First NCL cruise, questions about Drinks/Specialty Dining packages

zdub86

Hello. I am about to book my first NCL cruise for November 2017 and have a few questions about these promo deals they are offering. Of the ones being offered, I think I will choose the Ultimate Beverage Package and the 'Free' Specialty Dining package. A few questions...

I pay the 18% gratuity BEFORE my cruise, is that correct?

I know there's a price limit per drink set at $15/per, but is there any kind of drink limit per day (alcohol)? I know Carnival has a drink limit per day per guest, so I was wondering if NCL also has that.

Also, the specialty dining package says I get three free meals, but some of the restaurants still charge an upcharge, why is that? So if I wanted the sushi bar, I must pay $7 per person to get in, but then we can eat more than $7 worth for no extra charge, is this correct?

The three 'free' main courses being offered are only available at Cagney's Steakhouse and Le Bistro, correct?

I am also confused by this last statement... "There is no minimum or maximum to the number of meals that can be redeemed in a day, however each meal is counted towards the package."

So for example, I can eat at Cagney's one night, Le Bistro one night, and the sushi bar one night and then my specialty dining ends? Anything after that I have to pay out of pocket right?

Thanks in advance for any information!!

You pay the gratuity before your cruise. However, if you are in port in the US, they will add tax to your drink to your bill. So your first drink or two may get taxed.

There is no limit per day, but they do stop serving the over served. If you know what i mean.

We have not eaten sushi on board and have used the traditional restaurants. I think Food Republic serves sushi, and you may have to just pay a la cart. The up-charge restaurants we end up going to are Teppanyaki (super fun), Moderno, and Cagneys. Bayamo and Le bistro were so-so. I believe you can also use it in La Cucina, but we have yet to try that one.

quote=zdub86;53289276]Hello. I am about to book my first NCL cruise for November 2017 and have a few questions about these promo deals they are offering. Of the ones being offered, I think I will choose the Ultimate Beverage Package and the 'Free' Specialty Dining package. A few questions...

I pay the 18% gratuity BEFORE my cruise, is that correct?

I know there's a price limit per drink set at $15/per, but is there any kind of drink limit per day (alcohol)? I know Carnival has a drink limit per day per guest, so I was wondering if NCL also has that.

Also, the specialty dining package says I get three free meals, but some of the restaurants still charge an upcharge, why is that? So if I wanted the sushi bar, I must pay $7 per person to get in, but then we can eat more than $7 worth for no extra charge, is this correct?

The three 'free' main courses being offered are only available at Cagney's Steakhouse and Le Bistro, correct?

I am also confused by this last statement... "There is no minimum or maximum to the number of meals that can be redeemed in a day, however each meal is counted towards the package."

So for example, I can eat at Cagney's one night, Le Bistro one night, and the sushi bar one night and then my specialty dining ends? Anything after that I have to pay out of pocket right?

Thanks in advance for any information!!

This is because some ships have specialty restaurants that are open for lunch.The package is a set number of meals, not days or nights. You can use 2 meals in one day and it counts as 2 of the 3.

Moderno, Teppanyaki and La Cucina are also fully included in the package. Moderno and Teppanyaki are a set menu for one set price. Moderno is all you can eat. Cagney's, Le Bistro and La Cucina are a la carte. You can only order one entreè, but you can order all the starters or desserts that you want. Some servers will insist that you only get one of each, but that isn't true. They're your credits, and you can do with them what you like, but the sushi bar is a waste of a credit. It's cheap. So, especially given that you also pay an up charge you'd never get your money's worth from the credit. Unless, of course, none of the other restaurants appeal to you at all.

Thanks for the info. So how many "credits" will I have exactly? Is it one entree per person? It will be my wife and I. And will the ship keep track of how many credits I have available? Seems like I'm making this more difficult than it actually is. I am sorry for that.

Thanks for the info. So how many "credits" will I have exactly? Is it one entree per person? It will be my wife and I. And will the ship keep track of how many credits I have available? Seems like I'm making this more difficult than it actually is. I am sorry for that.
For most cruises, it's 3 meals each for guests 1 & 2 in the stateroom.

Yes, they know how many meals you have left. Certain restaurants are 1 credit plus a minimal up-charge. Some restaurants do not accept the SDP and are a la carte only.

Each credit is for 1 entree but apps, sides, desserts, etc. aren't limited (for now). Things may change.

