Cruise to the Baltic - June 2018

jinteso

I am about to book a cruise to the Baltic next summer. I was going to book with NCL (Haven room). But I was reading a lot about MSC on the NCL board and decided to look into them. I actually prefer the MSC itinerary and price! However I do have some questions.

1. How is this cruise line for Americans? Language issues? Treatment?

2. Was looking to get a balcony room with the Aurea experience. What exactly does the Aurea experience entitle you to and is it worth it? I wanted to book a suite but they are sold out.

3. Is there any list of drinks that is included because it looks like they have about 4 different all inclusive drink packages (Classic, Premium etc.) and I am confused.

Any help or other thoughts would be welcome!

On the MSC website as you're booking your room, after you select your experience, in this case Aurea, there is a chart/grid that explains what comes with what experience.

After you've found that you'll be able to get the exact name of the drink package that's included with Aurea and you can reference the list of packages that you've already found and figure out what general drinks are included (e.g. types of drinks, not brand names). I don't think MSC has anything on their site with more specific info than that.

Take a look at the following. It gives the bar menus for a European cruise:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2510217

The drinks package (for European sailings) included in Aurea is known as All-Inclusive Restaurant & Bar drinks package. It covers everything on the drinks list except items marked with a red asterisk (the "Deluxe" package includes these items - formerly known as "Premium" package).

Language is not an issue - most of the crew speak some English. It's how they communicate with each other.

As for treatment; as long as you're not expecting servers to fawn all over you, you'll find that you're 'treated' very well, indeed. They will not be in your face - you need to get their attention if you want to order, say, a drink, for example. They take their lead from you. If you're open and friendly with them, they will reciprocate. If you're not, they'll assume you don't want any interaction and will treat you accordingly. It's not rudeness on their part - they're respecting your space.

Here's what Aurea includes:

DESIGNED TO OFFER REINVIGORATING, ALL-INCLUSIVE COMFORT

Put wellbeing, pampering and peace of mind at the heart of your cruise. In addition to all the features of “Bella” and “Fantastica”, our “Aurea” fares offer a series of relaxing benefits for body and soul.

Embark smoothly with priority boarding then relax in an elegant cabin where you’ll find a set of free wellbeing products as well as a complimentary dressing gown and slippers.

Dine at the time of your choice in a reserved area of the restaurant, enjoying all-inclusive unlimited drinks*.

Bask in the exclusivity of a private sun deck.

Best of all, take advantage of a fantastic spa package including a spa welcome cocktail, one massage of your choice from the spa menu, tanning shower, private wellness consultation and unrestricted use of the Thermal Area throughout your cruise (available only for adults).

Set sail for pure relaxation.

*The drinks package refers to Allegrissimo or More For Less, depending on destination. (*Starting from summer 2017, these package will be renamed All-Inclusive Restaurant & Bar Drink Package and All-Inclusive Classic Drink Package)