Kettles and coffee and tea, oh my!

ElliotsMum

Alas yes, luke warm hot water from room service was my fear too, electrical overload is just an excuse, they do it on other lines. Will have to bring a very tidy dressing gown and potter in to the buffet with my insulated thermos type cup and collect hot water to make decent tea or instant coffee as I'm not fussed about the brewed type. Just looked at the 15 coupon speciality coffee option, that's a bargain compared to cafe prices in Australian cities. Works out to $3.12 a cup.

Actually Reedy, the card is even better than that. It allows one to get as many brewed coffees and teas as one wishes. I happen to like the International Cafe teas better than those in the Horizon Court because the water is very hot. The coffee is a bit better as well. The 15 punches on the card refer to specialty coffees.

Ok, I'm American, but I do like my tea in the morning. But being American also means when it is hot out (I live in the south) I can appreciate iced tea! I know, the horror! :eek:

That said, we look at cruising as just that - cruising. It's not home. It's not a hotel. It's its own unique thing. As a "cruiser" people seem to develop a style - hang on the lido and party, relax on the Serenity with a book, or have private time on their balcony, just to name a few. We have developed a routine we don't necessarily have at home.

So, if you don't want to lug the kettle and risk it being taken or don't want to try the room service (I suggest bringing your own tea if you can't stomach American Lipton) or think outside the box. Embrace the idea of taking a stroll to get your tea (as others have said you will find better options at IC) and then enjoying it with a lovely ocean view - either by a window or an open deck.

DH is a coffee drinker and is usually not "on line" as he calls it until cup #2. Just like you, he rolls out of bed, visits the restroom and then turns on the coffee pot to heat while the pup goes out. But when cruising, instead of room service knocking, coming in, having a tray blah blah blah, it is easier to throw on some clothes. I take black yoga pants and a hoodie for just this reason. Slip into them and some flip flops, throw the hair in a clip and off we go. If we have slept in, we can head straight to MDR, and grab a table by the window; if it is early, we will go to the Lido and do the same and breakfast when they open. It's our cruising routine and just what we do!

When we cruised on the Diamond Princess out of Fremantle last year we were headed to SE Asia. They stocked kettles.

I asked the steward for a kettle and he brought one right away.

Loved having an early coffee or tea before heading to the gym.

Wish they would out kettles on all ships.

I've always taken a 2 cup size auto shut off travel kettle on every Princess ship I've been on. Never been an issue and always left out in the open. It's essential for a proper cup of tea in the morning.

Mine was confiscated on the Star Princess and it is now clearly stated on the Princess website that they are not allowed.

We use room service as our alarm. As you can now use the Princess at Sea system to order room service breakfast I make sure to request "boiling" water and by the time it gets to us it is okay for tea. I also use large thermal mugs like these and it makes a big difference https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KXWEAM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Alaskanb

just back off the Crown the other week. No kettles in the cabin and the plug sockets are 2 US sockets extremely close together so if you use an adapter the other socket can't be used as the adapter covers it. They are also right next to the phone socket to make it even more crowded. Not very good planning on Princess' part.

Can I ask who sent you that email? I'll ask the same question and see if I get the same answer.

The agent I spoke to was called Konnie Perrio, but I've since emailed back to question it, and another agent has confirmed by saying:

"Dear Jodie,

Thank you for contacting us.

Please accept our apologies for the incorrect information provided.

The tea/coffee facilities are available in the buffet area as you have noted.

With regards to power outlets you're also right - they are US type sockets so you will need to

bring adaptors in order to use them.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again should you need any other information or help.

Kind regards,Reference number (PLEASE DO NOT EDIT) [[*1521969*]]

Phoebe Blamey

Senior Customer Care Executive"

In the meantime, (before this reply came through) my mum also called the travel company direct, and, after being placed on hold several times, was told, conclusively that NO, there are no kettles in any room!! So, there you are! A definitive answer, finally, and a huge thank you to everyone who responded!!! :D You're all awesome!! Mum is going to take a travel kettle aboard with some Twinings/Tetley teabags and hope for the best, but i'm just gonna go with the flow, and get a "new routine"!

Ok, I'm American, but I do like my tea in the morning. But being American also means when it is hot out (I live in the south) I can appreciate iced tea! I know, the horror!

That said, we look at cruising as just that - cruising. It's not home. It's not a hotel. It's its own unique thing. As a "cruiser" people seem to develop a style - hang on the lido and party, relax on the Serenity with a book, or have private time on their balcony, just to name a few. We have developed a routine we don't necessarily have at home.

So, if you don't want to lug the kettle and risk it being taken or don't want to try the room service (I suggest bringing your own tea if you can't stomach American Lipton) or think outside the box. Embrace the idea of taking a stroll to get your tea (as others have said you will find better options at IC) and then enjoying it with a lovely ocean view - either by a window or an open deck.

