Riveira Deck 10 v Deck 11

MikeLikesBoats

This thread has me worried. We just booked and the Oceania rep. recommended we take a room on Deck 11, even though the Veranda Concierge lounge is 3 decks below. She did not say anything about issues with the overhang, or noise. We will be in 11042, which is mid-ship. Is the noise and overhang in this area annoying enough to move down a deck or two?

Hi there MIAC, I'm honestly not sure that they're as aware of the nuances of the ship as the folks on this forum are... my agent swore there was no deck 11 overhang while I was looking at photos both of the ship from the side and from inside the rooms as posted on this and other threads. He didn't seem to have any sense of noise issues, either, -- farther back under the Terrace, that is -- pointing out that they wouldn't put their PH folks on a noisy level... but he spoke on a very academic level, and plenty of folks on this forum have said that they experienced the noise and overhangs of course. Sounds like you have good advice from someone who was right there, though!

This thread has me worried. We just booked and the Oceania rep. recommended we take a room on Deck 11, even though the Veranda Concierge lounge is 3 decks below. She did not say anything about issues with the overhang, or noise. We will be in 11042, which is mid-ship. Is the noise and overhang in this area annoying enough to move down a deck or two?

pool.jpg

Let's remember that we are speaking about noise on a pool deck populated by forty somethings and up, where music is seldom played....

oceania_riviera_6.jpg

The pool boys realigning the chairs each morning is what some people object to.

b_031705.jpg

The overhang is another matter, but so many people prefer a shaded veranda in this melanoma fearing culture, that you MAY see it as more of a blessing than a curse.

The type of person who wakes easily and cant get back to sleep, or who wants to acquire a tan on their veranda won't be happy on Deck 11, others will be fine.

pool.jpg

Let's remember that we are speaking about noise on a pool deck populated by forty somethings and up, where music is seldom played....

oceania_riviera_6.jpg

The pool boys realigning the chairs each morning is what some people object to.

b_031705.jpg

The overhang is another matter, but so many people prefer a shaded veranda in this melanoma fearing culture, that you MAY see it as more of a blessing than a curse.

The type of person who wakes easily and cant get back to sleep, or who wants to acquire a tan on their veranda won't be happy on Deck 11, others will be fine.

We had a PH suite on Riviera Deck 11 last year, and loved it.

However, we chose one that was under other suites closer to the front off the ship. Not surprisingly, we never heard the slightest noise.

DH needs to minimize direct sunshine for medical reasons (other than regular melanoma concerns), so we specifically selected the location due to the overhang.

We had read concerns that the overhang might interfere with the view, especially of any high peaks.

We didn't notice any impaired view, but then, we weren't taking a cruise into fjords...

And IF the ship was heading into the Trollfjord or such, then even Deck 10, or lower (?), might have a problem with the view, from that overhang a deck above.

[Okay, JimandStan, where are some breathtaking photos of Riviera in something similar to Trollfjord? And what itinerary do we need to get on to go there? ;) Thanks! ]

This thread is a good example that everyone has different needs and wants. What is desirable to one could be unwanted by another. One size does not fit all.

For me the overhang on deck 11 is a deal breaker. Personally I think those should be sold at a discount, not a premium, with their partially obstructed view.

I am not a "sun" person (though I try to be sunny) and seek out shade but that overhang eliminates a great pleasure for me sitting out on the balcony watching the clouds form and change over the horizon. There is a narrow unobstructed view between the railing and the overhang's outer edge. Also unable to take photographs when arriving or leaving ports. I can't dig out right now some rather sad shots of us leaving Valletta. Fortunately we have visited previously and I have some excellent pictures from that sailing but for new ports on that cruise we always had to run up on deck.

Others may very well choose this location knowing of the overhang. A great feature of being part of this CC community is sharing information and experiences.

• 1 year later...
"A " cabins are the same size as the B's on deck 7

some of the B cabins have extended balconies

Not sure what your question is really?

If you want the perks included with the Concierge cabins then go for it

some do not see the value in the higher price point

it is a personal choice when it comes right down to it

Pick what works best for you

JMO

Hi. I believe that there is a large overhang to the balconies on Deck 11, would you know if there is the same overhang on deck 10 I'm considering concierge class.

Hi. I believe that there is a large overhang to the balconies on Deck 11, would you know if there is the same overhang on deck 10 I'm considering concierge class.

Hello! We were very happy with our decision to go Deck 10, concierge class. The overhang was prominent as mentioned (for Deck 11), but not at all an issue from Deck 10. Noise level was also low. We very much enjoyed having access to the spa deck and pool during our days at sea... totally worth it in my opinion, though I know some don't value it as much.

Thanks again to those prior on this post who gave me advice also, and apologies that it took this prompting for me to say so! We have a lot going on but are definitely sold on more cruises for the future. :D

Oh, one other "pro tip" we picked up on (sadly) our last day... frequent Oceania guests told us that generally, if you go to the speciality restaurants around 9pm, they can seat you for a table. If we had it to do again, we'd show up at Jacques (the French restaurant) repeatedly.

Enjoy!

Edited by MikeLikesBoats

The overhang is from Deck 12

look at the photos Jim posted in #28