until well after they left and then went up to the pool butler and quietly just told him that I knew that had to be the least favorite part of his job but I appreciated it. And slipped him a couple of bucks.

The irony was that the kids didn't really want to be there surrounded by adults in a quiet place, they would rather have been at the regular pool with other kids, free to splash and have fun. But the Solarium is enclosed and climate controlled and cooler and that is what mom & friend wanted.

Most 'kid problems' are really parent problems. But then, seeing how the parent operates, the kid grows into the same kind of adult.

As a retired teacher I can relate. I consoled myself with the thought that I only had to put up with the kid for the rest of the school year, while Mom will have to put up with the little monster she is creating for the rest of her life. Or, 'the best revenge is living well'. Which I am. Sometimes on a cruise ship.

I was on Celebrity Equinox a couple of weeks ago at the Solarium (restricted to 16 and over) and there was a woman there with 2 little kids. The pool butler went over and spoke to her. She wasn't happy and then another woman, apparently the mom, arrived and the first woman told her the kids weren't allowed. They both gave the pool butler more lip but eventually left in a huff. I waited until well after they left and then went up to the pool butler and quietly just told him that I knew that had to be the least favorite part of his job but I appreciated it. And slipped him a couple of bucks.

The irony was that the kids didn't really want to be there surrounded by adults in a quiet place, they would rather have been at the regular pool with other kids, free to splash and have fun. But the Solarium is enclosed and climate controlled and cooler and that is what mom & friend wanted.

Most 'kid problems' are really parent problems. But then, seeing how the parent operates, the kid grows into the same kind of adult.

That is pure truth. Thank you

That is pure truth. Thank you

I agree with this.

In our city lots of women have kids with a few different men and the kids are being brought up without respect as often there is not a permanent man figure to keep them properly behaved in a proper family unit.

As a senior woman traveling alone, I think I'll stay with my instincts to mind my business. I'd be in a fine mess if some big guy/woman, decides they did not appreicte my buting into something thatis none of my business. It's c alled common sense and survival. As to being in a 'servcie job'. my firs t job was in an ice cream parlor. Ifwhen you are 70+ years traveling alone, you may see my 'reality'. Sorry, I don't have a smart phone so no videoing.

I guess it would depend on the situation. But I may be compelled to say to the passenger what the crew member would get fired for saying. Nobody deserves to be verbally abused regardless of their job or position. A certain amount may be tolerated, but if you cross the line then you deserve to get as good as you give.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As a senior woman traveling alone, I think I'll stay with my instincts to mind my business. I'd be in a fine mess if some big guy/woman, decides they did not appreicte my buting into something thatis none of my business. It's c alled common sense and survival. As to being in a 'servcie job'. my firs t job was in an ice cream parlor. Ifwhen you are 70+ years traveling alone, you may see my 'reality'. Sorry, I don't have a smart phone so no videoing.

Thats understandable if there were more able people near to but in.

I guess it would depend on the situation. But I may be compelled to say to the passenger what the crew member would get fired for saying. Nobody deserves to be verbally abused regardless of their job or position. A certain amount may be tolerated, but if you cross the line then you deserve to get as good as you give.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Perfectly said.

Yesterday was a case.

We got home and a neighbour informed us two 6 year old kids had been using sticks and cut off about 50 Hydrangea heads off our Hydrangea memorial garden for my late parents.at the side of our front garden.

We went to one of the houses and we brought the mother,nan and child down to see the absolute mess and they were all crying and sorry.

1 hour later the dad of the other child came down with the previous kids mother and he announced he went to the gym ,he was very aggressive and we had a 30 minute confrontation with him as he said they were only 6 years old and they were only flowers as if we should just accept the vandalism.

2 different responses and with a parent like his dad who had split up from his mam the kid obviously is following his dads attitude.

Yesterday was a case.

We got home and a neighbour informed us two 6 year old kids had been using sticks and cut off about 50 Hydrangea heads off our Hydrangea memorial garden for my late parents.at the side of our front garden.

We went to one of the houses and we brought the mother,nan and child down to see the absolute mess and they were all crying and sorry.

1 hour later the dad of the other child came down with the previous kids mother and he announced he went to the gym ,he was very aggressive and we had a 30 minute confrontation with him as he said they were only 6 years old and they were only flowers as if we should just accept the vandalism.

2 different responses and with a parent like his dad who had split up from his mam the kid obviously is following his dads attitude.

Hit him where tt will hurt. the only language this type seems to understand is when ;they get the bill for the damage. get the best landscaper in your town to givea quote for the cost of repllacing the damaged plants. Drop it in the dad's mailbox with a copy of the small claims complaint you can file in court without need of an attorney. at least you can in some states.... don't know about yours. A large bill an d a day off from work to go to court for the small claimms hearing might get through dad's thick skull? If nothing else, tthoer kids who apparently will be your neighbors for some years, may lean r t o stay out of neighbors' yards.

Sorry for the pain you suffer for the loss of a very meaningful memorial.

Thank you. We are from England and under 10s are untouchable by law.

We tidied every thing up ourselves.

There was 12 Hydrangea bushes which i brought from my parents garden when they died 6 years ago and carefully looked after them and each bush had about 30 big lilac flower heads on so when tidying there was about 75 heads out of approximately 360 scattered all over all the way up to their apartment.The father said He is a good boy as he brought a load of flowers home and they took them to his grans!!

We have lived in our detached house for 35 years but they live about 200 yards away in a group of rented apartments so hopefully they might move on as it seems he only has limited custody of his son.