HAL dining - seating options?

Stoffel1982

On most HAL cruises, getting fixed late dining is not a problem :). By 8PM...it seems like at least half the passenger are already in their cabins for the night We generally do open dining...and prefer to dine late...often after 8. On most of our HAL cruises the MDR is pretty empty at that hour. Another advantage to dining late is that the shows for the late diners (often before dinner) are not nearly as crowded as the shows intended for the early diners. So we can often walk into our show at the last minute and still get a great seat.

Hank

On our recent (Prinsendam and Westerdam) HAL cruises there were plenty of folk up and about well past 8:00 -- including the MDR and alternative venues.

On our recent (Prinsendam and Westerdam) HAL cruises there were plenty of folk up and about well past 8:00 -- including the MDR and alternative venues.

Well past 8? You mean 9 :). Guess you could say I am a night own, which is how we became quite friendly with the recently retired Captain "Halle" who would often appear in the Crows Nest after 11...to simply relax and socialize with the few of us who were awake. When we are on some other lines (such as Princess) we often have trouble even finding a seat for the late night comedy show (usually around 11:30 or midnight). On HAL cruises there is no such thing as a late night adult show...and there are very few late night adults :). The funny thing is that on our Zuiderdam cruise in Northern Europe....there was a pretty decent late night crowd. But they were the European teens.....who became the best late night entertainment on the ship. The last BB King set was truly a jumping place....and actually attracted more then a dozen "old folks" who all seemed to enjoy watching the "kids." But on our Prinsendam cruises (always longer voyages) there were very few teens....and very few pre-senior adults. DW and I will also confess to loving that old Prinsendam (we have exactly 200 days on that vessel) despite it seeming like an Assisted Living Center...on some of our cruises.

Hank

That's my experience on my many HAL cruises, too. You don't thinking people who can't find company later in the evening should take it personally, do you? ;)

• 1 month later...

I booked on the Oosterdam 15 months ahead and my travel agent could only confirm open dining. I had wanted late (8pm) seating at a table of 8 or so. Is it all open dining on HAL now ? I am only a 1 star Mariner at this time so that could be the problem. At open dining will they ask to seat you at a larger table with others when you enter the dining room ?

I booked on the Oosterdam 15 months ahead and my travel agent could only confirm open dining. I had wanted late (8pm) seating at a table of 8 or so. Is it all open dining on HAL now ? I am only a 1 star Mariner at this time so that could be the problem. At open dining will they ask to seat you at a larger table with others when you enter the dining room ?

We booked ZUIDERDAM 11 months in advance and we too are surprised we are still waitlisted for late (table for 2 please). Typically early dining is most popular with U.S. cruisers. This is our first Holland America and I think you make a good point Archipelago.

We are still 47 on waitlist so I think we may have open seating. (Nye cruise)

Wonder if it is easy to get table for two?

How does open seating res work and is there a best time to make reservations for each night?

Sent from my iPad using Forums