Formal Night Questions

I know there are other threads that cover this but i really can't find a positive answer. I am sailing on the Harmony OTS for a 8 night cruise which means 2 of them are formal nights, on the website it says jackets, etc. Very dressy but the website and some threads/ others ex yahoo answers say that it is mandatory but then others on here say it is more of suggestion and you are not forced as we do not want to get that dressed, we will be neat but not Jackets and ties dressed. Some say that you will not be allowed into the main dining room then others say the staff doesn't really mind but I would like to know do we really have to get dressed up or that night we could just eat somewhere else if the dining room is formal only

We were on Oasis last January. First formal night late seating, 8:30 assigned seating we were at a table for 8. Every one was dressed in jackets ties and the the women were equally well dressed. At the 4 top table next to us were two nicely dressed women and both men were in shorts and t shirts. Seems anything goes, especially in the Caribbean and Mexico. You may find a slightly different demographic on the 8 night sailing. happy cruising

Bob is 100% correct in his answer above (Bob gives the best advice). Wear what makes you comfortable (within the bounds of decency). We always get dressed on formal night so that we can have great photos (taken around the ship)......numerous photo stations are set up!

Dress suggestions are not enforced, you can wear whatever you want.

Except I think shorts are still a no-no anytime for evening MDR. OK for breakfast or lunch, but not for dinner. OK anytime including dinner for the buffet. Don't rule out the buffet -- it is very good at night.

Except I think shorts are still a no-no anytime for evening MDR. OK for breakfast or lunch, but not for dinner. OK anytime including dinner for the buffet. Don't rule out the buffet -- it is very good at night.

People in shorts are rarely, if ever, turned away from the MDR these days.

People in shorts are rarely, if ever, turned away from the MDR these days.

I can confirm that was the case on our cruise on Freedom last week.

I spoke to the maitre d in MTD deck 5 and he said if people wear shorts they cannot stop them.

Incidentally there is a plaque on the wall at MTD reception stating dress requirements clearly saying no shorts in dining room.

I was on the May 28th sailing of the Allure and formal night was not that formal, saw everything from men wearing jeans to woman dressed to the 9s.

Likewise plus most men wore trainers not shoes on Freedom last week.

Very few men wore suits but it was very warm.

I saw very few people with tuxes or suits on our last cruise (May- Caribbean). Most of the men had dress shirt and tie on formal nights. I did not see many in jackets. Women wore dresses or pants. The one person I saw in a tux was an older gentleman. He commented on those "Texas boys" not getting dressed up. I am not sure if our cruise was typical or more lax because: 1. it was May- less crowded, 2. It was from Texas (apparently they do not like to get dressed up there according to the elevator man) or 3. It was Caribbean. That said, I think you would be okay as long as you are nicely dressed. DH opted for the shirt and tie because he had to pack some shirts anyway and a dress shirt and tie takes up the same amount room as a polo. I would not wear jeans or shorts on formal night. I don't really know that I saw many wearing shorts on any night- definitely not formal night