Chinese food?

Kingofcool1947

Yes, the millennium has a sushi restaurant on deck 5.....but if you want good sushi, wait until you get to japan and just go ashore and order it at a restaurant. Most restaurants either have an english menu or someone speaks english. If all else fails, just order sushi A or Sushi B and you will get a combination of sushi.

The sushi served on board uses unflavored rice for their all of their sushi.....real sushi, the one you will get in Japan, uses rice flavored with vinegar and sugar or more often/traditionally Mirin which is sweet sake. You will also find that the sushi you get in japan costs less than they charge on the Celebrity ships....and the choice of fish on the ship is very limited. They try to mask the limitations by making fancy rolls instead of just fish on rice which is the traditional sushi.

As far as chinese.....very similar. The chinese on the ship is americanized chinese food and very limited. Chinese food served in China is very different....with far less gloppy sauces...just great flavor. Get your chinese food fix when you go ashore.

I have never seen dim sum offered....oh they may offer one type of dumpling, but never a choice like you would get in a chinese restaurant at home. There are some wonderful dim sum restaurants in Hong Kong (and obviously other chinese cities) where they wheel around plates/steamers with choices and you look to see what you want. That never happens on a Celebrity ship.

The only cruises ship that may have decent Chinese food are the ships that ply Asia catering to a savvy clientele. I've heard on here that Tamarind on newer HAL ships is nice but I've never ben on a HAL ship that has Tamarind.

The "Chinese" food on cruise ships (HAL, Princess) that I've had otherwise was pitiable. The only good Chinese-style food I had on any cruise boat of any sort was on some tiny tub called the RV Yandabo plying the Irrawaddy.

If you're on the Millennium sailing on 8 Sept. (I am), just eat all you want in Vancouver and wait until you get to somewhere that has good food on the other side! The food sounds pretty dreadful on board but the fare's low enough!

Just got off the Millennium, and there was A Chinese section at the buffet that was open at all 3 meals.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for the info, we will be on Millie in a few weeks...

bon voyage