Calling home from cruise

MrMike45

We didn't stream or download on the Breakaway last week. We did used Skype to call home daily (Skype voice to landline) with no problem at all.

In September 2016, we were on the Dawn and in April 2017 on the Jewel. Both times, we downloaded TV shows from iTunes without any issues (and pretty quickly). Granted, these were downloads and not streaming.

The "perceived speed" of the internet onboard has a lot to do with the local cache server. When you are web surfing, if the server is "smart" enough, it will have your next page already cached locally on the ship before you click on the link. And you feel like you are on a land wifi. Cache servers are some of the upgrades NCL made last summer.

The cell service at the dockyard was creeping along. The ship's wifi was much faster. That being said, I don't know what NCL does in Bermuda. They had arrangements in some ports to hook the ship to hardwired internet while in port. That included service to ship's operations, crew, and passenger paid wifi.

Edited by BirdTravels

There is even a better option. If you have a newer phone your carrier may offer wifi calling. My Samsung S8 and Verizon are working on the cruise I am on now. I upgraded my free 250 to unlimited. Then turned on airplane mode and then turned on WiFi calling. My cell portion of the phone is now disabled and phone works as normal

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

This! If you have a relatively new phone, you can do this easily. Just google wifi calling and your phone type and carrier to get instructions on how to set it up. It works PERFECTLY to make phone calls without the potential stress of accidently using mobile data or receiving texts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

Bad information often flows widely.

To use a calling card and connect via an 800 is still a phone call. You might as well call direct. No free 800 calls from the ship.

If you are making a CELLULAR call on land or ship, you can avoid data issue by turning DATA ROAMING off. This works on all phones and carriers.

Pretty much all those global plans to not include shipboard calls.

If you are going to try skype, google, etc... try it from home. Do not wait until you are on the ship.

This! If you have a relatively new phone, you can do this easily. Just google wifi calling and your phone type and carrier to get instructions on how to set it up. It works PERFECTLY to make phone calls without the potential stress of accidently using mobile data or receiving texts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

Hi. Would this work with an iPhone 6 or does the phone need to be newer.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi. Would this work with an iPhone 6 or does the phone need to be newer.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most iPhone (whether it's 6 or 7 with "s" and/or "plus") and even my "old" backup iPhone 5s support WiFi calling ... as long as it's running "newer" iOS (operating system) software, it works with iOS 8.x (jailbroken) when I was still running it 2 years ago ... reluctantly updated mine to run 9.3.x earlier this year as I needed to run Apps that won't install unless it's 9.x or higher with the OS)

Most users but not all, updated their iPhone's OS to 9.x and (for iPhone 6 and 7 with "faster A7 or A9, 64 -bits chipsets) to 10.x as Appled rolled them out for OTA and iTunes upgrade.

Key, important reminder, turn off & recheck under "Settings" after device is on Airplane Mode, after turning back on WiFi - that cellular (radio) is OFF (if SMS or Texting is not used) and that roaming data is OFF. Make some "test" calls at home over WiFi before leaving for the cruise to be familiarize with how to ... same for doing SMS or texting.

This is the FAQ from Sprint about WiFi calling - (AT&T has one for their WiFi calling, VZW does too and also for T-Mobile) - there are specific & unique info and details depending on the carrier, generalized assumptions are not wise and can be costly $$$.

https://www.sprint.com/en/support/solutions/services/faqs-about-wi-fi-calling.html

Edited by mking8288

My wife and I just got off a TA cruise on the Getaway....here's what we did....

1) Got the unlimited data plan

2) Brought our laptop

3) Bought for about $35 (which includes a year of service) a Magic Jack along with a $10 ATT corded phone. As long as you live in the U.S. or Canada, you can make a local call and there is no limit to the phone calls. Yes, you can skype, but if you find out you need to call a plumber or something serious, good luck trying to Skype/FB Live that.