questions about Anthem

We are searching for a cruise out of NY or NJ for next year (end of June) to go on with our friends. Between the two families we will have kids ages 10,8,5 1/2, and just about 2 (depending on the week, he may be 2).

We are considering the Anthem, but one person told our friends that they thought the Anthem felt unstable because of its height/size. They felt it was narrow and tall. I hate going off of one person's review.

I was on the breakaway and didn't feel that was unsteady, but the breakaway is smaller.

The two year old limits us as we want a ship with a nursery/services for him so our friends can enjoy a child-free dinner. Our neighbor said Anthem had services for the baby.

Thoughts? I dont' want to end up spending the trip sea sick. We'd prefer not to fly with the kids so we have a long sail coming from NJ/NY.....

Has anyone traveled on Anthem that felt it was rocky or unsteady when the waters were calm? Or is it just one poor review which I should treat as just one review.....? Any experience on kids programs with Anthem?

We just returned from Anthem (Bermuda 5 day, July 1-6). We had rough seas the first two days and the boat was rocking, for sure. Even calm days we felt more movement than on the Breakaway in 2014. That said, we didn't have issues with the motion. One note though. The lifeguards are serious about keeping kids in swim diapers separate from other pools. Outdoors, there's one small area your 2 year old will be allowed, and one bigger at the indoor. They asked us whether she was in diapers or not, a lot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

The Anthem and Breakaway came off the same assembly line and probably have very similar performance out on the water. Given the same weather, you will probably feel the same amount of movement on both ships. You'll be out of hurricane season and should have good weather. Movement of the ship should be way down the priority list.

Have been on anthem and Quantum a number of cruises and have not felt any extra movement compared to any other RCCL vessels so enjoy. Now if it's unusually rough seas all ships move[emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Anthem and Breakaway came off the same assembly line and probably have very similar performance out on the water. Given the same weather, you will probably feel the same amount of movement on both ships. You'll be out of hurricane season and should have good weather. Movement of the ship should be way down the priority list.

OP is sailing end of June. Hurricane season begins JUNE 1st and runs through Nov 30th.

OP is sailing end of June. Hurricane season begins JUNE 1st and runs through Nov 30th.

and the worst weather Anthem has ever seen was Feb 6. The official hurricane season might include June but the chances of one that early are negligible.

I have cruised Breakaway and Anthem to Bermuda.

Don't book a cabin forward. That's where you'll feel the most motion. I had a brand new cruiser with us last month on Anthem and we had one day of slightly rocky seas (which I don't mind at all) and as soon as we were in the Solarium she felt the motion and got a little scared. Once back farther, she didn't notice the slight rock.

So I wouldn't hesitate to cruise to Bermuda in June again, have done it maybe 5 times already, and we had rough seas only once--on our very first RC cruise ever--Explorer of the Seas--and it was June 1 or so.

Just don't book a cabin from mid-ship to forward. Get Mid-ship toward the stern--and not one of the top decks.

Have fun!

Hubby and I did Bermuda on Anthem last June and found it to be fantastic! We felt the Independence rocking two weeks ago but never felt a thing on Anthem. We had a mid-ship cabin on the 10th floor.

Overall a terrific experience, I would love to take another cruise on her sometime soon :)

Just sailed on Anthem this past May - it was smooth sailing. I like a little motion - I got off the ship after a 9 day cruise and found I had no vertigo as I usually do after sailing.

I think your mileage may vary based upon the specifics of your cruise. In general, in my sample size of 9 days, Anthem is plenty sturdy.

I thought it was the start of hurricane season(?)

I just don't want everyone seasick.... I've done a handful of cruises and one where we had really rough waters and I was fine, but most of the ship was not. My daughter and husband spent the first two days in bed. But, that was a really rough storm and even a lot of the staff members were sick.

I thought it was the start of hurricane season(?)

I just don't want everyone seasick.... I've done a handful of cruises and one where we had really rough waters and I was fine, but most of the ship was not. My daughter and husband spent the first two days in bed. But, that was a really rough storm and even a lot of the staff members were sick.

In my opinion, someone is no more likely to get seasick on the Anthem than on any other cruise ship.

Tell those who think that they may feel unwell: Get some remedies before you leave home. Ginger pills or candy, wrist bands, bonine (though you can get that at Guest Services, IME).

We just did Anthem in June and the first day there was some movement but not any more than any other ship out of NY. We had a forward/mid deck 13 cabin and it was not bad at all.

The earlier in June or May you go the less chance of a storm that would make the water choppy.

The Atlantic to Bermuda just has more movement than Florida cruises. No matter the ship. Anthem is a amazing ship with so much to do and enjoy.

Do not take one review to heart. Pretty much any review that says everything was horrible I ruled out. Some of them get so picky, those people should just never leave home. They didn't make my coffee right, I didn't like the sheets, the chairs are not comfortable.......... No ship, no vacation is perfect but a good attitude will make a world of difference. Making reservations is a much bigger deal on Anthem than the movement.

I've been on both and I get seasick at the drop of a hat. Both ships have a large profile so it's not only the seas that can cause an issue, wind can too. So if it's windy you can get rocking motion and to me it feels slightly different than the sea rocking. Hard to explain in words.

I didn't think Breakaway felt any different than Anthem when it came to motion. Obviously the higher up you are, the worse it feels. My ds was on Breakaway with us and had a bit of a hard time on the first day or so, but we got some of the seasick pills from guest services and were fine after taking a few.

Just got off the Anthem 2 weeks ago. Smooth sailing the whole way to New England and back. I'm one for seasickness and usually need to take pills the whole cruise. This cruise was the first time ever I didn't need anything for motion sickness.