Cheers Question

ISHCruising

Just a discussion that came up recently with friends. Surely Carnival will not require two Cheers packages for guests 21+ if one traveler is pregnant? Or a recovering alcoholic? The policy seems black and white, but has anyone requested an exception?

I didn't see that policy expressly written at all, just that 21+ need to purchase (no mitigating factors listed). Seems a bit discriminatory that someone be required to pay more because of a partner's pregnancy.

Just a discussion that came up recently with friends. Surely Carnival will not require two Cheers packages for guests 21+ if one traveler is pregnant? Or a recovering alcoholic? The policy seems black and white, but has anyone requested an exception?

I have never heard of an exception being made. Remember that Cheers is offered to make CCL money, not to save the passengers money (although that is the marketing hook). If one person can't use Cheers that the other just pays per drink and if they budget what Cheers would cost for two would likely save money.

I didn't see that policy expressly written at all, just that 21+ need to purchase (no mitigating factors listed). Seems a bit discriminatory that someone be required to pay more because of a partner's pregnancy.

No one is being required to pay more. Either you both purchase the package for consumption or one person drinks ala carte as mentioned above. It is not required to purchase the CHEERS package. It's completely optional. Again, as stated above, one single person drinking and not having cheers, is most likely going to be less than purchasing 2 CHEERS packages.

I have heard of exceptions being made with documentation from a physician only when the cheers package is purchased on board and at the customer service desk.

This is not a personal experience but we did meet a couple on board and she was pregnant he had a cheers sticker and she did not and thats what they told us.

The presented the documentation to the CS desk and they waived the requirement of her to purchase.

It is in fact expressly stated that all adults sharing a stateroom must purchase the program. There are no exceptions listed because there are no exceptions. It's even in red on the policy FAQ. You can try your luck with guest services, with doctors note and explaining the situation. If you want to be mad, be mad at everyone trying to abuse the system that made them put these strict rules in to make sure that people don't game the system.

It also not discriminatory at all. It's actually a quite indiscriminate policy. It doesn't care who or what you are, you have to purchase Cheers if you are an adult in a room with someone purchasing it.

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1106/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ5Njg3MTQ3MC9zaWQvZlUxelF6dDFTWE1CTGRLY2RCRjFvTkwwZjZIME1Va01yWXdyNGZYbVNnZm9rTmhJYUVCanFhdjNhYW1oSGxMb2MwdXN4Ym1Yc2huR1k4aHFaJTdFM1kyWWs4WXZLeWF0M0pJVGxxTzlfZHA4S3UlN0VsNGxMaXI0YXpmdyUyMSUyMQ%3D%3D

news flash, woman smoke and drink during pregnancy. I don't drink nor am I saying this is right. But many of us born in the 50's, our parents smoked and drank and we came out alright. I have a pregnant employee who smokes. all her peers admonish her, she just does not care

there is at least one member on this board that was PISSED because carnival did not allow her to drink while she was pregnant. (It wasnt cheers)

it shows that the plan needs to be all or nothing and no exception should be made. This member proves that there should absolutely no exceptions

• 3 weeks later...
news flash, woman smoke and drink during pregnancy. I don't drink nor am I saying this is right. But many of us born in the 50's, our parents smoked and drank and we came out alright. I have a pregnant employee who smokes. all her peers admonish her, she just does not care

Totally agree, there's a lot of misinformation out there about smoking and drinking during pregnancy. My life partner's brother and dad are both docs and her own GP/OBGYN had no problem with her smoking or drinking during pregnancy because quitting would be even more stressful for her an the baby. She cut down her smoking significantly just because she said she doesn't feel like it as much during pregnancy because she already feel unhealthy for being fat. She didn't consume more than one beverage per hour because the problem actually being DRUNK while pregnant, not having a few drinks over an afternoon or evening. Most people in the 50s didn't binge drink like people do today.

there is at least one member on this board that was PISSED because carnival did not allow her to drink while she was pregnant. (It wasnt cheers)

it shows that the plan needs to be all or nothing and no exception should be made. This member proves that there should absolutely no exceptions

They actually cut my life partner off after she had purchased the drink package because she found out she was pregnant. I guess some of reason for price increases lately have come from the bar staff/whoever administers cheers all being doctors maybe?