BEWARE of non Carnival excursion in Mexico!!!

psouthcomb

I am concerned about using a debit card overseas so we use a regular credit card. I would rather put another companies money at risk rather than mine. (although debit cards are fully protected)

But remember cash is king.

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

• 3 weeks later...
NEVER USE DEBIT CARDS! I don't even use them at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ditto. My husband is a VP of a major Credit Union. He will not let ANY of us have a debit card. He has seen too many issues, taking long time and many headaches to straighten out. We can only use credit cards and pay it off each month.

We always use only cash in Mexico and Caribbeans, but we don't buy excursions from cruise lines in most cases. We find proven providers. Usually they offer more variety and better prices.

Same here. The only time that I use a card it is my CapitalOne and then only to book a deposit online. I would never, ever use a debit or credit card out of the states. To tell the truth, I would not use a debit card period.

Ditto. My husband is a VP of a major Credit Union. He will not let ANY of us have a debit card. He has seen too many issues, taking long time and many headaches to straighten out. We can only use credit cards and pay it off each month.

That is really ludicrous- - thousands of us use debit cards every day just along the Mexican Carib. You use reputable bank atm's, never the stand-alone machines. And if on vacation just change your pin when you get home.

Same here. The only time that I use a card it is my CapitalOne and then only to book a deposit online. I would never, ever use a debit or credit card out of the states. To tell the truth, I would not use a debit card period.

You obviously don't travel to destinations where you need cash. A debit card is a way of life for thousands of folks who live in or visit US and non-US destinations. Without a debit card you have to carry wads of cash or take cash advances out of your credit card account which is ridiculous.

Common sense (monitoring your statements, keeping a separate travel account, changing your pin regularly) goes a long way.

You obviously don't travel to destinations where you need cash. A debit card is a way of life for thousands of folks who live in or visit US and non-US destinations. Without a debit card you have to carry wads of cash or take cash advances out of your credit card account which is ridiculous.

Common sense (monitoring your statements, keeping a separate travel account, changing your pin regularly) goes a long way.

And I don't understand why you would use a debit card to make a deposit online??? That's where you would use a credit card...

Clean your glasses. That is not what I said.

Ok, I will clean my glasses. :*

So you only use a cc to book a deposit online but do not use a cc or dc for anything else. I understand you mean you only use a cc when you absolutely have to - e.g. for an online deposit. That makes sense for some, we are all different.

We use our capital one cc for everything from groceries and gas to big ticket items so we can fly or cruise to the Carib free twice a year. We use our debit cards when living in Mexico. Just depends on your lifestyle and how much you travel ;)

Ok, I will clean my glasses. :*

So you only use a cc to book a deposit online but do not use a cc or dc for anything else. I understand you mean you only use a cc when you absolutely have to - e.g. for an online deposit. That makes sense for some, we are all different.

We use our capital one cc for everything from groceries and gas to big ticket items so we can fly or cruise to the Carib free twice a year. We use our debit cards when living in Mexico. Just depends on your lifestyle and how much you travel ;)

If I lived in Mexico I would use my cc. Unfortunately I haven't sold the retirement as an expat to the misses yet. And yes, at home everything is paid on the card for air travel. Works swell. It is amazing how much money goes through a small business in a year.;)

In most ports we book through independent tours. Pay a deposit on the cc and pay cash for the balance when and if we arrive. The only time we take a ship tour is if we are traveling a long distance from the port.

:) Gotcha!

Yes living abroad (or visiting) when you use the cc you get the bank rate which is the best exchange rate, and it's very common to keep a balance in a US or a local Mexico bank and use a dc for daily expenditures.

But when you get the missus to look at the expat option you'll look into that! :)

Edited by blue_water
typo

:) Gotcha!

Yes living abroad (or visiting) when you use the cc you get the bank rate which is the best exchange rate, and it's very common to keep a balance in a US or a local Mexico bank and use a dc for daily expenditures.

But when you get the missus to look at the expat option you'll look into that! :)

Thanks BW. We are seriously considering migrating in the winter as soon as Ginger D retires.

I have lived in Mexico for 11 years and use my Schwab card several times a week. Using a debit card gets the best exchange rates. My bank does not charge international or atm fees and refunds any fees I pay elsewhere. I have never had a problem with the exception of my wallet being stolen, luckily they stopped a suspicious transaction immediatly and contacted me.

My daughter came back from the Paradise last week and used her debit card to pay for a excursion not affiliated with Carnival in Mexico. Her bank closed her account due to over $600 in fraudulent charges in 5 different towns in Mexico. Please beware and use cash if you can!!!!

That's common to close the account and open a new one. Although it is more common to hear of unauthorized charges when using the wrong ATM's than when using the card with an independent excursion operator.

But she was not charged for the fraudulent charges, correct?

I totally disagree with writing off all non-cruise excursions.

We have been to Cozumel 10+ times. We always use Crescencio Lopez of Black Hat Tours. He is AWESOME! He is knowledgeable, friendly, and has a great reputation. He will make sure you have a fabulous day for MUCH LESS than the ship tours. Please don't be afraid to use him.

I totally disagree with writing off all non-cruise excursions.

We have been to Cozumel 10+ times. We always use Crescencio Lopez of Black Hat Tours. He is AWESOME! He is knowledgeable, friendly, and has a great reputation. He will make sure you have a fabulous day for MUCH LESS than the ship tours. Please don't be afraid to use him.

Yes there are many, many very reputable independent operators throughout the Caribbean and Mexico and we've used several over the past 15 years with no problems.

The OP's post set off a rash of "use cash only" and don't trust non-cruise line operators" and "never use debit cards" replies, and that is ridiculous of course. A little research is important, but this occurrence is very strange as operators survive on customer reviews.

The majority of comments on here are just a load of nonsense. We have used non cruise excursions throughout the Caribbean and thoroughly enjoyed them. They were better value than those offered by the cruise lines.

I constantly use my contactless Visa debit card because European countries are gradually becoming cashless societies. If Visa debit cards are compromised your bank will reimburse you.

Credit cards can be compromised anywhere in the world including in the shop or restaurant down the road from where you live.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you a debit card as a debit card (meaning you have to put in a pin #), the protections is different than if you use it as a credit card (signing for purchases). I use my debit card as a credit for purchases all the time, I don't even know what my pin # is anymore. Plus I purchase an ID protection plan for my entire family. It will do all the work for me if something does happen

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app