Room Service

So its my understanding now that room service has a service charge unless its the continental breakfast. My son can only have almond or coconut milk and last Fall when we cruised the Oasis we were only able to get it at the MDR and with room service. If we have to order it via room service again will they charge a service fee for that?

So its my understanding now that room service has a service charge unless its the continental breakfast. My son can only have almond or coconut milk and last Fall when we cruised the Oasis we were only able to get it at the MDR and with room service. If we have to order it via room service again will they charge a service fee for that?

Unless you are in a Grand Suite or better, or your milk is on the continental breakfast menu, it appears that you will be charged.

Of course it would be charged :( ! I just emailed the special needs department about it! We will need it at least twice daily and that fee will add up way too quickly. Ill have to figure out another way to get it when the MDR is closed.

Can you get a refrigerator and bring your own supply?

I am not allowed to bring anything perishable on the ship. We can bring our own snacks and food for him but with the stipulation that it is not perishable.

I am not allowed to bring anything perishable on the ship. We can bring our own snacks and food for him but with the stipulation that it is not perishable.

There is shelf stable almond, coconut, cashew milk that does not require refrigeration, therefore not classified as "perishable". These would be no different than a juice box or Capri Sun type drink. Put those in your suitcase and carry them on board and refrigerate then. Maybe get your son used to the taste beforehand because it does taste a little bit different.

There is shelf stable almond, coconut, cashew milk that does not require refrigeration, therefore not classified as "perishable". These would be no different than a juice box or Capri Sun type drink. Put those in your suitcase and carry them on board and refrigerate then. Maybe get your son used to the taste beforehand because it does taste a little bit different.

Its def an option I will look at if the special needs department can not help me. We were going to do this last year but he could not stand the taste of the milk out of these - plus the ship was able to help us so it all worked out. It will be about 14 months since our last cruise so that time makes a huge difference to a little one so worse case I slowly introduce him to this. I would need to take roughly 14# on with me, since they are only a quart, so Ill need a suitcase just for the milk :/

Im also thinking I could order a crap load of glasses on the first day and put the milk in large thermoses and keep it in the fridge. I could probably do this twice while onboard and then only have to spend $16 in fees vs paying the fee twice daily.

Its def an option I will look at if the special needs department can not help me. We were going to do this last year but he could not stand the taste of the milk out of these - plus the ship was able to help us so it all worked out. It will be about 14 months since our last cruise so that time makes a huge difference to a little one so worse case I slowly introduce him to this. I would need to take roughly 14# on with me, since they are only a quart, so Ill need a suitcase just for the milk :/

Im also thinking I could order a crap load of glasses on the first day and put the milk in large thermoses and keep it in the fridge. I could probably do this twice while onboard and then only have to spend $16 in fees vs paying the fee twice daily.

That actually sounds like a pretty smart idea.

The MDR is open for breakfast every morning, for dinner every evening and for lunch on sea days - why can't you get extra during those times and keep it in your cabin "cooler" in a large thermos container? If it's not cold enough, bring a soft-sided cooler and keep it filled with ice. I really don't understand the issue at all. Exactly how many times a day were you planning to order room service?

The MDR is open for breakfast every morning, for dinner every evening and for lunch on sea days - why can't you get extra during those times and keep it in your cabin "cooler" in a large thermos container? If it's not cold enough, bring a soft-sided cooler and keep it filled with ice. I really don't understand the issue at all. Exactly how many times a day were you planning to order room service?

I guess never thought of filling up a thermos in the MDR in the evening, thats a good idea!!

If I can get about 24oz at the MDR in the evening and then we would be fine through the evening and the morning, and then if we need more we can get it at breakfast.

When we sailed last year we would grab some at dinner and then just had the customer service desk call room service for us and order about 3-4 glasses and by the time we turned in for the night it showed up shortly after and we were able to keep in in a thermos in the fridge. In the morning we typically had what we needed from what room service brought us the night before and sometime we would request another glass from room service in the morning, it worked out perfectly. Im just trying to think ahead since there will be the charge now.

Really?? Last year my daughter and I brought a pint of half and half because we like it in our coffee and RCI uses some sort of "coffee whitener" that has a binder to which I'm allergic. No one stopped us or questioned us about it, although if we had tried it with a half gallon they might have.

I'm going to bring a pint this year too, I hope they don't take it!

Really?? Last year my daughter and I brought a pint of half and half because we like it in our coffee and RCI uses some sort of "coffee whitener" that has a binder to which I'm allergic. No one stopped us or questioned us about it, although if we had tried it with a half gallon they might have.

I'm going to bring a pint this year too, I hope they don't take it!

It might have been the size of it. We would have had to take A LOT .... like 2-3 pints per day and it was a 8 day cruise. 1) i didnt want to even both traveling with that much plus it worked out perfectly for us they way we did it and it was much more convenient. Im sure they will work with us this time around as their special needs department has been so very accommodating; from needing to requesting a specific dinning table/area in the MDR, allowing our child in AO still not potty trained, working with his dietary needs, giving us a special private mustard drill, priority boarding, etc. Which is the one of the main reasons we only cruise with RCCL.