What to do from Civitavecchia on a Monday (other than Rome)?

CaribbeanBound

We'll be in Civitavecchia by 5:00 am on a Monday morning. I've seen some great ideas on Rome excursions (but we'll already have spent 3 full days in Rome) and a wonderful idea to go to Tarquinia (which we were ready to do until we found out the museums are closed on Mondays).

So, what's left to do that's easy, relatively inexpensive, and really cool?

Is this just a port day? Or are you headed somewhere for the night, or to the airport?

It's tough to think of options for Mondays that are nearby and inexpensive. Driving to Orvieto would be one option but not cheap unless you feel comfortable renting a car and driving.

If it were me I'd just head back into Rome. (I've spent the equivalent of at least a couple of months in the city and I can always find something new to do there....)

First sleep in until 9AM. Go have breakfast. At 11AM head into town for a nice stroll and shopping. Find a nice Pizza place for beer and wine and pizza for a late lunch. Head back to the ship. This excursion will cost you $60 p/p, so just deposit in Tom's Paypal account. OH, I forgot it's Monday, I have free excursions on Monday. Enjoy your walk and lunch.

We feel your pain as we dislike Monday's in Italy....even more then we dislike Sundays! Having been to the region many times, it is tempting to just stay on the ship....or perhaps have lunch in Civitavecchia. But the last time this happened we just grabbed the train into Rome and spent part of the day sipping drinks at our favorite spot which is the Piazza Navona. We then went over to the Capitoline Museums...which is one place that is open on Mondays (at least it used to be open). A nice long lunch is also a great way to enjoy Italy.

Hank

We ran into the Monday problem on our trip this year. Ostia Antica is closed. Tarquinia was completely dead when we stopped for lunch. Villa d'Este is also closed although Villa Adriana is open. Most of the museums in Rome are also closed on Mondays. I like Cruisermom's suggestion of Orvieto and you could stop at Bagnaregio on the way but it will take a long time to get there...

Yes, it's an interesting thing. Rome is finally starting to open a few of its museums on Mondays.

The ones I know of include the Capitoline Museum mentioned by Hank above (a wonderful museum with great views over the Roman Forum), and also the Musei dei Fori Imperiali (Museum of the Imperial Forums), which is located on the opposite side of the wide street in front of the Roman forum and allows you to see how the various Imperial Forums looked and -- most interestingly -- allows you to walk around portions of Trajan's Market and Forum.

Also the small but lovely museum that houses the Ara Pacis is open. The museum itself is modern and caused controversy when it opened, rather like the pyramid in front of the Louvre. The Ara Pacis is a beautiful small building/temple/altar from the era of Augustus with beautiful carving and a frieze that (to me) rivals that of the Parthenon. It's amazing to me that more people don't visit it, but as has been said above, Rome is full of treasures that would be considered "must see" sites in any other city, yet in Rome they are often overlooked.