Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

Though I have never needed them aboard a Viking Ocean or River cruise ship, I have made an extension cord, adapters, and a small converter part of my "must pack" list. Hotels for pre or post cruise stays are not nearly as generous with their outlets and most have only 220v European style receptacles. My constant companion (C Pap machine) is fussy about what it needs and comes with a short tail, hence the need for my electrical odds and ends. Viking or the airlines have never given me any problems about them.

And, if you bring a couple of adapters, you can use the 220 outlets for charging things if you use up all of the 120v and USB outlets.

Oddly enough on our river cruise, we found that the 220 outlets with the adapters charged things faster. We used them mostly to charge our camera batteries. I used the USB ports for my Nook, phone and laptop.

Didn't you post a picture before of them? 2 USB ports (an EU outlet too?) on each side of the bed with one USB port for each pair is 2.1Amps. Two 120v outlets in the left side of the desk next to two 220v outlets (one dedicated to the quiet voice charger). On the right side of the desk is another 220v outlet just behind the desk lamp. Note that this lamp along with the outlet is always live; it is not affected by the master switch at the door. The lamp and that outlet do not turn off when you pull your key out of the slot by the door. So if you want to leave a camera battery (for ex) charging while you're out for the day, use that outlet with your EU adapter.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's good to know - thanks! We usually do that - leave one charging - so the extra batteries are charged when we need them. I was wondering about the card for the lights. Can you use an expired gift card? Will the stewards remove them or can you let them know you are charging devices?

That's good to know - thanks! We usually do that - leave one charging - so the extra batteries are charged when we need them. I was wondering about the card for the lights. Can you use an expired gift card? Will the stewards remove them or can you let them know you are charging devices?

We were on Star last month. If we wanted things to stay on, we just put my library card in the slot - but normally we were good with anything we had left on going off, so we used the library card sparingly. I just kept it near the slot when not in use. An expired gift card would be perfect, since even if you forget it when you leave the cruise, you don't need to replace it. Our steward never removed my library card, or if she did (doubt it), she replaced it after she used her own. I just charged batteries when we were in the room, so I never really had to worry about where the outlets were or whether they would go off at night or when we were out of the room. I used the ones on the wall behind the desk/fridge.

We were on Star last month. If we wanted things to stay on, we just put my library card in the slot - but normally we were good with anything we had left on going off, so we used the library card sparingly. I just kept it near the slot when not in use. An expired gift card would be perfect, since even if you forget it when you leave the cruise, you don't need to replace it. Our steward never removed my library card, or if she did (doubt it), she replaced it after she used her own. I just charged batteries when we were in the room, so I never really had to worry about where the outlets were or whether they would go off at night or when we were out of the room. I used the ones on the wall behind the desk/fridge.

Thanks! That's great. I save the old gift cards so if I lose one or forget it no big deal. You never know when they will come in handy!

Thanks! That's great. I save the old gift cards so if I lose one or forget it no big deal. You never know when they will come in handy!

We used our Explorer Club card for that. But basically even a piece of paper does it. Something thick and opaque enough to block the light in the slot.

I've been on Star twice, and both times our desk lamp had five USB outlets/ports in the base. I don't remember a regular outlet.

When we did the maiden from Istanbul to Venice in April 2015, we had no bedside outlets, but a panel had been installed on the nightstands somewhere between that first cruise and my recent one in October. It was a nice addition, and one I think came installed on subsequent ships.

Just call me observant. :eek:

Just call me observant. :eek:

In the base? I was on the Star July 2016 and the Sky last week. The outlet/plug configuration I described was based on the Sky. The 220 outlet I was referring to is on the wall behind the desk lamp. Never noticed or looked to see if the lamp base itself had outlets/ports such as I've seen recently in US hotels in recent years. Hmmmm.

Many times, in various threads.

I know the desk lamp stays on but on the Star this past month, I don't remember seeing any outlets on it. As ship #1, sometimes things are different. Maybe someone who is currently aboard the Star can double check the desk lamp and report the absence or presence of outlet.

When we were on the Star July 2016, there was a 220 outlet mounted on the wall behind the lamp on the right hand side of the desk in the PV cabin. Was the same on the Sky last week.

I have question for those of you who have done the San Juan to San Juan West Indies Explorer. I know there is a welcome aboard dinner and usually a farewell dinner. What nights are these on? I've also heard lobster mentioned - this would interest me greatly :D

I'm also wondering about the excursions that involve a beach stop. Did you wear your bathing suit under your clothes? Was there a place to change after?

Probably have more questions, but those were ones on the top of my head!

My answers may not be totally relevant but as nobody else has responded... we were on the San Juan to San Juan Amazon (21 night) cruise in December. There were welcome/farewell nights but I don't recall them being anything special except for the speeches and crew introductions at the farewell reception in the Atrium. There was lobster at least one night (maybe two).

Depending on the excursion you chose they advised to either wear bathing suits under regular clothing or change when you got to destination. This depended on whether or not the destination had adequate change facilities. For example, for the catamaran cruise the boat's bathroom was rather small so some people might finding changing in it difficult.

