Kettles and coffee and tea, oh my!

ElliotsMum

Hellloooo!!!!

My first time posting on here, but I'm getting very confused!! I have gone through several threads, photos and an app(!) to try to find out if there were tea making facilities in each room, and also to enquire on the plug socket/outlets aboard the Crown Princess.

I have checked through other peoples questions and advice, and scoured photographs, and made peace with there being no kettle/coffee station, and got used to the idea that I'll be massively well acquainted with the room service fellow, or shall be traipsing down to the cafe in my PJs for my morning coffee!!! :')

As a last resort (and at my mum's request) I sent a quick email to our TA, with details of Ship (Crown), Destination (Med), Date (29th) and Booking References, just to clarify.... and received this email back...

"Good Morning

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that your cabin will have a travel kettle with a tray containing an assortment of Tea, coffee and sugar. This will be re-stocked accordingly by your cabin steward. If your cabin does not contain a kettle on arrival then this can be requested from your cabin steward also.

With regards to the plug sockets in on board, these will be UK plug sockets the same as you will have at home.

Kind Regards"

Is this correct? I will be over the moon if it's true, but I was convinced that there were no kettles in the rooms, and that the outlets were US and/or EU 2-pin plugs?

Can anybody confirm for me please?! If it makes a difference, my mum has a wheelchair accessible interior cabin, and I have a standard Interior.

Thanks in advance! :)

Jodie xxx

Sorry, but it's not correct. There is no travel kettle of any kind in the staterooms. There is a tray on the counter above the refrigerator. Also your room steward will supply ice. Outlets are US plugs. I don't think the kind of cabin makes any difference regarding plugs or kettles.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry, but it's not correct. There is no travel kettle of any kind in the staterooms. There is a tray on the counter above the refrigerator. Also your room steward will supply ice. Outlets are US plugs. I don't think the kind of cabin makes any difference regarding plugs or kettles.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the quick reply!! I didn't think it was true, but wanted to be a little hopeful just in case. I had seen the tray with glasses and the ice bucket in the fridge, but never any kettles.

How odd that she would say that this is the case.... I shall have to email back and let her know!!

Thanks again Sea Day Cruiser! x

Princess does not have kettles in their cabins. So you will have to either order room service or go to the buffet to get morning tea

Thanks Paul!!! Room service it will have to be then!! (Does seem like a huge waste of time/energy/resources for the stewards to be traipsing up and down every time I/someone need/s a coffee... though I do understand the fire hazard kettles pose, its annoying: the previous cruise my mum was on (P&O) had kettles in each room)

I'm a total newbie to cruising, so i'm sure there's a perfectly good explanation!!

Thanks again xxxx

Take a few $$ for tips for the hard working room service staff. ;)

You could also go to the International Cafe (open 24hrs) to get tea.

I plan to Keith, don't worry!!! :halo::D

Hi racj846, I've already purchased a coffee card, and planned the fastest route, just in case!! Hahaha!! ;p :')

Thanks everyone!! xxx

Your TA must have confused your sailing with one on the QM2. There is a kettle and coffee/tea service in each cabin on the QM2. They even include two biscuits each day!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your TA must have confused your sailing with one on the QM2. There is a kettle and coffee/tea service in each cabin on the QM2. They even include two biscuits each day!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lucky them!! 2 biscuits a day..... I'd need more than that if i'm going to have a dunk! :p

I'm sure the brisk morning jaunt to IC will wake me up, can get caffeinated and motivated, ready to start the day!! (Or i'll call room service, so there's more time to get ready!! Either/Or!) x

Actually, I believe only on Asian itineraries there is a kettle. There may have been tea (I am not a tea drinker) but I remember no coffee. I never used the kettle. This was on Sapphire Princess Feb-Mar 2016.

Elliots mum, you did good getting the coffee card.

Hellloooo!!!!

My first time posting on here, but I'm getting very confused!! I have gone through several threads, photos and an app(!) to try to find out if there were tea making facilities in each room, and also to enquire on the plug socket/outlets aboard the Crown Princess.

