Gastro Virus on the Diamond Princess

Princess Chatterer

"DOCTORS are battling to contain a highly contagious gastrointestinal virus among almost 4000 passengers and crew on the luxury cruise liner Diamond Princess, which will soon head to Australia."

"First warnings of possible problems came as passengers boarded the fully booked ship in Beijing on November 20."

http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,17410174%5E953,00.html

We had norovirus on our Sun Princess cruise this past May. I can tell you that the Captain and all the crew took this very seriously and Princess quickly implemented precautions to try to reduce the amount of people becoming sick. This involved having crew serve people in the buffet, no salt and pepper shakers at the table, paper menus were used in the dining room and thrown away after use, rolls were served by waiters, people had to sanitize their hands when they arrived on the ship and when they ate at any dining venue, santizing wipes were available in the internet cafe, passengers were encouraged not to use public restrooms, etc . .

We had 6% of our ship sick but if it wasn't for the quick actions by Princess - there would have been a lot more people sick. I can not say anything negative about how Princess acted on our ship - they were serious about containing the illness (illness aka stomach flu).

I have no doubt that Princess is doing everything possible to prevent this from spreading on the Diamond Princess.

Back in May of 2000 on the Sea princess on a Southbound Alaskan cruise we became sick the morning of departure. We had eated at a restaurant in Ankorage and early in the morning we (my wife and I) became very ill. Emesis, etc... We did not know exactly what it was, but it was bad!!!

Had to drive to Seward in a rental car and I had to stop about every 20 minutes to vomit. When we arrived on the ship, we were in a AA Suite in the Aft, and we did nothing for 2 days but stay in our cabin. The doctor did not call it norovirus, he just said a stomach virus.

Needless to say, we 'lossed' some of our vacation time due to that thing! We are returning to Alaska in '06 and will be believing God for good health and protection! :)

That virus is nasty!!

I can not say anything negative about how Princess acted on our ship - they were serious about containing the illness (illness aka stomach flu).

I have no doubt that Princess is doing everything possible to prevent this from spreading on the Diamond Princess.

I would echo that fact.. we were on the Dawn when there was an outbreak. They acted with haste in the same manner to include cleaning the entire ship. Luckily it bypassed us. :)

Do hope this outbreak on The Diamond clears up .

Have travelled with Princess several times and in May 2004 on The Sun 3rd day out to sea developed The Trots ,terrible stomach cramps....The medical department treated me without charge was confined to cabin for several days.....but had trouble that way for several months past the cruise.I am always very careful washing my hands .Was never actually told what I had picked up.Had not been on an onshore excursion when I developed these symptons.

There was a similar incident on the prior cruise 08 November Bangkok – Beijing. Same health warnings sent to my cabin and canned procedures. I wonder how routine these norovirus outbreaks really are.

Unfortunately, they are very common and are not confined to cruise ships. Any place where you have a large number of people in close proximity, such as a business, schools, even hospitals, have experienced this thing. It's so common that CDC doesn't bother tracking it on land. Most of the time it's a very temporary thing you recover from quickly, and might mistake it for food poisoning. It is very easily spread through contact with infected people and can persist on surfaces for quite some time before being passed on.

it's pretty gross when you consider how this is passed by person onto person

if people would just wash their hands thoroughly after using the bathroom, or changing a baby, a lot of these outbreaks could likely be avoided

Back in May of 2000 on the Sea princess on a Southbound Alaskan cruise we became sick the morning of departure. We had eated at a restaurant in Ankorage and early in the morning we (my wife and I) became very ill. Emesis, etc... We did not know exactly what it was, but it was bad!!!

Had to drive to Seward in a rental car and I had to stop about every 20 minutes to vomit. When we arrived on the ship, we were in a AA Suite in the Aft, and we did nothing for 2 days but stay in our cabin. The doctor did not call it norovirus, he just said a stomach virus.

Needless to say, we 'lossed' some of our vacation time due to that thing! We are returning to Alaska in '06 and will be believing God for good health and protection! :)

That virus is nasty!!

Now you would not be able to board if you were that sick! This is what they are trying to prevent because something like your stomach virus can spread rapidly.

Yes, the restuarant we ate at was frequented by the cruise passengers. I for one never ever want to feel like that again! The Norovirus was named for the town in Ohio in which it was initially reported (Norwalk, Ohio)

Hand Sanitizer is a good aid, but it must be used by all if it is to be an effective modailty to help limit the spread of illness.

• 3 weeks later...

Diamond Princess Beiging to Singapore.

We had at least three notices warning us on personal hygene. For a while you could not take your own tea and coffee etc.

We only met one passenger who had been ill and was confined to her cabin. Rumour had it that there were about 5% affected of 4000 passengers and crew. I think this has been exaggerated.

Plenty of hand sprays around the ship. We were fine.

There was a school in Michigan closed this week for few day's because of the norovirus. School's don't make the new's like cruise ships do.

Local school here did make the news, they referred to the virus as "one that usually hits cruise ships".

Such fine quality reporting.

How many passengers use the hand sanitizer onboard? On the past 5 cruises this year regardless of cruise line and cruise ship - VERY FEW. Some don't even know what it is for. When crew would request a passenger to use it, the crew received nasty looks. Lets try to help people understand what the hand sanitizer is for. Maybe they will use it and help reduce this problem. 'Reduce not eliminate.'

Archived