I have question for those of you who have done the San Juan to San Juan West Indies Explorer. I know there is a welcome aboard dinner and usually a farewell dinner. What nights are these on? I've also heard lobster mentioned - this would interest me greatly :D

When we did Viking Homelands in 2016 (15 days) starting in Bergen, the Captain's Welcome Reception was on day 2 in the evening 5 hrs after leaving Bergen. The Farewell Reception was the evening we left Helsinki enroute to Stockholm, day 13. On our recently completed (last week) Panama Canal Central America cruise (14 days) the Welcome was day 2, Farewell was also day 13. Light appetizers at welcome reception; champagne at all. Lobster??? No.

My answers may not be totally relevant but as nobody else has responded... we were on the San Juan to San Juan Amazon (21 night) cruise in December. There were welcome/farewell nights but I don't recall them being anything special except for the speeches and crew introductions at the farewell reception in the Atrium. There was lobster at least one night (maybe two).

Depending on the excursion you chose they advised to either wear bathing suits under regular clothing or change when you got to destination. This depended on whether or not the destination had adequate change facilities. For example, for the catamaran cruise the boat's bathroom was rather small so some people might finding changing in it difficult.

Thanks! Good to know that they will advise us so I know what to wear and bring with us.

I didn’t think the Welcome & Farewell would be much of a todo but they were nice on the river cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I know there is a welcome aboard dinner and usually a farewell dinner. What nights are these on? I've also heard lobster mentioned - this would interest me greatly

Probably have more questions, but those were ones on the top of my head!

The dinners were served in the dining room. They were not part of any event, other than dinner, but were available on the night of those two events on our 15 day cruise. At the events themselves, I don't remember anything bring served but you could purchase drinks.

The dinners were served in the dining room. They were not part of any event, other than dinner, but were available on the night of those two events on our 15 day cruise. At the events themselves, I don't remember anything bring served but you could purchase drinks.

We are getting the Silver Spirits package.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just got back from a Viking Baltic cruise. I purchased some sort of ATT international plan just in case, like I always do, but I never wound up using it. The internet on the Viking Star was relatively good, and since I had already enabled free ATT wifi calling on my iPhone, every call I placed was free.

Forums

You just saved us a bundle of money. I didn’t know about the option to place calls over a WiFi connection. We won’t need the international calling plan after all. THANK YOU!

Thanks for the helpful replies...does anyone know approximately how much space is under the bed in DV on Viking? Trying to figure out which suitcases to bring. Some might be too deep I’m guessing.

Not sure, but just measured the suitcase I took. It's a little less than 10 1/2 inches deep.

On the WiFi calling, we used it in Iceland in June at an airBnB place that had WiFi. It worked well. It was new to me at the time, but once I figured out how to enable it, it was great. I think it's best to turn it off when you get home, though. Also, if you visit Cuba, you may want to put your phone in airplane mode or turn it off there. Cuba blocked my and some other people's phones and we couldn't use them until we got away from Cuba.

Does anyone know if the main pool is open during colder cruises? We’re doing the Trade Routes cruise up the coast of Western Europe in April. My husband is an avid swimmer and is wondering if he’ll be able to swim laps to work off all that great food.

Also, at the other end of the fitness spectrum, do the in-room bathrobes fit plus-sized women? :)

Does anyone know if the main pool is open during colder cruises? We’re doing the Trade Routes cruise up the coast of Western Europe in April. My husband is an avid swimmer and is wondering if he’ll be able to swim laps to work off all that great food.

Also, at the other end of the fitness spectrum, do the in-room bathrobes fit plus-sized women? :)

They will close the roof over the main pool and it will be quite comfortable in there for swimming and even lounging in a chair. Having done many colder weather cruises on various lines, I think the Viking ships are very well suited to that type of cruising - better than most.

If you are in a V category cabin you will NOT have a coffee machine nor binoculars in the room.

there are plenty of umbrellas ...Large...so pack a small one if you just want to drop it in your bag.

There are also 2 USB ports bedside.

We were able to watch the port talks later the same evening on the TV!!!

On our Baltic Cruise there was a shuttle in most every port that was a distance from the city.......worked wonderfully!!!

Room Service is reliably punctual for breakfast.

our room steward also asked if we would like ice each afternoon.........always delivered by 4:30 so we could make a cocktail.

Hi,

What is a V category? We are in a deluxe veranda. Thanks for your answer.

Hi,

What is a V category? We are in a deluxe veranda. Thanks for your answer.

A V cabin is exactly like yours, minus binoculars, cashmere blanket and coffee maker. You are not allowed to make dining plans until on board but you can eat at all restaurants where there are openings. V cabins are allowed to book shore excursions 60 days out. That's 7 days after you.

A V cabin is exactly like yours, minus binoculars, cashmere blanket and coffee maker. You are not allowed to make dining plans until on board but you can eat at all restaurants where there are openings. V cabins are allowed to book shore excursions 60 days out. That's 7 days after you.

So sorry for not understanding. Does that mean I am in a V cabin? :)

No, as you said, you are in a Delux Veranda.

The DV get to book excursions at 67 days out and book speciaity dining at 60 days out.

The two categories are Veranda(V) and then Delux Veranda (DV). both have the same sq footage. After that you get into larger stateroom with more perks.

If you are in a "deluxe veranda", you are in a DV cabin. The V cabins are veranda cabins. As Dauntless has said, the cabins are the same, but the DV have a few more amenities and earlier reservation times. Their locations may also be a little more desirable, for some. If you go to this Viking webpage and scroll down to Stateroom Features, you should be able to see the list of amenities for each cabin category. I don't know which ship you are on, but they are all pretty much the same.

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/ships/viking-star.html