Table for 6 or 8?

RemPuck

I booked passage on the 7 September NYC>Southampton crossing today and now need to pick my Britannia dinner table size. Late seating is fine for me but I don't know if a table for 6 or 8 makes more sense. This will be my first time as a solo traveler so it's the first time I've really needed to make this decision.

A table for 6 seems like it would be easier to chat will all other diners while a table for 8 seems may be too big if trying to talk to someone on the far side. Do people ever switch seats at the table so that they are sitting next to someone new? My first QM2 trip was with a group and we were at a table for 8 where we all knew each other. My second trip was my honeymoon in QG and we had a table for 2 (though we became quite friendly with our immediate neighbors).

Any insight, pros/cons, charming tales or horror stories appreciated!

Thanks - RemPuck

I usually travel solo and do like a large table. I always make a point of suggesting that we sit in a different seat each evening as you obviously talk to your immediate neighbours the most. However on my last longish voyage on QM2 I was at a round table of 6 solos and found that we had some very interesting dinner table chat as we could all join in. Hope this helps....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

These days we always choose a table for two, but when we did sit at larger tables, we avoided a table for six. This is for fear we would be with two couples travelling together and feeling excluded from the "remember when...." type conversations, which is exactly what happened to us on our very first cruise many years ago.

I booked passage on the 7 September NYC>Southampton crossing today and now need to pick my Britannia dinner table size. Late seating is fine for me but I don't know if a table for 6 or 8 makes more sense. This will be my first time as a solo traveler so it's the first time I've really needed to make this decision.

A table for 6 seems like it would be easier to chat will all other diners while a table for 8 seems may be too big if trying to talk to someone on the far side. Do people ever switch seats at the table so that they are sitting next to someone new? My first QM2 trip was with a group and we were at a table for 8 where we all knew each other. My second trip was my honeymoon in QG and we had a table for 2 (though we became quite friendly with our immediate neighbors).

Any insight, pros/cons, charming tales or horror stories appreciated!

Thanks - RemPuck

I travel solo and always pick a table of 8. That way mostly you get a mix of people. We have always moved round during the cruise. I still hear from many of the people I have sat with.

On my first TA I had a table for 6. The first night one couple didn't even sit down when the wife said, "My husband and I usually dine by ourselves". (I didn't even have a chance to offend or bore them.) Couple #2 came only for dinner and only very late. The solo gentleman had so mobility problems and ordered room service when the ship was rocking.

Since then I request a table for 8 that gives more "insurance" against being left to dine alone.

On my first TA I had a table for 6. The first night one couple didn't even sit down when the wife said, "My husband and I usually dine by ourselves". (I didn't even have a chance to offend or bore them.) Couple #2 came only for dinner and only very late. The solo gentleman had so mobility problems and ordered room service when the ship was rocking.

Since then I request a table for 8 that gives more "insurance" against being left to dine alone.

For the same reason we have requested a table for eight for our next trip. A few years ago we had a table for six and one of the couples assigned to that table never showed up. The staff said that often happens because all passengers are assigned a table because it is never known if they intend to eat elsewhere every night. It wasn't a big deal to us as we enjoyed the company of the one couple that did come to dinner every night.

For the open seating at breakfast and lunch we always say we will sit anywhere and have been at table sizes from two to twelve.

Always choose a table for 8 and we then usually change places each night. We find that 8 gives you more 'flexibility' and we have met some lovely people.

Can not resist saying that it always makes us laugh when you see the people who insist on a table for two then usually spend the evening shouting across to the adjoining table for two !!

Thanks for all feedback.

The six-top has the appeal of being a bit more intimate with the ability to talk with (and hear) everyone. I do like that many have suggested changing seats through the trip.

No firm decision yet, but I'm leaning 6. Anything else I need to consider?

And theOldBear, I hope to meet yo on board. I've joined the roll call.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Once on The Line That Shall Not Be Named we were assigned to a 4-top without another couple assigned to the table. They seemed to put Anytime diners who were looking for an evening in the MDR at our table, otherwise it was just the two of us. We didn't particularly like either outcome

Can not resist saying that it always makes us laugh when you see the people who insist on a table for two then usually spend the evening shouting across to the adjoining table for two !!

We are just such a couple! We choose a two top not because we are antisocial - far from it - but because we only eat one or two courses and simply can't sit while other munch their way through the entire menu!

We are also on that cruise and I keep shifting us from a table for 6 and a table for 8 (both late seating as early seating is waitlisted). With a table for 8, I fear the other 6 diners will bond with each other while we eat in silence. But these experiences of booking a table for 6 and only ending up with 4 at the table don't sound like much fun, either (unless you really hit it off with that couple).