Seashells???

danams2017

I am sure this is a stupid question… We are going on the glory, Western Caribbean, this summer. Our beach days include staying at Mahogany beach in Roatan, snorkeling wonders of the barrier reef in Belize (which is centered around a tiny little island) and Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel. I'm wondering if I should get a seashell a bag for the kids? Will there be lots of seashells to collect on these beaches?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most places don't allow the removal of shells OR sand from their beaches...check local regulations before you start taking stuff! IF it is allowed, make sure there are no "dead critters" inside the shells...the stench will be awful once you get it back to the ship!

Where are you sailing from? We did that cruise but also tacked on two days/nights in Sanibel which is an amazing place for shells. You can walk around on conch shells like you normally walk on sand. Google "Sanibel shells" and click on images.

I am sure this is a stupid question… We are going on the glory, Western Caribbean, this summer. Our beach days include staying at Mahogany beach in Roatan, snorkeling wonders of the barrier reef in Belize (which is centered around a tiny little island) and Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel. I'm wondering if I should get a seashell a bag for the kids? Will there be lots of seashells to collect on these beaches?

PLEASE don't remove shells, sand, soil from beaches, particularly if you intend to bring these "uninspected" items into the US. (That's why they're listed on the reentry forms). The same hold true for other countries including NZ, Chile, et al.

It's the "hitchhiking" bugs/microbes you can't see that is the problem that can decimate crops in agricultural regions (remember Med Fruit Flies?).

In the past, I enjoyed bringing little sandwich baggies of EMPTY seashells back from ports, if able to find any, and never had any problems bringing them back onto the ships. Carnival has changed their policy, sometime late last year, and no longer allows beach collected seashells to be brought back on the ships.

What is confusing is that while enforcing this new rule by confiscating shells that passengers try to bring back onboard the ships is that Carnival has not updated their website with this new policy, which clearly states under the "Additional Prohibited Items" on their "Exemptions list", "Seashells may be brought onboard from the ports visited if they appear to be clean and sanitized and do not have the odor of a living organism."

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2261/kw/can%20you%20bring%20seashells%20back/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ5NjUxNjI4MS9zaWQvZlVBOTNXJTdFbmEzUmRvN2R3TzY4SDVGSko4UU9tel9JMnlyZEo2QXRqRjJVeVZFcCU3RVpIa1ZTUTIzYmx0bm4wQ0tNRDNvQmNoSXFIaVk4cWFJZlNGYUNGeGdKaHpTRkltam5VV01IMnlWQ3JCMWhDcTB0Q2JxTjNWdyUyMSUyMQ%3D%3D

Earlier this year, John Heald posted this change on his social media page (screen shot of John's post attached). He did mention if the shell was purchased in port and receipt can be provided, then you can bring it back onboard.

Screenshot of John Heald's post:

CarnivalCruiseLine_NewPolicySeaShells.jpg

I know there are many who comment "take pictures, leave footprints", and if everyone collected seashells from beaches there would be none left. There are many people, including adults, who enjoy collecting seashells but many more who don't. But my purpose for this post isn't to start a debate on the ethics of collecting seashells. It's to answer the OP and provide them with "proof" that Carnival no longer allows this because I'm sure it would be very upsetting for a child to have found shells of their own to bring back only to have them taken away by security when getting back on the ship.

How about rocks? Can we pick up rocks and bring them back?

After reading this:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1226/~/seashells%2C-sand%2C-pebbles%2C-driftwood-for-personal-use

...understand that the two key items here are "sanitized" and "declared."

Few, if any, cruise passengers have the onboard means to adequately sanitize items to the extent agricultural inspectors in any developed country would require. And not declaring them opens an entire other world of trouble.

In the past, I enjoyed bringing little sandwich baggies of EMPTY seashells back from ports, if able to find any, and never had any problems bringing them back onto the ships. Carnival has changed their policy, sometime late last year, and no longer allows beach collected seashells to be brought back on the ships.

What is confusing is that while enforcing this new rule by confiscating shells that passengers try to bring back onboard the ships is that Carnival has not updated their website with this new policy, which clearly states under the "Additional Prohibited Items" on their "Exemptions list", "Seashells may be brought onboard from the ports visited if they appear to be clean and sanitized and do not have the odor of a living organism."

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2261/kw/can%20you%20bring%20seashells%20back/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ5NjUxNjI4MS9zaWQvZlVBOTNXJTdFbmEzUmRvN2R3TzY4SDVGSko4UU9tel9JMnlyZEo2QXRqRjJVeVZFcCU3RVpIa1ZTUTIzYmx0bm4wQ0tNRDNvQmNoSXFIaVk4cWFJZlNGYUNGeGdKaHpTRkltam5VV01IMnlWQ3JCMWhDcTB0Q2JxTjNWdyUyMSUyMQ%3D%3D

Earlier this year, John Heald posted this change on his social media page (screen shot of John's post attached). He did mention if the shell was purchased in port and receipt can be provided, then you can bring it back onboard.

Screenshot of John Heald's post:

CarnivalCruiseLine_NewPolicySeaShells.jpg

I know there are many who comment "take pictures, leave footprints", and if everyone collected seashells from beaches there would be none left. There are many people, including adults, who enjoy collecting seashells but many more who don't. But my purpose for this post isn't to start a debate on the ethics of collecting seashells. It's to answer the OP and provide them with "proof" that Carnival no longer allows this because I'm sure it would be very upsetting for a child to have found shells of their own to bring back only to have them taken away by security when getting back on the ship.

As someone who has dived the world, I can reassure you that there are plenty of seashells in the sea.

How about rocks? Can we pick up rocks and bring them back?

After reading this:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1226/~/seashells%2C-sand%2C-pebbles%2C-driftwood-for-personal-use

...understand that the two key items here are "sanitized" and "declared."

Few, if any, cruise passengers have the onboard means to adequately sanitize items to the extent agricultural inspectors in any developed country would require. And not declaring them opens an entire other world of trouble.

I don't know for sure, but I have seen some passengers who wouldn't qualify for "sanitized" or "declared". Have you ever sailed out of Galveston?

I don't know for sure, but I have seen some passengers who wouldn't qualify for "sanitized" or "declared". Have you ever sailed out of Galveston?

I have "beyond zero" interest in ever doing a cruise from Galveston (or anywhere else on the Gulf of Mexico). Same goes for NOLA (though I'd have no problem flying there for a food getaway).

I have "beyond zero" interest in ever doing a cruise from Galveston (or anywhere else on the Gulf of Mexico). Same goes for NOLA (though I'd have no problem flying there for a food getaway....

Some of us, maybe even many of us, feel the same way about going to california for any reason, not just for a cruise.

I have cruised out of Galveston and NOLA.

Galveston was a nightmare, we almost missed our cruise because of the lack of taxis and ubers (from first taxi and uber contact it took two hours to get one, and we were accosted by other car-rental-returnees to climb into our uber like clowns in a VW.

NOLA was unique and amazing, exiting slowly through the Mississippi delta. And for the "duuuuude" from CA, the food in NOLA is good, some very good, and yes it's unique, but there is no excellent food to be found, similar to LA. Try Manhattan.

Some of us, maybe even many of us, feel the same way about going to california for any reason, not just for a cruise.

Not to worry. We're okay if you don't want to visit.

In any case, you may want to look at the facts:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/the-most-popular-us-states-for-tourism-2014-10

Not to worry. We're okay if you don't want to visit.

In any case, you may want to look at the facts:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/the-most-popular-us-states-for-tourism-2014-10

Got anything more recent than 2014?

And I didn't say ALL, or MOST. I said MANY, which I'll stand with. Have a nice day.