Question about steak in the dining room?

Darstan64

My dad was a pro meatcutter but I do not know what a "flap" is - please enlighten me.

BTW - we buy all of our strip and ribeye at Sams and they are the best except for prime which is hard to find and when found is not in my pay grade

We have 506 days on Princess and 7 days on Celebrity - the food on Celebrity is a step below McDonalds

Up here in New England it's referred to as "Sirloin Tip". They do have flap meat at Sam's. We'll buy it on occasion. Unfortunately, what they sell has not been trimmed, so it's quite a task. We use the flap on most of our BBQ's If you want Prime, it is available at Costco nearer the holidays. Definitely NOT cheap. But when you want to impress the family/friends it's the way to go. I usually buy a 8-10lb Prime Tenderloin, which my partner trims for a Beef Wellington that will knock everyone's socks off for Christmas Eve. dinner.

Steaks are hit and miss as far as quality in the MDR and for that matter Crown Grill. However lately we have been happy with the steaks (New York, Ribeye) in the MDR of the Royal. We have done 70 days on her in the last 7 months.

Even our last two stops at the CG have been an improvement. Their bone in Ribeye which they call a beef chop was very good, a pleasant surprise.

OP must not have been on a Princess cruise for a while. The sirloin steak hasn't been an option for well over five years.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello,

I was just on the Carribbean Princess last yr 2016

Darene :)

Hi Asto Flyer,

Sorry my signatures are messed up I don't have all the cruises listed that we went on as I switch off from Princess and Carnival but we are platinum members with Princess and our last cruise was on the Carribbean Princess to the Carribbean in 2016. I appreciate all the information and when we do go back on Princess I will let my husband know that he can order a steak in advance in the dining room. Thank you :)

Darene :)

Darstan64...Your cruise signature shows most recently sailing the Caribbean in October 2012...when was your most recent cruise?

No one is happy with the cutbacks which are happening as all cruise lines seek to keep cruise fares affordable to fill their ships. About a year ago salmon was eliminated from the always available menu which upset many passengers & eventually was returned to the menu. That has not happened with the beef medallions & their gourmet burger is a lousy replacement.

The prices we're paying today when adjusted for inflation are less expensive than decades ago when we began cruising. I have a digital copy of a 1977 Princess brochure with cruise fares that are similar to today 40 years later. The cheapest 3 day cruise was $228 which based on inflation would be $920 today which is closer to a luxury cruise lines price.

Unfortunately some cutbacks are necessary to have cruise fares affordable for enough passengers to fill ships. Cutbacks are not only occurring on Princess but overall they're doing a better job than some other cruise lines. I prefer a few cutbacks to other cruise lines such as NCL & RCI who are continually adding more fee based dining options.

As others have posted, there are still many nightly beef options such as prime rib, Chateaubriand, Beef Wellington, New York Strip and beef medallions. So there are still enough beef options for me but as said I agree that a burger is a poor excuse for the always available beef option.

Am I the only one who actually LIKES the gourmet burgers in the MDR? They are so much better than the ones at the outside grill.

Of course, I have some pretty strange tastes. One is my favorite Valentine's Day dinner traditions is a cheeseburger and a bottle of Dom Perignon. Go figure . . .

Am I the only one who actually LIKES the gourmet burgers in the MDR? They are so much better than the ones at the outside grill.

Of course, I have some pretty strange tastes. One is my favorite Valentine's Day dinner traditions is a cheeseburger and a bottle of Dom Perignon. Go figure . . .

I've only had Dom Perignon once and didn't really care for it. Of course it was the cheapo Dom at only $89 a bottle (45 years ago). I'm sure it's more now even for the low end.

I've only had Dom Perignon once and didn't really care for it. Of course it was the cheapo Dom at only $89 a bottle (45 years ago). I'm sure it's more now even for the low end.

Hmmm . . . 45 years ago, I wasn't allowed to drink alcoholic beverages, so it probably wasn't my drink of choice then. ;p

Thrak,

What's wrong with you drinking that bilge water ( Dom Perignon )?? When you can have the good stuff like we serve on the Rowboat :D. It's the Special Champagne you get when you win a contest on a Princess cruise. Made fresh every Tuesday in the boiler room from the finest Princess ships. :D

The Captain of the Rowboat,

Tony

It is very sad that princess has done this.

For many years people talked about what a bargain a cruise vacation is.

I'm no longer finding this to be true.

It is still a bargain, even more so than in the past. Prices have not come close to keeping up with inflation, instead staying quite low in comparison. If you find paying less to not be a bargain, how much of a bargain would you consider cruising on one of the luxury lines instead, where the service, food and amenities are similar to what was usual on typical cruises 20 years ago, but cost twice as much as a mass market line does today?

You can't have it both ways - pay low fares and expect up-scale service and food. Unrealistic to expect it or to be disappointed when you take advantage of those low fares.

It is still a bargain, even more so than in the past. Prices have not come close to keeping up with inflation, instead staying quite low in comparison. If you find paying less to not be a bargain, how much of a bargain would you consider cruising on one of the luxury lines instead, where the service, food and amenities are similar to what was usual on typical cruises 20 years ago, but cost twice as much as a mass market line does today?

You can't have it both ways - pay low fares and expect up-scale service and food. Unrealistic to expect it or to be disappointed when you take advantage of those low fares.

I have a digital copy of a 1977 brochure for a 3-day Princess cruise with the least expensive cruise fare being $228 which with inflation would now cost $920. Today such prices would be for luxury cruise lines such as Crystal & would provide exceptional food and services.

But some people want it both ways - cheap prices and high quality food & service. :confused:

It is still a bargain, even more so than in the past.

To me, the product offered has declined below something I am am interested in purchasing.

It no longer matters how much more they reduce the price.

There is a difference between a bargain, and simply a low price.

To me, the product offered has declined below something I am am interested in purchasing.

It no longer matters how much more they reduce the price.

There is a difference between a bargain, and simply a low price.

As the former CEO of Continental Airlines so eloquently put it, "You can make a pizza so cheap nobody will eat it."