"Jump the ship" Question

holacanada

Hi fellow cruisers !

Has anyone ever left the ship to get to the next destination by plane, for example?

I have a sea day between Cadiz and Barcelona and I would prefer to go directly to Barcelona to enjoy a day more in the city. Will I be able to return on board after this expedition and continue my cruise ?

Holacanada from Quebec city

Hi fellow cruisers !

Has anyone ever left the ship to get to the next destination by plane, for example?

I have a sea day between Cadiz and Barcelona and I would prefer to go directly to Barcelona to enjoy a day more in the city. Will I be able to return on board after this expedition and continue my cruise ?

I believe you can, but would contact your TA and/or HAL to be sure and what communication you have to provide when you Jump Ship. Also I would consider traveling by train, as you might see more and the time might be about the same considering getting to airport, security etc. etc. and you will also need a hotel room for one night ????

Hi fellow cruisers !

Only if you let the ship (Front Office, or even now, ahead of time, via Seattle) know of your plans so they don't look for you in Cadiz, notify the local authorities, and list you as missing the ship

Following Copper's advice and informing the front desk, we also "jumped ship" during a two day stop Papeete, Tahiti and immediately took the ferry to Moorea for an overnight away from the ship.

So we were not on board when the ship left Papeete to later arrive in Moorea the following day. The fun part was seeing the arriving later Amsterdam cruising by, off the balcony of our over-the-water bungalow at the Moorea Pearl Resort. Nice way to break-up a long 50 day cruise on the Tales of the South Pacific.

Shore excursions had also arranged a similar overnight in Moorea at the Hilton - so that group officially left the ship in Papeete and picked it up later in Moorea.

Sounds like a great idea!!

Just get everything in writing from HAL and take it with you. Give a copy to the front desk.

Exactly. Ask your TA for a deviation letter detailing the debarkation and the embarcation. The TA will send it to the appropriate Seattle office. The office will confirm that it is legal, and then email an authorization letter back to the TA. Take two copies with you, and give one to the front office when you board the ship. HAL will warn you the ship does not always make every port, and it is at your expense to catch up. Also, they will not credit any days that you are not on board.

[beginquote=holacanada;53415750]Hi fellow cruisers !

Holacanada from Quebec city[/endquote]

===

Ask your TA to get a deviation letter from HAL. Give a copy to the front desk when you get on the ship.

Peter

HAL will allow this, with loads of prior approval, as long as they can arrange for Spanish immigration and customs to accept you as a tourist for more than the usual 8 hour port call. They may impose a fee for this special service. Make sure you have everything in writing.

Hi fellow cruisers !

People do it all the time but you must get permission in advancd , IN WRITING (e -mail). YOU WILL no t receive any credit for days you are off the ship. If you get permission, be sure to verify with front t offic e once on the ship so they will arrange for there to be customs offic ials a the port to clear you. dciz is actually a nice port stop.

Just keep in mind there is always a small risk when "jumping ship." If for some unforeseen you ship were to miss its next port (where you had planned on catching up to your cruise) you are kind of left up the creek without a paddle (or cruise ship). While missing a port is rare, it does happen for a variety of reasons such as weather, labor strikes, mechanical problems with the ship, etc. We once missed a port in Norway because the port pilots went on an unscheduled strike. You can just never be sure.

Hank

We have done this on a number of occasions, with various cruise lines, sometimes debarking in one country and embarking again in another.

Two things to note---

1. HAL has to check with port/immigration regs for the country in question. Some(Canada for one) absolutely do not allow it.

2. There is always a tiny risk that the ship might be forced to change itinerary, due to weather, tender conditions, dock labor dispute, etc. Then, you're on your own. We always look at the following port, to see what the challenge would be if we had to "catch up" to the ship.