Kids in the health club?

junglejane

What are the rules these days on young kids in the health club? DH and I have cruised with our kids on about 10 Princess cruises (although they’re not with us on this one). We’ve always understood that kids under 16 were not allowed to use the exercise equipment, regardless of whether a parent was present. Am I wrong about that, or have the rules changed? This afternoon the health club was packed after we left Glacier Bay. There were 4 children using the exercise machines. All appeared to be around ages 8-12. Three appeared to be from the same family. When I say “using” I mean sort of pedaling the exercise bikes with lots of loud chatter and giggles (3 of them) or trying to use an elliptical that he was barely tall enough for (1 boy). There were adults and older teens waiting to use the equipment. The three near me on the bikes were there for the entire 30 minutes I was and still there when I left. No one seemed to be supervising the health club. On my way out, I asked at the spa reception desk about the kids. She said that as long as they were with their parents it was fine, and that she had in fact checked to make sure the parents were there. Is she right? Is that the rule? Kids of any age can use the equipment, including during peak hours, as long as a parent is there?

Your understanding of the rules/age limit is my understanding... doesn't mean people don't break the rules.:eek:

Where we live there's a community pool, the rules are posted on a LARGE sign - kid's hours, no floats, no fins, no jumping, no running, no toys, etc. We were there a couple of days ago during "adult" hours and ALL of the rules were being broken at the same time.:(

Below is what it states in the Princess FAQ's. It appears 16 and over. No mention of adult supervision for the fitness center.

Minimum Age

Guest must be over 18 years of age to indulge in any body treatments and at least 16 years of age to utilize the fitness facilities. Other Spa services are available to guest 13 years and older when accompanied by an adult.

It is our experience on most Princess cruises that there is no one to monitor the use of equipment in the health club. I usually go to the health club first thing in the morning and on some ships they have signs on each treadmill that those machines cannot be used until after 8:00 AM.....but you see many passengers come in early and just disregard the signs and put them on the floor....so it is just not the kids.

Princess seems to have a lot of policies and rules but no one from Princess is ever there to enforce them and that leaves the monitoring up to passengers which pits passenger against passenger.....i.e., no saving seats in the theater, no saving lounges at the pool, dress codes, not using designated smoking areas.....the list goes on and on....:mad:

When I say “using” I mean sort of pedaling the exercise bikes with lots of loud chatter and giggles (3 of them) or trying to use an elliptical that he was barely tall enough for (1 boy).?

I have seen old people on the bikes -- and the bikes are not even turned on.

Who is to say how another should use the equipment?

I am waiting for someone on the treadmill without turning it on, though.

It is our experience on most Princess cruises that there is no one to monitor the use of equipment in the health club. I usually go to the health club first thing in the morning and on some ships they have signs on each treadmill that those machines cannot be used until after 8:00 AM.....but you see many passengers come in early and just disregard the signs and put them on the floor....so it is just not the kids.

Princess seems to have a lot of policies and rules but no one from Princess is ever there to enforce them and that leaves the monitoring up to passengers which pits passenger against passenger.....i.e., no saving seats in the theater, no saving lounges at the pool, dress codes, not using designated smoking areas.....the list goes on and on....:mad:

We also usually work out first thing (around 6 or 6:30). Do you know if the Regal is one of the ships with limited treadmill hours? We prefer the running track for cardio, but we have been on past cruises where they were closed (understandably) due to wind.

We also usually work out first thing (around 6 or 6:30). Do you know if the Regal is one of the ships with limited treadmill hours? We prefer the running track for cardio, but we have been on past cruises where they were closed (understandably) due to wind.

Regal, Royal and Majestic allow you to go to the health club anytime you want......another thing I really like about the Royal class ships.....it never really gets full until about 7:30 AM the times I have been on them.....:)