Golden Gate Bridge--what time?

Hope to sail soon

About 30-40 minutes.

That's about right. If you go to the viewing deck on top of the bridge, as we did, be aware that it will be quite windy and probably cool, so dress accordingly. The views there are about as good as they get for passing under the bridge.

The first time we sailed from San Francisco--same itinerary as the OP's, departing at 4:00, in late August, though--the bridge was shrouded in fog as we approached. It was still, very cool.

You'll have a great cruise. I loved it, and we are doing it, again in September.

Thanks for info!! I was wondering the same thing. We are cruising on the Grand next month 8/26 out of SF. Hopefully the bridge isn't totally shrouded by the fog

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually it is often at its prettiest as the towers rise above the fog but for a first timer I agree a clear day would be best.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We took this same cruise in June. It was a beautiful day when we left, but by the time we went under the bridge, the fog had come in and couldn't see the whole bridge. The fog came up fast.

When we came back to San Francisco on the last day of the voyage, we got up early and took pictures of the sun coming up under the bridge... it was beautiful.

Have a good trip...

Just go to the sail away party on deck and you will experience the ship sailing under the bridge. It's the big event. Be prepared conditions may be windy.

The problem with the sail away party, though while fun, you don't see the bridge until it is on top of you. My hubby and I prefer to endure the wind and watch as we approach and go under it. The atmosphere at the front of the ship is almost New Year's high!

I have read that there recently has been a pod of humpbacks who have been using the bay as a 24 hour buffet. People on cruises over the last few weeks have reported seeing them. Imagine! Less than an hour into your cruise, you might see whales near the Golden Gate Bridge. Wow!!

We like to watch it pass over our heads as we sit in the Lotus Spa hot tubs (assuming they're full and warm) with a special cocktail. That area is always empty during sail away and we're the warmest people on the ship ;)

Yes, we have had humpbacks in the bay lately. Some boats are getting too close. The other day a humpback surfaced under a kite surfer. He caught some unexpected air. The fog hasn't been too thick lately (except the 4th of July). Fog is hit or miss. Frequently it burns back in the afternoon so sail away will often be clear until you pass the Golden Gate. Enjoy.