Taormina

justjona

We will be arrinving in Messina, on Sunday August 20th at 12:00 until 8:00 on Royal Princess and I am looking for advise on the best way to tackle our plan. We are going to get off ship as soon as possible and want to go straight to Taormina. In Taormina we will walk the town, visit the gardens and the greak theater. I know we can reach Taormina by train which would take the least amount of time and then the bus up to town. With the time frame i have mentionned can someone help me to tell me what time i could catch the train and a which time i could catch the train back to ensure we do not miss our ship. If you have any other suggestions that would be better for transport your suggestions are appreciated. Tks Joanne

we will be arrinving in messina, on sunday august 20th at 12:00 until 8:00 on royal princess and i am looking for advise on the best way to tackle our plan. We are going to get off ship as soon as possible and want to go straight to taormina. In taormina we will walk the town, visit the gardens and the greak theater. I know we can reach taormina by train which would take the least amount of time and then the bus up to town. With the time frame i have mentionned can someone help me to tell me what time i could catch the train and a which time i could catch the train back to ensure we do not miss our ship. If you have any other suggestions that would be better for transport your suggestions are appreciated. Tks joanne

please can anyone help me

You're not going to like the answer.

It's a Sunday and you arrive at lunchtime, so the first train you could make doesn't leave Messina until 2:35 PM. I doubt if you'll want to waste that much time waiting around.

The Interbus doesn't help either, it doesn't depart until 3:40 PM from Messina.

I think your best bet is to get on your roll call and see if you can find folks to share a car service or taxi.

You're not going to like the answer.

It's a Sunday and you arrive at lunchtime, so the first train you could make doesn't leave Messina until 2:35 PM. I doubt if you'll want to waste that much time waiting around.

The Interbus doesn't help either, it doesn't depart until 3:40 PM from Messina.

I think your best bet is to get on your roll call and see if you can find folks to share a car service or taxi.

Thank you so so so much Euro Cruiser for taking the time to answer my question, i was at work today and telling myself i wish Euro Cruiser could respond. Yes you are right not happy with the answer but thank you all the same, i will now search for a car service, again thank you for responding - Joanne

A few years ago we used Roberto Mirabile for private guide service in Sicily! It was excellent! Highly recommend... I did a review on TripAdvisor.

Thank you very much I will check this out.

Joanne

We used Roberto Mirabile's services a couple weeks ago. While we did not have Roberto, his driver, Sebastian was terrific. We did go to Castelmola first, which is typically combined with a trip to Taormina. We had been to both before, but our friends traveling with us had not been to either place. Sebastian took us to several spots in Castelmola we had never been to. In Taormina, we were on our own. It's such a beautiful town - even with all the military presence in town as it was the day before the G7 summit started. One of my favorite places in Italy.

We have also used Sicily Life tours in Sicily before, both for Taormina and Palermo. They always do a good job, too.

I love taking trains where possible in Italy but Messina is not the port to do this. Hiring a van and driver is definitely the best option. Taormina is such a special place that it would be a shame not to maximize your time there.

I can recommend Sicily Limo. I have used them many times and have been very pleased each time. Please note, I have not hired a guide, just a van and driver.

I have also had great success finding people on each sailing's roll call to share the cost which is smart because that means more money for gelato, cannoli, arancini and wine. :-)

Marilyn

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I will be in Europe on the new Carnival Horizon ship in April Messina is the only port i have not planned yet, what areas would you recommend for first timers there and using outside tour co. with their cost? Thanks for any info.

We used Roberto Mirabile's services a couple weeks ago. While we did not have Roberto, his driver, Sebastian was terrific. We did go to Castelmola first, which is typically combined with a trip to Taormina. We had been to both before, but our friends traveling with us had not been to either place. Sebastian took us to several spots in Castelmola we had never been to. In Taormina, we were on our own. It's such a beautiful town - even with all the military presence in town as it was the day before the G7 summit started. One of my favorite places in Italy.

We have also used Sicily Life tours in Sicily before, both for Taormina and Palermo. They always do a good job, too.

Thnak you so much i am checking out sicily life, sicily limosine and sily4you, they all seem great just have to choose 1 though

We just did this last week on our Celebrity Constellation cruise which stopped in Messina. We used the highly rated SicilyWithMario to get to and from Taormina and also stopped in Castelmola above Taormina which I would highly recommend.

I will be in Europe on the new Carnival Horizon ship in April Messina is the only port i have not planned yet, what areas would you recommend for first timers there and using outside tour co. with their cost? Thanks for any info.

We were on Carnival Vista last year and they offered a coach transfer only to Taormina which was a very popular option. We were there the week after Vista damaged the marina and sank a few local boats.

Taormina was very pretty,very picturesque, well worth visiting. The town is small enough to walk around, is pedestrianised and has some lovely options for lunch.

We just did this last week on our Celebrity Constellation cruise which stopped in Messina. We used the highly rated SicilyWithMario to get to and from Taormina and also stopped in Castelmola above Taormina which I would highly recommend.

We are using Mario on our trip in a couple of weeks, A group of us are going from our roll call for only €50 each which includes some touring on the way. The Princess transportation only option to Taormina for less time was $69. The price was based on 8 people in the van.