Will there be time to make 26 Glacier Cruise in Whittier?

JanetAlice

We are training it from Anchorage to Whittier on the 9:45 train. If the weather is good we would like to try one of the Phillips cruises out of Whittier before boarding the Coral Princess. I have a couple of questions that I hope one of the many Alaska experts on this board can answer.

1) This is NOT a Princess transfer but I was wondering if there is someone from Princess at the train to get our luggage.

2) I have heard to everything is close together in Whittier and the vendor says there wouldn't be a problem making the 12:30 tour. True?

3) If for some reason we can't get on the tour, there is a shorter tour a 1:00. Is this shorter tour worth the expense?

thank you.

You won't have problems making the tour. They advertise the tour to people in Anchorage and they book the same train that you will be on. Whittier is very small.

Hopefully someone will pipe in about the luggage. I thought someone mentioned if you put the tags on, the luggage will be transferred to the ship.

For the Anc-Seward trip, the AKRR staff said to tell the baggage handlers at the Anc depot to use luggage tags for Holland America. The bags were then put on a truck and magically appeared in the HAL cabin that afternoon. Call to see if they do the same for your ship on the Anc-Whittier leg.

The day cruises in Whittier and Seward are timed to coincide with the trains arrival, so i wouldnt worry about it. The train brings the majority of their customers.

We are training it from Anchorage to Whittier on the 9:45 train. If the weather is good we would like to try one of the Phillips cruises out of Whittier before boarding the Coral Princess. I have a couple of questions that I hope one of the many Alaska experts on this board can answer.

1) This is NOT a Princess transfer but I was wondering if there is someone from Princess at the train to get our luggage.

2) I have heard to everything is close together in Whittier and the vendor says there wouldn't be a problem making the 12:30 tour. True?

3) If for some reason we can't get on the tour, there is a shorter tour a 1:00. Is this shorter tour worth the expense?

thank you.

No problem taking the train to Whittier and connecting with the 26 Glacier tour that starts at 12:30 pm. You will need to make reservations and the tour doesn't leave until after the train arrives - since there will be others on the train with you. It is a short walk to their office (you can see it from the train), check in is quick and easy and you will be on your way soon after you arrive!

Regarding the luggage. When you arrive at the RR depot in Anchorage look for the white tent (or ask where to check your bags) Put your Princess cruise tags on your bags and give them to the porters. From there they will be transported directly to the ship for you. You won't see them again until after you board and they are delivered straight to your cabin.

So, just pack a day bag for the Phillips cruise and enjoy!

Thanks everyone. I knew I would find the answers here. I am not going to book ahead of time because we won't go if the weather is poor. I know I run the risk of the boat being sold out.

I doubt there will be space on a walk up basis but I guess you can try.

The boat is completely enclosed and even part of the outside deck has a partial roof/overhang for protection if it rains. The weather can change quickly so I'm not sure you will know how the day will turn out.....

The trip is really outstanding and probably worth going - no matter the weather but I guess it depends on what you consider "poor".

thank you.

We were on a land vacation so I can't tell you about the ship, but I can tell you that last year we took the 9:45 train and had no trouble making the 12:30 tour. Just make sure that you allow enough time to get back to the ship before sailing.

Thanks everyone. I knew I would find the answers here. I am not going to book ahead of time because we won't go if the weather is poor. I know I run the risk of the boat being sold out.

Even if the weather is "poor" it is a great trip. You will get up close to at least three or four glaciers. Don't let the weather stop you. We went last year in the rain and fog and would not hesitate t do it again in the same weather conditions.

I've done the glacier cruise from Whittier many times, and the weather has always been cloudy and drizzling. Don't let that deter you. The glacier cruise is smooth sailing ( much better if you get seasick than the Kenai Fjords trip from Seward ) and often much better weather once you get away from Whittier.

You can read the story of cloudy Whittier and the long tunnels here:

http://www.princess.com/cruise-tips-vacation-ideas/cruise-destinations/alaska-vacations/how-whittier-alaska-won-world-war-ii.html

The 26 Glacier office is right next to the Princess pier so I wouldn't worry about missing the ship.

Your tour will be back about 5:30 and the ship does sail until 8:30 :) It was a wonderful way to spend the afternoon before boarding the ship!