Bringing bungee cords

So I've read that the freedoms a/c has not been working well of late in some rooms. ( we sailed on her last September and didn't notice an issue) . We have a balcony room this September. So we have heard that some people bring bungee cords to keep their balcony door open. Has anyone done this and how well does it work? Thank you kindly [emoji854][emoji568]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most likely the AC problem will be resolved by the time you are on your cruise. It is also possible that people are complaining about an AC problem because some people are leaving their balcony doors open thus creating an unnecessary problem.

Cabins are combined in horizontal and vertical blocks. When the AC system comes on in a cabin with a door tied or propped open, it runs continuously for all cabins in the block while it tries endlessly to change the temperature of the air coming in from outside the ship to match the temperature in the room with the open door.

You might have fresh air, but the cabins around you, above you and under you will be uncomfortable.

Most likely the AC problem will be resolved by the time you are on your cruise. It is also possible that people are complaining about an AC problem because some people are leaving their balcony doors open thus creating an unnecessary problem.

Cabins are combined in horizontal and vertical blocks. When the AC system comes on in a cabin with a door tied or propped open, it runs continuously for all cabins in the block while it tries endlessly to change the temperature of the air coming in from outside the ship to match the temperature in the room with the open door.

You might have fresh air, but the cabins around you, above you and under you will be uncomfortable.

Ah makes sense that a whole block of rooms run off the same condenser. I wonder if the regulator averages the temperatures of all the rooms then

Ah makes sense that a whole block of rooms run off the same condenser. I wonder if the regulator averages the temperatures of all the rooms then

No, ships don't use a traditional condenser, air is drawn through water chillers.

People need to pay attention to the op original question. He said if the ac does not work he will prop the door open. This is a solution to a problem and not the reason the ac will not work. So has anyone done this?

People need to pay attention to the op original question. He said if the ac does not work he will prop the door open. This is a solution to a problem and not the reason the ac will not work. So has anyone done this?

Should the Freedom become dead in the water with all engines down then open the doors with whatever is handy.

Propping the door open in a foolish attempt to compensate for poorly functioning A/C won't solve the problem.

Unless you're on a northern route (Canada/New England) in the winter months or an Alaskan one where the temps are well below 50, you might get some relief. However, in those cases the cabin is likely not too warm nor would someone want to prop their door open for "coolness".

Propping the door open is the reason cruise ships have so much trouble with the HVAC systems. The reasons are numerous and discussed at length in dozens of similar thread s (surprisingly there hasn't been in a few weeks). As others have said, there's a sign posted stating to keep the door closed.

So, in summary answer to the OP's question... don't prop open the door to try dealing with a too-hot cabin. It won't solve the problem and is certain to prolong/expound the problem.

Hopefully that wasn't too dramatic.

We had an issue. Advised the desk and they took room temperatures 3 times a day. After day 3, they told us it would not drop any further and they compensated us with a $250 OBC. Room was a little warm but manageable. We had an OV.

I sailed on the Freedom last year mid July, and our cabin (I side, deck 7) was warm. Not so bad to make me complain, but warm enough to be slightly uncomfortable at times. It wasn't continuously warm though. I'm on the Valor in about 2 weeks, and this time I have a fan just in case.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

Actually, its both.

Its the solution to his problem... its most likely the CAUSE of the problem (other people doing the exact same thing) and it will CAUSE the problem for a whole lot of other folks that are in the same group

Last time I sailed (about 5 yrs) people were propping doors because of chance of being locked out on balcony.

thus causing their neighbors to call guest services and telling them that their cabins were too warm

Propping the door open makes the AC problem worse. I wish people wouldn't do that and effect the other rooms. Maybe the cruise line should consider a small explanation on why the doors being propped open causes problems with the AC system.

YES! we didn't have that on the Miracle last Feb. We called for svc and that's when the maintenance person explained it to us.

Thought they had them on all the ships. This was on Vista and I remember them (although maybe a little different but basically saying the same thing) on Conquest, Valor, Liberty, and Glory. Maybe someone got mad or didn't want to see it and ripped yours off LOL!

Thought they had them on all the ships. This was on Vista and I remember them (although maybe a little different but basically saying the same thing) on Conquest, Valor, Liberty, and Glory. Maybe someone got mad or didn't want to see it and ripped yours off LOL!

Perhaps... Lol. We understood it once the gal explained it us. We promptly educated the rest of party who we saw at dinner because we were ALL trying to find a way to prop the door thinking it would "help". Little did we know.......

To prevent being locked out of cabin when on the balcony put a shoe in the door, it's propped open yes but only a

couple of inches. All the balcony doors I've had had a lock at the upper part of the door. It has to been slid into position to lock the door, not sure how one gets locked out. But yes propping the doors open are most likely the reason for the AC problem.