Question on Booking from Someone Who Has Never Cruised Before

Melipope

We are thinking of doing a cruise on Carnival this winter. It will be my husband and I, and our three children. We want two rooms (not too far apart). Do you recommend using a travel agent (cruise only no hotel or flight needed), or booking directly. If you book directly, is there any advantage to calling Carnival or just do everything online?

Thank you!

Nervous & Excited!

I've never saw a point in a travel agent past the 1990s. Some people on here swear by them but I have never found one that can do anything exciting. Maybe $50 OBC or something like that but I'd rather them keep the $50 and I do things myself. If you use a TA then they own your booking and you have to go through them for everything. Carnival can't talk to you. If you book directly you will get a PVP that can can help you out tremendously. You don't need nobody to "do something on your behalf" if you know how to email or use a phone. You can contact your PVP with any needs you have and they can help.

I am a firm believe in using either a PVP (Personal Vacation Planner) through Carnival OR a knowledgeable TA. PVP are not the kind folks that answer the 1-800#. And TA needs to know their stuff.

Why go it alone when there is help out there? The PVP or TA will help you find the rates you qualify. They will also see more rooms than are shown on the web site. And while no one ever plans on anything wrong happening, if it does, they will be there to help.

We are thinking of doing a cruise on Carnival this winter. It will be my husband and I, and our three children. We want two rooms (not too far apart). Do you recommend using a travel agent (cruise only no hotel or flight needed), or booking directly. If you book directly, is there any advantage to calling Carnival or just do everything online?

Thank you!

Nervous & Excited!

Use a PVP!! In fact, use Josh Waitzman, extension 82990. He is a former Cruise Director turned PVP and has more insight into all the ships and ports than anyone! Call him when you are ready to book your cruise...you won't regret using Josh!

I've never saw a point in a travel agent past the 1990s. Some people on here swear by them but I have never found one that can do anything exciting. Maybe $50 OBC or something like that but I'd rather them keep the $50 and I do things myself. If you use a TA then they own your booking and you have to go through them for everything. Carnival can't talk to you. If you book directly you will get a PVP that can can help you out tremendously. You don't need nobody to "do something on your behalf" if you know how to email or use a phone. You can contact your PVP with any needs you have and they can help.

I feel so dumb, but what is a PVP?

Have never used anyone but myself in 15 years of cruising, do it for family and friends as well. It is not hard, spend some time reading these forums and writing down your questions. Then search for your answers here, if you need to call Carnival to ask a question you can call but most answers are probably here. Read and research, you should be fine.

PVP = Personal Vacation Planner

I feel so dumb, but what is a PVP?

An agent that works for Carnival. NOT one of the reps that answer the 800# when you call. Someone who works 1 on 1 with you at Carnival to help you with anything you need. Think of a travel agent who is exclusive for Carnival.

Most answers you get here will tell you to do it yourself or use a PVP instead of a travel agent. That is mainly because most people here are the ones who want to find out their own answers and deal with their own bookings. That is absolutely fine, but there are still a lot of people who find value in travel agents.

They can't always give you any extra perks or discounts, but they do give you service, advice, and help if anything goes wrong. Most travel agents don't charge a fee for booking with them, so you are paying the same price but getting an expert's help. I would recommend finding a good cruise only travel agency, because they do this all day every day. The most prolific cruiser may have booked themselves 50 cruises, but a travel agent can book 50 cruises or more in a few months

It's funny someone mentioned that you don't need a travel agent if you know how to call and email, but that's exactly the same way you would contact a travel agent. You call them and ask them to do something for you and they get it done. The only advantage to booking by yourself is if you want to make a change at 3:00 AM and your travel agent is not in the office.

Ive had very good travel agents (past) and a couple who actually knew less than I did.

I've often wondered what it would be like to engage with a Carnival PVP - when my H travels with me we require a fully accessible cabin (he's a quadriplegic and uses an electric wheelchair). At thouse times a good TA or PVP is worth their weight in gold.

I think it depends on how much research you interested in doing. If you like doing the research yourself, you don't need a TA *or* a PVP. Personally, I love researching the heck out of my vacations, so there is absolutely nothing at all that a PVP can do for me that I can't do myself online or with a simple call to Carnival customer service. But if you don't have interest in research or don't have the time, getting a PVP will probably be the best way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

:D With over 45 cruises with Carnival and 5 other cruises with others lines I always book directly with Carnival. I cut out the middle man and always get the answer from the sauce no middle man. I never hesitate to call Carnival with the smallest of questions and they are always willing to provide the answers. One warning you must HEED above all. After your first cruise you will become one of us and all you will think about is your next cruise.:eek::*

If your kids are minors and you plan to book them in one room and the parents in another I believe you must call Carnival directly to set the rooms up. Otherwise if booking on line you have to book a parent in each room. That could have its advantages too if only one of you is a drinker and would take advantage of Cheers. If you book this way you will just have to go to guest services upon boarding and get extra keys

I have always called Carnival directly any time I wanted to book and had zero issues putting my boys in an inside and us in a balcony across the hall. We still get spare keys upon boarding.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you all for your input! We are traveling with 3 minors and plan to put them in one room (the oldest will almost be 18) with us no more than a few rooms away. We are also traveling with two of my sister's-in-law and one brother-in-law who may be sharing a room as well. I think I will call a PVP, especially if they may have access to rooms I don't see when trying to book online.

Use a PVP!! In fact, use Josh Waitzman, extension 82990. He is a former Cruise Director turned PVP and has more insight into all the ships and ports than anyone! Call him when you are ready to book your cruise...you won't regret using Josh!

Just briefly spoke with him, and he's going to give me a call back. Thank you for the intel!

I just booked my 5th carnival cruise online butup until now I’ve used a Carnival PVP. Now that I feel “experienced” in knowingwhere I want to be on the ship I felt confident enough to book myself. I wouldnot suggest doing this for your first few cruises. Call a PVP.

FYI it's against guidelines to name people or how to contact them.

I had a PVP who quit and went with another firm. I booked with him and then when final payment wasn't made he was off the face of the earth. I called CCL and they couldn't help. Finally a supervisor put me in touch with his parent company who fixed things. Never again.