art auctions are they still around

sunsetme

We got a $200 credit on our last cruise on the Magic. I used it and bought a nice quirky piece. To the poster about animation, you should have been on that cruise. Tons of animation related stuff. I guess it's luck of the draw.

We have bought some things here and there but we went in knowing what we wanted, knowing what price point we wanted it in, knowing the true value of it and we NEVER get their framing and such.

To be honest two cruises ago between my wife and I we won like 4-5 different things and the only thing I bought was a little like $25 piece because I thought my wife would like it (was quirky looking - don't even remember who it was by).

I like to look at all the stuff go by that's high dollar on the cruise but won't sell, I also like to hear stories about the different artists and such. The champagne is usually pretty low end but some seem to enjoy it. More than anything it's a way for us to kill some time and see some art we might not ever see up close to outside of this setting. Almost bought a piece from Norman Rockwell we have wanted for a while but the price went higher than I was willing so we backed out.

Hi

They aren't real auctions. The pieces aren't real investment quality as they might suggest. Like anything else on the ship or on a vacation, don't spend a lot of money unless you really understand what you are buying.

I have seen a number of times where they start giving away (free) works. This often happens after they have sold enough for the cruise. This is typically indicative of the works real value. They are still making money on the cost of framing and delivery charges.

As long as you are happy paying for exactly what you see and understand any additional fees, not being influenced by any notion of possible appreciation in value of what you have purchased, then go for it and enjoy.

As others have mentioned, you can just do a google search to find "issues" regarding the company involved. I recently saw an old episode of "Pawn Stars" where a lady brought in one of the Rembrandt etchings, (they have been selling these for a number of years now) that was purchased for her on board a ship from Park West. As usual, they brought in one of their "guys" to evaluate the work. While she was under the impression that it might have a 5 digit value, she was obviously disappointed when the appraiser suggested a 3 digit value.

Buy what you know, if you don't know, buy from a reputable local dealer who will be able to help you. They will have more of an interest in developing a happy, repeat customer.

hope this helps

We have gone just to look at the art work. Then we found out the have a gallery and we didn't need to go to the auction. It took us a few cruises to figure this out. In October we got a free piece of art for staying in a suite. We got an envelope with a paper inviting us to pick out our free artwork valued at $200. We thought it was a ploy and ignored it. Then they called us on the last sea day to make sure we go the invite and then to see why we hadn't come down.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yep that happened to us on our recent cruise in May and we actually did buy 3 pieces since we are decorating our home and need some wall pieces.