Portland, ME port stop

chloe kitty

The port is right at the town.

Vintage railway, and very good rail museum, are close by.

The town is quite walkable.

I understand you can take a ferry around the islands with the locals, as long as you coordinate the times. The ferry is also a very short distance from where you will be docked.

It is probably worth posting on the "Ports" site, for further information.

The old port is extremely walkable - cobblestone streets with cute shops and restaurants all very close to the cruise port, and to each other.

I don't know what times or how long you will be in port, but if you have all adults and like beer there are several excellent craft breweries within walking distance that offer tours, and a "Taste the Town" beer shuttle bus tour that is a lot of fun. I was in Portland for a work outing and we did this as a group and had a blast.

Casco Bay and the tiny islands off Portland are beautiful and there are several companies that run boat tours of the bay and islands. On that same work trip we did a Portland Schooner tour that I would definitely recommend.

If you like seafood I recommend DiMillos which is right on the water in the old port.

An over priced tourist trap. You are paying for the privilege of eating on an old ferry

All a matter of opinion I guess - this tourist enjoyed sitting outside on the deck eating a lobster roll and watching the boats come and go from the marina. I didn't think the price was excessive, the lobster was very fresh, and they must be doing something right to be in business as long as they have been, and pretty much always have a wait.

All a matter of opinion I guess - this tourist enjoyed sitting outside on the deck eating a lobster roll and watching the boats come and go from the marina. I didn't think the price was excessive, the lobster was very fresh, and they must be doing something right to be in business as long as they have been, and pretty much always have a wait.

I agree that DeMillo's gets their draw from the attraction of being on a boat, even one encased in concrete, but it has declined over the years (I've been in Portland for 40 years). There are multitudes of better seafood restaurants in town, that put DeMillo's to shame. Heck, TripAdvisor ranks Becky's Diner above DeMillo's (nothing against Becky's, I think they have the superior lobster roll in town). Boone's Fish House and Oyster Room has a lobster roll that uses the entire meat from a 1-1/4 lb lobster, and is about the best choice for a seafood lunch during a port call.

I agree that DeMillo's gets their draw from the attraction of being on a boat, even one encased in concrete, but it has declined over the years (I've been in Portland for 40 years). There are multitudes of better seafood restaurants in town, that put DeMillo's to shame. Heck, TripAdvisor ranks Becky's Diner above DeMillo's (nothing against Becky's, I think they have the superior lobster roll in town). Boone's Fish House and Oyster Room has a lobster roll that uses the entire meat from a 1-1/4 lb lobster, and is about the best choice for a seafood lunch during a port call.

If one really wants a taste of Maine, get an Italian sandwich. ;p