It's not difficult.

You are correct once your 3 meals (or whatever package you received) are consumed, it is out of pocket, some are an additional $20.00 per person, some $60. At the steakhouse and at the Italian restaurant there were even upgrades to the upgrade for the lobster, or for the extra large porterhouse steak.

It was our experience, as we too got the free upgraded dining package, that the only meals really worth eating were those specialty dining options. We were very disappointed with the meal services included with the cruise, we tried main dining room ONCE, felt like we were at a badly catered wedding... slow service, bland food, options during an 11 night cruise never changed in the main dining room, same menu entire cruise. The buffet times are pretty short so the full spread is maybe only available for 1.5 hours then 1/2 of it disappears, and of course it is the good half.

I will say though, we really enjoyed the specialty dining options, had sushi 3 times, french twice, steakhouse twice, italian twice, and main dining room and buffet each once. If we cruise Norwegian again, we hope for the same free upgrade and then we will be adding dining package as well. I do have to say that for me it was pretty obvious that NCL is focussing on the specialty upgrades, not the base food service.

Wow the main dining rooms were that bad?? Perhaps I should research that some more, since this will be my first NCL cruise. It will be a 7 night cruise, and would be a shame if it's the same menu every night. I'm sure we will do at least the steakhouse and the italian, maybe even the french one night. And we both love sushi.

Side question: Carnival offers menus on their website for the specialty restaurants. I noticed the NCL website does not list the menus, or I could not find them anywhere. Does anyone know if there are menus out there somewhere? It's the Norwegian Pearl.

Wow the main dining rooms were that bad?? Perhaps I should research that some more, since this will be my first NCL cruise. It will be a 7 night cruise, and would be a shame if it's the same menu every night. I'm sure we will do at least the steakhouse and the italian, maybe even the french one night. And we both love sushi.

Side question: Carnival offers menus on their website for the specialty restaurants. I noticed the NCL website does not list the menus, or I could not find them anywhere. Does anyone know if there are menus out there somewhere? It's the Norwegian Pearl.

That poster said they only tried the MDR one night out of eleven so I don't think they got enough experience there to make a real judgement. I find the MDR's to be just fine. Also, the menus do change for dinner each night. On one side of the menu they have the standard daily fare and then on the other side they have specials for that day.

As far as the specialty menus go, just do a Google search and you'll find a bunch.

I have to disagree with the PP regarding the main dining room - we ate in the MDR several times during our recent Gem cruise and the food was fine. It wasn't anything over the top but I certainly didn't have trouble finding something to eat. And the menus varied each night - there are a number of always available dishes - steak, chicken, salmon and pasta as I recall and then another section which changes.

At the specialties, our favorite is LeBistro, the french restaurant - their filet is better than the one in Cagney's IMHO...and their scallops are right tasty too! The escargots and mushroom soup are what we always get for appetizers.

Do a search on these boards and you should be able to find menus for all the specialties...seems like someone recently did a primer on the SDP that tells you all about the program and included menus.

Have a great cruise!

You are correct once your 3 meals (or whatever package you received) are consumed, it is out of pocket, some are an additional $20.00 per person, some $60. At the steakhouse and at the Italian restaurant there were even upgrades to the upgrade for the lobster, or for the extra large porterhouse steak.

<snip>

Which restaurant was an additional $60 per person?

That poster said they only tried the MDR one night out of eleven so I don't think they got enough experience there to make a real judgement. I find the MDR's to be just fine. Also, the menus do change for dinner each night. On one side of the menu they have the standard daily fare and then on the other side they have specials for that day.

As far as the specialty menus go, just do a Google search and you'll find a bunch.

Thank you!

options during an 11 night cruise never changed in the main dining room, same menu entire cruise.

Occasionally this gets posted on here (a couple of times a year I suppose).

I can think of a couple of possible reasons for it. Either there is the occasional cruise where something goes wrong with the food options and thy do indeed have the same menu all week in the MDRs, or the poster has got confused, maybe by just looking at the "always available" section of the menu, and has wrongly concluded that this is the case.

In all of my NCL cruises, the majority of the items on the menu change every day. This is in line with the vast majority of the reports on these boards and elsewhere.

I would just suggest to readers to take this report with a huge pinch of salt. If the poster wasn't mistaken then it seems that their cruise had some specific issues which are unlikely to be encountered on any other cruise.

