Cruising while pregnant on TUI?

Extra Kim

I just found out that Legend Of The Seas now sails for TUI as Discovery 2 and I found a cruise that I want to do with my wife. But I can't find their rules for cruising while pregnant, does anyone know?

I just found out that Legend Of The Seas now sails for TUI as Discovery 2 and I found a cruise that I want to do with my wife. But I can't find their rules for cruising while pregnant, does anyone know?

A quick google came up with this...

http://www.thomson.co.uk/destinations/info/cruise-conditions-of-carriage

just scroll down to section 9 which is copy & pasted below.

9. Pregnancy

9.1. Women can cruise onboard our ships up to the 24th week of pregnancy without restriction. If you will be more than 24 weeks pregnant at the end of your cruise then you will not be able to sail. The Carrier reserves the right to request a medical certificate at any stage of pregnancy and to refuse passage if the Carrier and/or the Master are not satisfied that the Passenger will be safe during the passage.

9.2. Pregnant passengers are referred to the clause headed “Medical Treatment” for information regarding the medical facilities on-board.

9.3. The ship’s doctor is not qualified to deliver babies or to offer pre or post natal treatment and no responsibility is accepted by the Carrier in respect of the inability to provide such services or equipment. The Passenger acknowledges and understands that travel by sea involves certain inherent risks, that medical evacuation or disembarkation may be delayed or impossible depending on the Vessel’s location and current weather and sea conditions, and that medical facilities in nearby ports may be limited or non existent.

There are restrictions, and for good reason. Most cruises are within fairly easy distance of "help"...but some cruises, like transatlantic or pacific cruises are DAYS from ANY land...I wouldn't want to have an issue while pregnant on one of those cruises.

There are also age restrictions for traveling by ship with a baby...6 mos. on most cruises..but 24 mos. on those "far from land" trips!

Thanks. I knew the basic rules since before (24 weeks), but cruise lines have different rules when it comes to the "fit to travel" letter from a doctor.

Royal, Celebrity and Azamara does not require any "fit to travel" letter. Some require it in advance and some at the check in. In Sweden it's impossible to get one in advance, you can get one 3 days before the trip.

Thanks. I knew the basic rules since before (24 weeks), but cruise lines have different rules when it comes to the "fit to travel" letter from a doctor.

Royal, Celebrity and Azamara does not require any "fit to travel" letter. Some require it in advance and some at the check in. In Sweden it's impossible to get one in advance, you can get one 3 days before the trip.

They may not require a letter but...if you appear to be more then 24 week pregnant a letter from a doctor verifying how long, and stating fit to travel, is a lot easier then trying to convince a cruise employee you're not lying.

This actually makes sense - someone might be "fit to travel" a month or so before sailing and then develop a problem a week or so before. 3 days could create a time squeeze,but it does make the letter more relevant.