Sorry for yet another dress code question ... QM2 TA

scdreamer

I tried to search for this, but may have missed it. We are starting to think about what we will bring on our transatlantic on QM2 in August.

My husband is fine for formal nights, but isn't sure about informal - would it be okay for him to wear a nice dark navy suit jacket with khaki colored slacks? I can't tell if the suit needs to be matching slacks/jacket or if a combo is okay.

We will be traveling throughout England and Norway for a month before the sailing, so we are trying to be as efficient as possible in our packing.

A navy suit jacket would be acceptable but in my opinion a sports jacket would be better as the jacket/trousers mix goes along more harmoniously.

Regards John

Yes - that's what I meant!

We were on a TA last month, our first cruise ever, and I faced the same uncertainty. Following the suggestions of various CruiseCritic posts on this site, I brought a classic navy blue blazer and two pairs of slacks (khaki and gray). This seemed to be the overwhelming style of choice. I also brought one tie which I only wore the first evening. However, only about 20% of men wore ties on casual nights. Just an FWI regarding formal nights, I brought two tuxedo shirts, one with a traditional tuxedo shirt collar and one with a more contemporary (and more comfortable) collar. I wore the traditional collar on our Roaring Twenties formal night to go along with my wife's "flapper" dress. The other two formal nights I wore the contemporary collared shirt as did the majority of men. Just to mix things up a bit I brought two different bow ties.

Hope this helps

Harold

It has relaxed a lot over time. If anyone remembers crossing on the old QE2 it was always jacket and tie required after 6pm the first and last night and black tie required for the nights in between. Miss the days of the 5 or even 6 day crossings- 7 is just too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How does a tweed sports jacket go down?

The tweed sports jacket has been my non-formal night strategy for years. I wear moleskin trousers of an appropriate colour to go with the jacket and a neck tie. The advantage of jackets is that you have suitable pockets to put spectacles etc. in as trouser pockets pose problems when dining. To be honest I wear some type of jacket whatever the code is, even if a line has a casual night.

Regards John

It has relaxed a lot over time. If anyone remembers crossing on the old QE2 it was always jacket and tie required after 6pm the first and last night and black tie required for the nights in between. Miss the days of the 5 or even 6 day crossings- 7 is just too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ditto,

That is why we were attracted to Cunard and the QE2, the proper dress each day. The tone it sets in ship is very special after 6...

Missed those days and the QE2...