Wow the main dining rooms were that bad??

This is definitely a personal preference thing. We just got back on Breakaway. We ate in the main dining rooms 3 nights -- 1 was okay and the other 2 were bad. However, the specialty dining restaurants were really good. The only way I'd ever go on Norwegian again is if we get the specialty dining for every night.

Back to the specialty dining package. Example (correct me if I am wrong): Wife and I could use one of our credits at Teppanyaki and not have to worry about paying the $30/person charge?

The fine print only mentions being able to use it at Cagney's and Le Bistro, and then the other places that include an upcharge. Nothing in the fine print mentions anything about Teppanyaki or Moderno or La Cucina...

Back to the specialty dining package. Example (correct me if I am wrong): Wife and I could use one of our credits at Teppanyaki and not have to worry about paying the $30/person charge?

The fine print only mentions being able to use it at Cagney's and Le Bistro, and then the other places that include an upcharge. Nothing in the fine print mentions anything about Teppanyaki or Moderno or La Cucina...

Yes you can.

The references to Cagney and Le Bistro are, from memory, when it's talking about restaurants where there is a restriction to one entree. It isn't listing the places where the package can be used. It's typically badly written.

The SDP applies in Cagneys, Le Bistro, La Cucina, Teppenyaki and Moderno at no extra charge (subject to just one entree).

Yes you can.

The references to Cagney and Le Bistro are, from memory, when it's talking about restaurants where there is a restriction to one entree. It isn't listing the places where the package can be used. It's typically badly written.

The SDP applies in Cagneys, Le Bistro, La Cucina, Teppenyaki and Moderno at no extra charge (subject to just one entree).

Perfect. Thank you!

Yes you can.

If you pick an entree that says it's an additional charge versus the others, you are just charged the extra amount correct?

If you pick an entree that says it's an additional charge versus the others, you are just charged the extra amount correct?

Sorry, but I haven't looked at this for a while, and my memory may be wrong, but I don't think there are any specific entrees that are an additional charge with the SDP (there are such dishes with the latitudes meals).

The additional entree charges with the SDP apply if you order two entrees. In that case I imagine you pay for the cheaper one.

Sorry, but I haven't looked at this for a while, and my memory may be wrong, but I don't think there are any specific entrees that are an additional charge with the SDP (there are such dishes with the latitudes meals).

The additional entree charges with the SDP apply if you order two entrees. In that case I imagine you pay for the cheaper one.

Maybe the the menus I got links to are older ones. I saw le Bistro and I believe Cagneys both that has about 3 dishes that said were 10PP above the cover charge. The big steak, lobster or some other sea food...

Maybe the the menus I got links to are older ones. I saw le Bistro and I believe Cagneys both that has about 3 dishes that said were 10PP above the cover charge. The big steak, lobster or some other sea food...

I think they are old ones. Lobster isn't on the menu at all now. I'm sure someone will be able to confirm re the large steak, but my understanding is that it is covered fully by the SDP.

It is often quoted as an example of how good value the SDP is.

I think they are old ones. Lobster isn't on the menu at all now. I'm sure someone will be able to confirm re the large steak, but my understanding is that it is covered fully by the SDP.

It is often quoted as an example of how good value the SDP is.

I had heard that somewhere else about lobster. Which sucks... is not even in soups or pasta or apps?

It was our experience, as we too got the free upgraded dining package, that the only meals really worth eating were those specialty dining options. We were very disappointed with the meal services included with the cruise, we tried main dining room ONCE, felt like we were at a badly catered wedding... slow service, bland food, options during an 11 night cruise never changed in the main dining room, same menu entire cruise. The buffet times are pretty short so the full spread is maybe only available for 1.5 hours then 1/2 of it disappears, and of course it is the good half.

I will say though, we really enjoyed the specialty dining options, had sushi 3 times, french twice, steakhouse twice, italian twice, and main dining room and buffet each once. If we cruise Norwegian again, we hope for the same free upgrade and then we will be adding dining package as well. I do have to say that for me it was pretty obvious that NCL is focussing on the specialty upgrades, not the base food service.

I should clarify that we were on the Sun not the Pearl, and our MDR menu was exactly the same dinner menu all 11 nights, even the specials listed on the side, we inquired about it and it was the first of a new offering and I was told they were transitioning the menu. We did try MDR a few times for lunch and breakfast, and the MDR high tea and brunch was lovely.;)