Glacier Bay day, whats the best plan on the Ruby

dvond

Bundle up and head for the Promenade deck. It wraps all around, with stairs up to Emerald Deck at the bow. And it is covered, if weather is damp. There will be a ton of people on the obs. deck above the bridge. Other places may have crowds. You might be able to stake out a chair on the Promenade deck. Ask for a blanket. EM

Bundle up and head for the Promenade deck. It wraps all around, with stairs up to Emerald Deck at the bow. And it is covered, if weather is damp. There will be a ton of people on the obs. deck above the bridge. Other places may have crowds. You might be able to stake out a chair on the Promenade deck. Ask for a blanket. EM

thank you!

Did you get out there around a certain time>

The captain will turn the ship around a full 360 degrees in 45 minutes to an hour at the glacier, so lots of time to move around the ship and view from different vantage points.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

thank you!

Did you get out there around a certain time>

We did this same itinerary the last three years, most recently this past May. You enter the National Park at 6am. Typically you will not arrive to the first Glacier (Margerie Glacier) until after 8:30am, although everything about the Park is scenic especially if you are lucky to gave good weather. The Patter will have this information as well. As another poster noted you will be there just under an hour while the ship makes a 360 degree turn (very slowly). Then you will leave for the next Glacier. The timing of this can very depending on the conditions in the Park, but there will be some time in between to grab a coffee or a snack. We personally like to watch from a higher vantage if the weather is nice enough. We have a favorite area on Deck 16 near the wind barrier between the two pool areas. It is somewhat sheltered from the wind and there is a warm vent ;) I am not sure if anyone else mentioned the Park Service will be in the Skywalker while in the Park to answer questions etc... and there is a presentation in the show lounge after you leave the final Glacier or you can stay on deck and watch for wildlife. We've seen hundreds of sea otters just floating by. :)

We did this same itinerary the last three years, most recently this past May. You enter the National Park at 6am. Typically you will not arrive to the first Glacier (Margerie Glacier) until after 8:30am, although everything about the Park is scenic especially if you are lucky to gave good weather. The Patter will have this information as well. As another poster noted you will be there just under an hour while the ship makes a 360 degree turn (very slowly). Then you will leave for the next Glacier. The timing of this can very depending on the conditions in the Park, but there will be some time in between to grab a coffee or a snack. We personally like to watch from a higher vantage if the weather is nice enough. We have a favorite area on Deck 16 near the wind barrier between the two pool areas. It is somewhat sheltered from the wind and there is a warm vent ;) I am not sure if anyone else mentioned the Park Service will be in the Skywalker while in the Park to answer questions etc... and there is a presentation in the show lounge after you leave the final Glacier or you can stay on deck and watch for wildlife. We've seen hundreds of sea otters just floating by. :)

THis is awesome info, thanks so much! I have 2 teens who will not be up before 8:30 so will set that as a goal

THis is awesome info, thanks so much! I have 2 teens who will not be up before 8:30 so will set that as a goal

Sounds like a plan! You can always use the bridge cam channel on the TV to get an idea of where you are, if I remember correctly that is the same channel the naturalist and the park rangers narrate on. If you or your teens are feeling adventurous you can go on top of the bridge and watch for the first glacier. Go all the way forward on Deck 15 and use the 'secret door' to go to the deck area above the ship's bridge. It can be really cold and windy, but the view on the approach is amazing.

We did this same itinerary the last three years, most recently this past May. You enter the National Park at 6am. Typically you will not arrive to the first Glacier (Margerie Glacier) until after 8:30am, although everything about the Park is scenic especially if you are lucky to gave good weather. The Patter will have this information as well. As another poster noted you will be there just under an hour while the ship makes a 360 degree turn (very slowly).

I've seen this stated many times, but have never experienced it. On my trips to Glacier Bay (and Tracy Arm, the one time we got up to the glacier) the ship sat with the port side facing the glacier for half an hour, then turned 180 degrees so that the starboard site faced the glacier for half an hour. I would find it annoying if the ship was constantly moving (even slowly) because it would mean you would also have to be constantly moving, not able to just stay in one spot for 30 minutes. Usually I stake out a good spot on the port side early in the morning, stay there while the ship is at Margerie for the first half hour, then as soon as the ship starts to rotate, go stake out a good spot on the starboard side before other people figure out that they need to switch sides. ;)

Sherryf is correct. The ship will sit with the port side to the glacier for about a half-hour, then the ship will pivot to the starboard side for about a half-hour, then you will cruise to the next glacier. If the weather is nasty you can stay in your cabin and watch everything on the bridge cam. It's not quite as spectacular and you don't get the sounds of the water and glacier, but you will get the narration. Personally, unless I'm really sick, Glacier Bay day is THE day to be out on deck.

1st Alaskan cruise and wondering what's the bets plan on the Ruby for the day through Glacier Bay?

It says the day is between 6-3pm

Thanks!

One very important thing. Once you find a good spot, it is yours. You will find that people who decided to sleep in or did not plan will come up to you and ask if they can just get in for a moment to take a picture . My answer is always "no". I got up early, planned ahead and got a good spot. You didn't so tough.

DON

One very important thing. Once you find a good spot, it is yours. You will find that people who decided to sleep in or did not plan will come up to you and ask if they can just get in for a moment to take a picture . My answer is always "no". I got up early, planned ahead and got a good spot. You didn't so tough.

I try to be nice about it, but I do hold my ground for the most part. I am only 5' tall, so I really need to be up front on the rail to see. It always annoys me when people well over 6' insist on standing in front blocking everyone else. They can easily stand behind me and still see. I don't budge for anyone tall enough to see over me, but I will make some concessions for anyone shorter than me.... like small children. ;p

I saw a lot of wildlife early in the morning as we entered Glacier Bay, especially hanging out in the wake. Keep your binoculars with you at all times. We were eating lunch on the Lido deck when the naturalist called our attention to mountain goats on a little island, and i was able to get a good look.

I try to be nice about it, but I do hold my ground for the most part. I am only 5' tall, so I really need to be up front on the rail to see. It always annoys me when people well over 6' insist on standing in front blocking everyone else. They can easily stand behind me and still see.

These situations always bring out the best in people -- on one cruise, Mrs. Pablo and I are at the rail.

Some old thing came up behind us, extended a withered claw, hooked the rail, and tried to reel herself

in between us.

Didn't happen.

As my 2 y.o. niece says -- "Sowwy"