Celebrity vs Royal Caribbean

tigers2425

what are your thoughts on Celebrity vs Royal Caribbean?

We have only ever cruised Royal but understand that Celebrity is their sister company. What are the pros cons? Also, how does our Diamond status work on Celebrity? Does it have any validity?

Please advise Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tigers2425

Your RC Diamond status will make you Elite level on Celebrity. This is not automatic, you must contact Celebrity's Captain's Club and request the reciprocity.

Celebrity is a much more quiet kind of cruise. I want to say that it is better in terms of food, but far worse in terms of entertainment and things to do. So, if you like rock wall climbing, flow riders, mini golf, ice skating and all the exciting shows that RCCL has, you will not like Celebrity. If you are looking for something quieter and more sophisticated without so many kids then you would like Celebrity. Personally, I like Celebrity for a port intensive cruise. I like RCCL for a cruise that is all about the ships. The direct competitors of RCCL are NCL Epic, Getaway, Breakaway and Escape and the MSC Seaside. So, if you are looking for something more similar to RCCL but different, you should try one of those ships. If you want something completely different and more quiet, then you should try Celebrity. If you are into suites, the suites on MSC and NCL have the suites on RCCL beat by a mile in terms of suite decor and amenities. In fact the MSC suite experience in the Yacht Club is all-inclusive. Both offer a private pool for suite guests and private restaurant for suite guests and a whole lot more.

Celebrity is a much more quiet kind of cruise. I want to say that it is better in terms of food, but far worse in terms of entertainment and things to do.

Agree with this although X does have stand out features if you go on their bigger ships like the top deck lawn and the hot glass shows. I also liked how X's seminar entertainment could be a bit more educational rather than 'buy this!'. X also have a big thing with officers vs passengers which is a real entertainment highlight.

Also I feel that X's cabins are of a better standard than RCL.

RCL still win it for us though on overall things to do and atmosphere.

In RCCL family: Royal is marketed as the family line with emphasis on ships as destination, big venues. Celebrity marketed as a more sophisticated and modern line with smaller more intimate venues and more service options by catagory. Azamara is marketed as a boutique line with a more varied itinerary, smaller ships and detailed service.

We enjoy both.

We like Celebrity when sailing with friends and the order of the day is a lot of sitting around. On board activities are very, very low key. Excellent food and service. Elegant ships.

We prefer Royal if its just the two of us and we want a bigger, better variety of things to do on board. Very innovative ship designs. Service still excellent even if food is maybe a step down.

Interesting. Of the five cruises we've done (so far) three have been RCCL and two HAL. Sounds like Celebrity is a lot closer to HAL experience and features wise. We like HAL a lot but never had a bad RCCL experience either. We've been considering another Transatlantic on X but may switch to Transpacific now that we are on the West Coast. X has a nice one (this year) from Vancouver to Japan for $799 that hopefully would be about the same next year. Now that we are Platinum on RCCL the Captains Club reciprocal benefits are better than RCCL's own Platinum perks.

Celebrity is a much more quiet kind of cruise. I want to say that it is better in terms of food, but far worse in terms of entertainment and things to do. So, if you like rock wall climbing, flow riders, mini golf, ice skating and all the exciting shows that RCCL has, you will not like Celebrity. If you are looking for something quieter and more sophisticated without so many kids then you would like Celebrity. Personally, I like Celebrity for a port intensive cruise. I like RCCL for a cruise that is all about the ships. The direct competitors of RCCL are NCL Epic, Getaway, Breakaway and Escape and the MSC Seaside. So, if you are looking for something more similar to RCCL but different, you should try one of those ships. If you want something completely different and more quiet, then you should try Celebrity. If you are into suites, the suites on MSC and NCL have the suites on RCCL beat by a mile in terms of suite decor and amenities. In fact the MSC suite experience in the Yacht Club is all-inclusive. Both offer a private pool for suite guests and private restaurant for suite guests and a whole lot more.

Thank you so much for sharing your expertise and knowledge. We sincerely appreciate it.