U.S. Passport Renewal Processing Time as of 6/29/17

Fathom5

We are cruising next February and my passport expires next June. I know they say we should renew six months before it expires but that would be in December. Do we really have to renew six months before expiration since I would already be back from my cruise in February and then send it off for renewal?

Any thoughts? Renew earlier or wait til we get back to renew? Thanks!

Cha-CHING!!!

We are cruising next February and my passport expires next June. I know they say we should renew six months before it expires but that would be in December. Do we really have to renew six months before expiration since I would already be back from my cruise in February and then send it off for renewal?

Cha-CHING!!!

It all depends on your destination and the requirements of the host country. If you are taking a Caribbean cruise, you'll be fine.

Cha-CHING!!!

Do it now. Just off RCI's Empress and they were requiring 6 months of time before expiration.

Cha-CHING!!!

Yes you need to do it. It's a government requirement not X. Figure that your passport is good for 120 months and you are wasting 4 months. That's 116 months for $110 . It's not costing you that much. If you were to have a problem health or otherwise while travelling and be delayed returning home the last thing you'd need would be an expired passport just to save a few dollars.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

It has been that way as far back as I can remember.

This was our first time for renewal so it was new to us. There is no where that it says that on the renewal form.

When I renew my drivers license or license for my vehicle it always expires on my birth date not from the day it was issued.

Yes. I know it is a difference between a state issue and a US government issue but you would think that it would be renewed by extending the expiration date 10 years.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