Carnival Easy Pay

I'm not trying to sound high and mighty about personal finance or judgmental but maybe people should consider whether it actually makes sense to take a vacation they can't comfortably pay for outright when they book it. Nothing hurts my soul more than to hear a student paying for spring break on a credit card or getting a credit card or extra student loan to finance something like that.

There's a difference between not being able to pay it all at once vs not being able to afford it at all and putting it on credit and paying interest. There's no way I'm plopping down over $4,000 (even if I had it sitting in the bank) for my Edge cruise a year and a half in advance. But I'm OK with having my deposit down. As it gets closer I'll have my money stashed away, put the balance on my card, get my points, then pay the bill as it comes due. Or maybe I'll get a good chunk of it paid for by redeeming my Capital One Venture rewards points. I'm not sure yet.

There's nothing wrong with making payments interest free, but I still don't see this new way as anything special.

We already do "installments". Book far in advance when there is a deposit sale, then I pay a chunk whenever a have a bit of extra. It's paid in plenty of time, but on my terms.

I wouldn't be interested in the 3-pay plan...I like it just the way it is!

I don't see too much of a benefit with this either, except as a semi-guaranteed full-pay for Carnival. I suspect that people often put down the deposit, kinda forget to make any more payments, and then when full payment is due they cancel, because they just don't have enough cash on hand.

They should sweeten the pot and offer some OBC or an onboard perk if you commit to the payment plan and complete it without any problems.

We already do "installments". Book far in advance when there is a deposit sale, then I pay a chunk whenever a have a bit of extra. It's paid in plenty of time, but on my terms.

I wouldn't be interested in the 3-pay plan...I like it just the way it is!

Like button

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maybe not, but, it is still sitting in their bank account earning interest. That is a win for them.

Sure is not much and I would wager not the reason. Now if you said it keeps more business in the books (as opposed to an early cancel) I might agree. At any rate, it an option and options are good.

Sure is not much and I would wager not the reason. Now if you said it keeps more business in the books (as opposed to an early cancel) I might agree. At any rate, it an option and options are good.

I'm sure it is quite a lot. I used to work for a company where most of the profit was obtained by holding other people's money for a few days at a time and collecting the interest. From one person it is not much, but the combined amount is huge

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm sure it is quite a lot. I used to work for a company where most of the profit was obtained by holding other people's money for a few days at a time and collecting the interest. From one person it is not much, but the combined amount is huge

@ today's rate of 1% or less? Immaterial and hardly make a dent.

Let's say it was the deposit of $500. 1% of that (and it has to be liquid as they might need to refund) is $5. Wow, you are right (that's for the month by the way). Check with your local bank on what they offer..... as I said it is not the reason for the offer.

It's not just the deposit. I have a cruise 6 months away. I've already purchased 3 excursions, internet and bev package. So that's another say $800 the cruise line is earning interest on. Multiply this by thousands of people and I estimate about a quarter million annually. And that's a conservative estimate

It's not just the deposit. I have a cruise 6 months away. I've already purchased 3 excursions, internet and bev package. So that's another say $800 the cruise line is earning interest on. Multiply this by thousands of people and I estimate about a quarter million annually. And that's a conservative estimate

$250,000 @ 1% = 2,500/yr or $208/ mon. That's less than one drink package you pay on 7 day cruise.