What is 'By Invitation Only' on TA webiste?

CruiseGal999

I'm reading how a lot of people on CC seem to get great cruise deals through TAs. So I started looking at TA websites in Salt Lake City ... where I live .... and I came across one that has only literature on the website. No deal banners. No real pictures. NO cruise information. And then I see "By Invitation Only".

What is this?

Edited by CruiseGal999
spelling error

I would avoid. I've had websites that made you input an email to search and get prices but they all advertise deals on their homepage. This sounds like a situation where they will try and call you. May or may not be legit. Too many reputable sites to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm reading how a lot of people on CC seem to get great cruise deals through TAs. So I started looking at TA websites in Salt Lake City ... where I live .... and I came across one that has only literature on the website. No deal banners. No real pictures. NO cruise information. And then I see "By Invitation Only".

What is this?

Reputable TA's handle accounts across states. So the TA need not be in your city.

Reputable TA's handle accounts across states. So the TA need not be in your city.

Absolutely!! I live in Ohio but my TA is in Florida. Met her and her husband on a cruise a number of years ago and have used her ever since. She is ALWAYS available, returns information or answers questions immediately, finds the best deals and discounts and throws in some OBC for my business. Have two cruises booked through her this year and three next year and she is always giving me updates and checking for price drops. :)

Agree that a website should not require you to be registered to just browse cruise offerings and pricing. Also agree that there is no reason to look for TA websites just in Salt Lake City - the 2 large ones we use are in the US, and usually have hours that take different time zones into account..

However, some well-rated online sites do offer periodic special deals to customers who have signed up for their emails. One site that we use sends out periodic email notices of special sales coming up and requires you to pre-register in order to book on the day of the sale. In this case, the special prices are "By Invitation Only".

Agree that a website should not require you to be registered to just browse cruise offerings and pricing. Also agree that there is no reason to look for TA websites just in Salt Lake City - the 2 large ones we use are in the US, and usually have hours that take different time zones into account..

However, some well-rated online sites do offer periodic special deals to customers who have signed up for their emails. One site that we use sends out periodic email notices of special sales coming up and requires you to pre-register in order to book on the day of the sale. In this case, the special prices are "By Invitation Only".

That I get & understand. This site, to use their services, is by invitation only. I've just never seen anything like that before.

I know Carnival and I think RCCL do not allow TAs to sell their cruises for less than THEIR prices. Sometimes a TA will lower a price by giving you part of their commission, a bottle of wine or OBC but you are still paying the cruise line's price.

We have gotten offers of a 'free cruise' but it is not free- you still pay the taxes and port charges and can end up in a cabin below the water line!

We're not allowed to discuss individual TAs therefore there is no way to intelligently comment. I've never seen the phrase "by invitation only" There are auto clubs and warehouse clubs which only offer deals to their members, not the general public. Some of the legitimate sites only offer their deals to customers who share a valid email address. Occasionally the deal will only be shared via email. Cruise lines generally prohibit sites from publicly offering rates which are less then the lines posted rates. Group bookings being an exception. TA deals generally involve TA provided extras such as free insurance, extra on board credit, prepaid tips, drink plans and sometimes even a check or cash card after your cruise.

No reason doing business with anything that looks shady.

BBB was a great idea. I didn't think of it. The company has a B+ rating, but LOTS of complaints. From the sounds of the complaints .... it is a travel membership. Much like a timeshare, but there is no timeshare involved. You pay this company for a travel service membership. You have to pay the company $20 - $50 deposit on your membership. Then some people were told to pay $5K and some $10K for their membership. ???? Bottom line, when 'members' call to schedule vacations, nothing is available. They're told to make plans at least 1 year in advance. Or alternate, sub par property is offered. Co. opened in 2002. First BBB complaint was 5 months later. The complaints I could access on BBB went back to 2014.

*** is a private (by invitation only) travel and vacation services company that offers the benefits of exclusive access to pricing outsiders can’t access anywhere else.

It goes on and on .... but a bunch of double speak gibberish.

BBB was a great idea. I didn't think of it. The company has a B+ rating, but LOTS of complaints. From the sounds of the complaints .... it is a travel membership. Much like a timeshare, but there is no timeshare involved. You pay this company for a travel service membership. You have to pay the company $20 - $50 deposit on your membership. Then some people were told to pay $5K and some $10K for their membership. ???? Bottom line, when 'members' call to schedule vacations, nothing is available. They're told to make plans at least 1 year in advance. Or alternate, sub par property is offered. Co. opened in 2002. First BBB complaint was 5 months later. The complaints I could access on BBB went back to 2014.

*** is a private (by invitation only) travel and vacation services company that offers the benefits of exclusive access to pricing outsiders can’t access anywhere else.

It goes on and on .... but a bunch of double speak gibberish.

Sounds a lot like those "members only" home renovation project outfits. We got invited to a couple of "preview nights" when one opened near us. Did some research and info promptly went into recycle bin. A common thread was that most people found out (after the fact) that they could have done the same project through a "regular" home improvement store for less $$, time, and headache. Sounds like you are ready to take the advice of Pink Floyd and "Run...run...run...run...run".

Sounds a lot like those "members only" home renovation project outfits. We got invited to a couple of "preview nights" when one opened near us. Did some research and info promptly went into recycle bin. A common thread was that most people found out (after the fact) that they could have done the same project through a "regular" home improvement store for less $$, time, and headache. Sounds like you are ready to take the advice of Pink Floyd and "Run...run...run...run...run".

Yes. I never was really going to call them. If they give me the willies just in a website (which they did), NO way, no how I was going to pursue them. Too many legit agencies out there. I had just never heard of a TA with invite only. THAT right there did it for me.

I remember that membership advertising. Can't think of the name right now. BUT HOW does Costco/Sam's Club/BJs (YES, it's legit) become such HUGE successes?