DH is a coffee drinker and is usually not "on line" as he calls it until cup #2. Just like you, he rolls out of bed, visits the restroom and then turns on the coffee pot to heat while the pup goes out. But when cruising, instead of room service knocking, coming in, having a tray blah blah blah, it is easier to throw on some clothes. I take black yoga pants and a hoodie for just this reason. Slip into them and some flip flops, throw the hair in a clip and off we go. If we have slept in, we can head straight to MDR, and grab a table by the window; if it is early, we will go to the Lido and do the same and breakfast when they open. It's our cruising routine and just what we do!

A&JFamily - I think i'll be much the same. I'm a "different person" on holiday than at home anyway (isn't everyone?!) So a morning stroll for a coffee and a quiet spot to daydream out the window or on deck will be just grand, and will give me a chance to wake up!!! I am the furthest from a "morning person" and at home am usually bleary eyed until the 2nd cup, same as your DH, no matter what time i've woken up!! On holiday, i'm usually up and raring to go by 7 as don't want to miss a second of the day, and need to get a quick breakfast and get sunbathing, or sight-seeing or swimming!!

Don't really know what to expect yet, as a first timer, but i'm looking forward to finding out my Cruise routine! :cool::ship:

We don't really "do" Iced Tea here, only the Lipton bottled stuff, which i don't mind, but couldn't imagine drinking frequently, as it's very sweet!! (http://amzn.to/2uuE2LV) But i'm more of a coffee drinker anyway! Hot, Iced, Blended, Flavoured.... i love it all!!! :hearteyes::hot-beverage:

Hope you're all having a wonderful day! :*

On all of our Princess cruises we have had nice hot water delivered first thing in the morning as our wake up call (along with other goodies such as coffee, juices and a few sweets). I bring my own tea bags and it works well. Then later we proceed to a nice breakfast!

The only tea available at the buffet is Lipton...not exactly what most from the U.K. would be looking for. We cruised with a couple who brought their own teabags because there was a particular kind they liked best. She would just order hot water in the dining room, and hot water is available in the buffet- may not be as hot as you're accustom to

I'm sure I've seen it mentioned elsewhere on this forum that Princess does indeed put kettles in cabins on cruises that depart from UK ports.

We've sailed out of Southampton three times, and we've never had a kettle in the cabin.

The only tea available at the buffet is Lipton...not exactly what most from the U.K. would be looking for. We cruised with a couple who brought their own teabags because there was a particular kind they liked best. She would just order hot water in the dining room, and hot water is available in the buffet- may not be as hot as you're accustom to
There has always been a fairly wide selection of complementary tea bags available in the Horizon Court in addition to Lipton regular and decaf including:

Twinings English Breakfast

Bigelow Earl Grey

Bigelow Darjeeling

Bigelow Mint Medley

Bigelow Orange & Spice

Bigelow I Love Lemon

Bigelow Cozy Chamomile

Don't know if any of these will make a good "cuppa" but you do have some options.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't know if you received a good answer regarding the power receptacles but the Crown has no readily accessible 220V outlets. They are only three prong 120V U.S. style outlets. There is at least one 220V European Schuko outlet under the bed nearest the bathroom.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've always been able to find Bigelow's Earl Gray tea which is pretty good in Horizon Court on Princess ships but I bring my own tea bags anyway: they don't weigh anything and I'd be unhappy with Lipton.

The only tea available at the buffet is Lipton...not exactly what most from the U.K. would be looking for. We cruised with a couple who brought their own teabags because there was a particular kind they liked best. She would just order hot water in the dining room, and hot water is available in the buffet- may not be as hot as you're accustom to ��

There is Lipton but every Princess ship I have been on in the past few years has also had excellent Twining or equally good Bigelow teabags in the buffet free of charge.

Most British irish or Commonwealth passengers seem to like the red packaged English Breakfast Teabags for a "normal" cup of tea.

I've always taken a 2 cup size auto shut off travel kettle on every Princess ship I've been on. Never been an issue and always left out in the open. It's essential for a proper cup of tea in the morning.

Is that a Korjo Travel kettle about 450

ml or just one of the smaller ones you can buy now like the tefal one

Edited by reedy8
I cant spell!

This is Princess's note re kettles.

yes, the site says that, but so does Royal Caribbean and they have supplied kettles on UK, Asia and Australian cruises for at least the last 2 years. It would be too difficult for them I guess to be area specific on their websites, eg heating pads, hot plates, kettles (except in cruises that depart or arrive at UK Asian & Australian destinations) etc I rang RC before my last cruise and they said

no, so I asked on the RC page of this wonderful website and everyone yes, they were available in all categories. So like this poster I had also asked about Princess. Alas, it looks like the answer is no, but as Baldrick in Blackadder would say 'have a cunning plan'