I have checked through other peoples questions and advice, and scoured photographs, and made peace with there being no kettle/coffee station, and got used to the idea that I'll be massively well acquainted with the room service fellow, or shall be traipsing down to the cafe in my PJs for my morning coffee!!! :')

As a last resort (and at my mum's request) I sent a quick email to our TA, with details of Ship (Crown), Destination (Med), Date (29th) and Booking References, just to clarify.... and received this email back...

"Good Morning

I can confirm that your cabin will have a travel kettle with a tray containing an assortment of Tea, coffee and sugar. This will be re-stocked accordingly by your cabin steward. If your cabin does not contain a kettle on arrival then this can be requested from your cabin steward also.

With regards to the plug sockets in on board, these will be UK plug sockets the same as you will have at home.

Kind Regards"

Is this correct? I will be over the moon if it's true, but I was convinced that there were no kettles in the rooms, and that the outlets were US and/or EU 2-pin plugs?

Can anybody confirm for me please?! If it makes a difference, my mum has a wheelchair accessible interior cabin, and I have a standard Interior.

Thanks in advance! :)

Jodie xxx

I asked the same question just last week and everyone said no, but I knew that a lot of lines that go to the UK, Asia and Australia are changing their minds due to the demand. In some cultures its the difference between booking that line or booking another line like Royal Caribbean who now supply them. My morning routine like a lot of Australians (and English people) is get up, visit bathroom, put the kettle on. If Princess increases their cruises out of mainland China and don't supply kettles, they will loose many cruisers. I too don't fancy pottering along to the buffet in my PJ's to get a cup and if I use room service it will have to be at the time I nominate, not the time I wake up naturally and I fear the water won't be boiling like you need to brew a good cup. Can I ask who sent you that email? I'll ask the same question and see if I get the same answer. Sea Princess is going into dry dock in Singas just after my October cruise, perhaps they will consider including them then.

Edited by reedy8
spelling error

Hellloooo!!!!

"Good Morning

Kind Regards"

:)

This is all untrue. No kettle or tray with assortment of tea makings. No possibility to request kettle. No UK sockets, just US and European.

And you are not allowed to bring your own kettle, coffee maker or whatever on board.

Your travel agent is incorrect and ignorant and should not be doing that job.

I'm sure I've seen it mentioned elsewhere on this forum that Princess does indeed put kettles in cabins on cruises that depart from UK ports.

Not on my cruise from Southampton on the Caribbean Princess last year.

As others have posted, there are some reports of kettles being added for cruises originating in the U.K. If you are on this Saturday's 14 night cruise RT out of Southampton you might be in luck but who knows for certain. Please post back after you return to let us know.

I'm sure I've seen it mentioned elsewhere on this forum that Princess does indeed put kettles in cabins on cruises that depart from UK ports.

Maybe you did, but a fallacy, no matter how often it is repeated, does not become true.

Princess do not allow it because they worry about electrical overload and/or possibility of other damage occurring by use of beverage making equipment.

Room service tea is awful on Princess, a jug of hottish water and a nasty cheap Liptons tea bag to put in it yourself. Ugh!

Can't make a good cup of tea like that.

Maybe you did, but a fallacy, no matter how often it is repeated, does not become true.

Princess do not allow it because they worry about electrical overload and/or possibility of other damage occurring by use of beverage making equipment.

Room service tea is awful on Princess, a jug of hottish water and a nasty cheap Liptons tea bag to put in it yourself. Ugh!

Can't make a good cup of tea like that.

Alas yes, luke warm hot water from room service was my fear too, electrical overload is just an excuse, they do it on other lines. Will have to bring a very tidy dressing gown and potter in to the buffet with my insulated thermos type cup and collect hot water to make decent tea or instant coffee as I'm not fussed about the brewed type. Just looked at the 15 coupon speciality coffee option, that's a bargain compared to cafe prices in Australian cities. Works out to $3.12 a cup.

Edited by reedy8
I just cant spell

I've always taken a 2 cup size auto shut off travel kettle on every Princess ship I've been on. Never been an issue and always left out in the open. It's essential for a proper cup of tea in the morning.

I've always taken a 2 cup size auto shut off travel kettle on every Princess ship I've been on. Never been an issue and always left out in the open. It's essential for a proper cup of tea in the morning.

That's the answer, and that's what lots of UK passengers do