How far in advance to book DIY hotels around Denali?

InternetAgeTraveler

Hi! We DIY'd our 6 days on land at the end of June this year. Amazing!! I had all of our lodging booked by Thanksgiving last year. Prices rise a LOT the closer you get. Also, read the bookings carefully, as most cancelation policies allow you to change your mind between 30 days - 1 week before arrival without penalties. So, if you see a great rate, grab it! Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We stayed at the Motel Nord Haven (now called the Aurora Denali Lodge) June 4th and 5th this year. We booked the rooms on June 20th of 2016. We booked so far in advance because rooms sell out quickly in that area. We didn't have to pay anything up front to reserve the rooms and we had until 48 hrs. prior to our arrival to cancel.

We are finishing up a DIY land tour before boarding the Coral on Saturday. We stayed at a wonderful modern cabin group about 7 miles from the Denali entrance, breakfast was included. If that type of experience interests just ask and I will post the name.

We are finishing up a DIY land tour before boarding the Coral on Saturday. We stayed at a wonderful modern cabin group about 7 miles from the Denali entrance, breakfast was included. If that type of experience interests just ask and I will post the name.

Yes, please do. That is where we are looking. When did you book it?

We stayed at the Motel Nord Haven (now called the Aurora Denali Lodge) June 4th and 5th this year. We booked the rooms on June 20th of 2016. We booked so far in advance because rooms sell out quickly in that area. We didn't have to pay anything up front to reserve the rooms and we had until 48 hrs. prior to our arrival to cancel.

Right, according to the book site, only 6 rooms left on the dates we are looking and they now require 10% (non refundable) deposit.

I tried booking them last week for next June and they told me that they could not book that far in advance. How were you able to do it?

JanetAlice- please tell me where you stayed- this is exactly where we would like to be. Thanks in advance.

Robin

I tried booking them last week for next June and they told me that they could not book that far in advance. How were you able to do it?

I'm guessing that since they have changed their name, they are probably under new management and the new owners are doing things different than the former owners did.

There are quite a few cabins around Healy and Carlo Creek, about 15 minutes north and south of the park entrance.

http://www.a1cms.com/_dcc/accommodations/

There's no advantage to waiting.....prices go up, availability dwindles. At the end of the season some owners clean up, close up and leave for the winter and it becomes more difficult to communicate.

If there's a place you're interested in but the 2018 calendar isn't available....call them.

Could you not book because a calendar was not available or because they didn't know what pricing was going to be next year? When we booked 1 year in advance I told her the dates we wanted so she held those dates for us. We were given the 2016 prices and were told that they were subject to change in 2017. We booked knowing that we could cancel without penalty if the prices went way up. As it turned out, the prices stayed the same. I did my booking over the phone and talked to a person, I didn't do it over the internet.

If the calendar is the excuse, you can find a 2018 calendar almost anywhere.

updating my original question with some observations.

Some places do book at least a year out. One place we wanted to stay was already fully booked for one night during our stay. However, we also ran into a number of places that only do a year a time, waiting until the end of the year to post the next years availability. So it seems like if you are willing to stay anywhere you can wait and book later. But if you have a specific place in mind, contact them as soon as you can. They will at least tell you when they plan to take bookings.

The same goes for rental cars. We had to call them to get actual rates for next year since they hadn't set up availability in the main system yet for next year.

i never have a problem with booking Denali area lodging even as late as a couple months in advance. I have a few locations I go between, all would be considered "budget" basic lodging. Car rentals are overall more favorable either the fall prior or sometimes possible for late booking deals. I block several reservations every year.